PDA

View Full Version : 10x8 film delivered to LA hotel

747sp
7-Oct-2008, 04:48
i am going to be in LA next week and would like to get some 10x8 (or even 8x10) film delivered to the hotel i am staying at - I am assuming it is cheaper in the states - most things are...does anyone know a good online retailer to order it from? Thanks...

climbabout
7-Oct-2008, 05:22
Try Freestyle Photographic - they are located nearby in Hollywood. I've used them in the past and they are very reliable.
Tim

MIke Sherck
7-Oct-2008, 05:35
Freestyle is very good. WWW.freestylephoto.biz

David A. Goldfarb
7-Oct-2008, 05:43
Freestyle and Samy's are excellent and local, but that means you pay state sales tax. Depending on how much film you are purchasing, it may be cheaper to have it shipped from out of state, particularly if you are having it shipped to your hotel anyway rather than picking it up in person. You might try Glazer's in Seattle, The View Camera Store, or B&H, to have it shipped. Shipping cost can vary by distance, so Glazer's or The View Camera Store will be closer, but B&H often has the best price on film. You can find websites for all these places via Google.

BrianShaw
7-Oct-2008, 06:53
Freestyle and Samy's are excellent and local, but that means you pay state sales tax.

Stop being so cheap, Mr. Goldfarb... didn't you hear our Governor, Arnold, say we're going broke and might need a bailout. We need some of that tax revenue! :)

Toyon
7-Oct-2008, 07:39
Freestyle and Samy's are excellent and local, but that means you pay state sales tax. Depending on how much film you are purchasing, it may be cheaper to have it shipped from out of state, particularly if you are having it shipped to your hotel anyway rather than picking it up in person. You might try Glazer's in Seattle, The View Camera Store, or B&H, to have it shipped. Shipping cost can vary by distance, so Glazer's or The View Camera Store will be closer, but B&H often has the best price on film. You can find websites for all these places via Google.

B&H won't ship to a hotel.

John Kasaian
7-Oct-2008, 07:41
Stop being so cheap, Mr. Goldfarb... didn't you hear our Governor, Arnold, say we're going broke and might need a bailout. We need some of that tax revenue! :)

I find that if you buy Freestyle's Arista .edu Ultra (repackaged Fomapan) you'll get a great price even with California sales tax added. For Kodak and Ilford films, ordering from Badger Graphic is far more cost effective even with the shipping to California.

vinny
7-Oct-2008, 07:52
Freestyle doesn't sell 8x10 transparency anymore if that's what you're looking for. Otherwise they usually have b+w in stock.

747sp
7-Oct-2008, 09:49
no - i am after some Fuji 160 10x8 negative film. I note that they only seem to do the S version which is a shame - i think the C is far better. Thanks for all your replies.

shmoo
7-Oct-2008, 10:40
There's also a Calumet on N. Highland Ave. Sorta' near Samy's on Fairfax. I'd be willing to bet that you could have either of them order the film for you if it's not in stock... In LA I think the sales tax is 8.25%

John Kasaian
7-Oct-2008, 15:01
Check out www.ultrafineonline.com for Fuji sheet film. I know they have a sale on 8x10 Astia 100F and Velvia 100F They are in the LA area.

John Kasaian
7-Oct-2008, 15:04
I'm not certain but if you order and pay for film abroad, you might be able to pick it up in California without paying the sales tax. It could be worth looking in to.

Bruce Watson
7-Oct-2008, 15:22
i am going to be in LA next week and would like to get some 10x8 (or even 8x10) film delivered to the hotel i am staying at - I am assuming it is cheaper in the states - most things are...does anyone know a good online retailer to order it from? Thanks...

I've done this before. It's both easier and harder than it sounds. Do call the hotel, do speak to the manager (day or night manger -- find out when your shipper of choice tends to deliver to that particular hotel), do let him/her know what you are going to do, what's in the package, when it's supposed to arrive, all that. Otherwise it might get tossed into a storage closet somewhere and never be seen again. Also, do put your confirmation number on the outside of the box -- so they can look it up and see that you are in fact an arriving guest. Add the words "Hold for Arrival on xx-xxx-2008" to the outside of the box too.

When I've done this I used Badger Graphic. (http://www.badgergraphic.com/) Jeff (their LF guy) is very easy to deal with and Badger is happy to work with you to get the film where you want it on the day that you want it there. Badger is one of the big Fuji film importers in the USA also, just so you'll know.

Good luck and have a fun visit.

Richard M. Coda
7-Oct-2008, 18:49
Call Rod Klukas at Photomark in Phoenix... (800) 777-6627

www.photomark.com

belle
7-Oct-2008, 19:44
Samy's and Calumet rarely have 8x10 in stock. You should definitely order it in advance.

Kirk Gittings
7-Oct-2008, 19:56
B&H will not ship to a hotel/motel. It is clearly stated on their website. On long trips back when I only shot film commercially. I always used Freestyle or Calumet for motel/hotel shipping.

Vaughn
7-Oct-2008, 20:19
Kirk, I read the B&H wedsite, and it says they will not deliver online orders to hotels and to call them. I wonder if they will ship phone orders to hotels.

It might be to avoid shipping to non-billing addresses and getting ripped off.

Vaughn

C. D. Keth
8-Oct-2008, 01:29
You could just go to freestyle's store. It's on Sunset Blvd. near Normandie (I think it's just east of Normandie. It's on the south side of the street). It's a nice little store.

747sp
8-Oct-2008, 10:10
Thanks guys - all ordered from Badger Graphic and have spoken to the hotel who have even offered to put the package in the fridge when it arrives.

As an aside does anyone know why Fuji dont make a C Version of 160 at 8x10 size - i think i much prefer it for landscapes over S when comparing similar photographs that have come out of my RB67.