PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 filmholder bag/case

Don Hutton
7-Oct-2008, 05:39
Anyone have any recommendations about a bag or case for carrying 6-10 5x7 filmholders? There are a lot of custom options for 4x5 but I haven't seen anything for 5x7.

Kevin Crisp
7-Oct-2008, 05:45
I've had good luck with insulated bags as found in sporting goods stores, made for carrying lunches. They usually hold at least 5.

hmf
7-Oct-2008, 05:55
Quality Camera sells them. I have no idea about the differences in quality, but would bet they're way more expensive than the lunch bags.

Robert Fisher
7-Oct-2008, 06:39
WalMart. "AirLok" bags in sporting goods section. Designed for carrying cold items with removable plastic container and snap fit top. Different sizes and colors. Look like $75 bags but cost $10-$14. I also use anti static bags to wrap each holder. I use the "AirLok" bags for 45, 57 and 810 holders.

Ron Marshall
7-Oct-2008, 07:52
I also use an old camera bag that I had lying around; the price was right.

Eric Woodbury
7-Oct-2008, 11:32
An ammo box will hold 9 5x7 holders. They are heavy, but waterproof, air tight, and bullet proof. And pretty cheap. I add a layer of mat board on the inside for padding and a clean look.

jeroldharter
11-Oct-2008, 20:16
Check out reel cases. I just looked up the ones from Cabelas but they are no longer listed on their website. Perhaps I bought the last two on sale?

They are padded with dividers, kind of like a small briefcase, and would be good for film holders.

Similar, but more expensive models, are available from Fishpond and Orvis.

shmoo
11-Oct-2008, 20:23
You also might look at Eagle Creek in the packing accessories. They have a line of Pack-It sacs that hold 3-4 film holders, zippered, and it has a hanger clip on the corner. I use 2 medium ones to carry 2 Grafmatics and 4 Fidelity Elites.

Tracy Storer
11-Oct-2008, 21:04
Look at soft-sided insulated coolers. Years ago I found some coolers with a rectangular hard plastic bucket insert....remove the insert and it was a PERFECT fit for a nice fat stack of 5x7 holders. (maybe 10 holders?)

Ross Chambers
11-Oct-2008, 23:51
I'm reluctant to admit it in this forum, but plastic lunch/food storeage boxes from the village supermarket. Admittedly I need 2, each housing 3 holders.

Probably not very impressive to any pros using 5x7 (are there any?), but dust tight, sturdy and lightweight.

And as I dig this hole deeper: similar for 4x5 holders.

It's ironic that my photographic equipment supplier tipped me off to the (obvious now) idea of flexible do it yourself approaches to many pieces of gear that he could have made a buck from.

Regards - Ross

Turner Reich
11-Oct-2008, 23:53
I use "Tupperware" containers for my 4x5.

ljsegil
12-Oct-2008, 03:45
I just saw a Domke "Super Pouch" at Helix that looked like it ought to fit 4-5 5x7 film holders, or a rollback and some other random gear, and had a variety of camper type doo-dads for attachment to you, a pack, or a bag. Looked very nice though not too padded, I don't recall the price but as Domke goes it didn't seem too bad, though no Target special. Came in at least two sizes. Tempting at the time.
LJS

Jiri Vasina
12-Oct-2008, 13:20
I have some old notebook case which I use to carry my 5x7"/13x18cm/5x8" holders. It takes 12 comfortably, can squeeze 13-14, but that's tight. It's light, has some padding to protect the holders. Works well for me...

Michael Alpert
13-Oct-2008, 08:50
Don,

I use a Domke F-2 "Original," which I bought used. With the lens inset taken out, it holds up to 12 5x7 holders. I enclose each holder in a static-free plastic bag. I put a spare cable-releae and other small items in the end pockets. I have a separate bag for lenses. This works well for me in the field. I can carry my camera on its tripod and the two shoulder bags without diffculty. For real hikes I cut down on the number of holders and/or lenses.

Kevin Crisp
13-Oct-2008, 12:54
If you want to go with something bigger, then I agree with Tracy and I have a couple of those. Soft insulated bags with a white plastic insert. Holds maybe 24 holders. the brand name is California something and Target had them.

Vaughn
13-Oct-2008, 13:10
And as I dig this hole deeper: similar for 4x5 holders.Regards - Ross

Those are manly compared to the free baby bottle insulated bags( holds two bottles) I use (given to new mothers by formula makers). :p Holds five 4x5 holders.

Vaughn

Robert A. Zeichner
13-Oct-2008, 15:17
http://www.californiainnovations.com/products/ci/lunch-bags/upright-hardbody-lunch-box/

this has worked for me.

Ron Bose
13-Oct-2008, 15:23
I have the Gnass Gear 5x7 holder wrap/case.

Shame they're hard to find now ...

Ross Chambers
13-Oct-2008, 23:17
Those are manly compared to the free baby bottle insulated bags( holds two bottles) I use (given to new mothers by formula makers). :p Holds five 4x5 holders.

Vaughn

At my age there are still some sacrifices I will make for LF, but as far as the sleepless nights and napkin changes (and securing the poisonous chemistry from the ankle biters) goes, I'll stick to lunch boxes and occasional grandkids!

Regards - Ross

D. Bryant
14-Oct-2008, 06:36
Anyone have any recommendations about a bag or case for carrying 6-10 5x7 filmholders? There are a lot of custom options for 4x5 but I haven't seen anything for 5x7.

The small brown paper bags from QT work pretty good in a pinch.

Don Bryant

Jerry Bodine
15-Oct-2008, 13:11
Don,

I know this is a bit overkill for your stated purpose, but others may find it useful. You might want to check out the Pelican 1527 padded bag that I use. I find that after removing all the padded inserts I have room for 24 5x7 holders (upright) OR 12 8x10’s (on sides) without allowance for individual holder dust protection – a fairly good load when full, so I move slower but it beats going all the way back to the truck for reload. It has additional pockets for misc stuff, a detachable shoulder strap with plenty of length adjustment, and a comfortable strap-type hand-carry handle for short distances, is very well made, will last a long time, well padded, good insulation, reasonable dust protection when closed (but still a good idea to use individual holder dust protection). B&H price today is about $74 (B&H #PE1527). Weight is a little over 1.6 lbs empty.

Jerry

John Bowen
15-Oct-2008, 13:38
I found some "lunch bucket" type bags at Walmart last year. They actually look like a good old fashioned lunch bucket, except they are made of vinyl and are insulated. I have 10 5x7 holders in one "bucket." I can also store a few energy bars in the lid of the "bucket." I think these things cost about $12-15.

Take a film holder to your nearest Walmart or other store that sells various types of "coolers" and find one that fits. If you go in the spring when all the summer stuff is out, it ought to take you about 10 minutes to find one that will work for you.

John