PDA

View Full Version : 4 1/2 by 5 1/8 negative size

redrockcoulee
6-Oct-2008, 20:51
I obtained a couple of older wooden holders that the gate measures as the title states or 112 by 135mm. They look like they were made for plates as there is a sprung metal to hold the plate tight to the edge of the holder. What size would these be called? I have decided to really specialize as a collector to a wooden film holder of each size I come upon if they are inexpensive and are surplus to my needs in the field :) so now there are five from 8X10 down to 3 1/2 by 4 1/4. So I have ended up with three sizes of holders I do not have a camera for and at least one camera size (5X8) that I have no holder for.

One of the 4X5 holders I obtained also had a colour photo of a water fall in it. As none of my other holders have colour prints in them I think that it was not original :)

Brian Stein
7-Oct-2008, 01:53
Cant help with the holder size, but Chamonix do make a 5x8 holder, the idea being to cut down 10x8 film.

robert fallis
7-Oct-2008, 05:22
If it had been 4 1/2 by 6 1/4 it would have been half plate it looks like it must be a european size

bob

redrockcoulee
7-Oct-2008, 09:06
Yes the first thought was half plate but my math is too good for that to work. It is a very interesting holder has the plate or whatever loads from the opposite end than is normal, the end opposite from the darkslide slot does not open, instead the media is loaded from that end and pushed against a spring. And it has deep grooves on the outside along half the side. I am going to post a photo of it Friday if anyone is interested.

Afraid my 5X8 will remain a display item. No movements, don't like that rectangular of an image and with a 5X7 and now getting a whole plate it seems pointless. It would be nice to eventually get an old holder for it though.

goamules
7-Oct-2008, 09:36
That's a weird one, but you should know the "half-plate" was the most variable size of them all. During the early ambro/dag period 4¼" x 5½" was the norm. Yours is pretty close to that, though obviously from a later, dryplate era. I'll keep looking for you.