PDA

View Full Version : New to LF, need help picking a camera

sfjphotography
5-Oct-2008, 23:54
I hope someone can help me out here, i'm a little bit lost as to which way to go. I'm currently looking a few different cameras:
1. Toyo View G + 250mm extension rail & case - $325
2. Toyo View CX - $310
3. Sinar A-1 - $299
4. Cambo SCX - $339
5. Cambo SC - $225
6. Calumet NX - $379
I plan to use the camera for everything, I shoot alot of landscape (a big reason for getting a LF camera) but plan to use it for architecture and also in the studio for still life and portraiture. I want to buy the best camera I can for the money without going over $350 for the body. Also will the rotating Graflok accept cut sheet film holders or is only for roll film holders? I haven't really decided on lenses either, what would you recomend? I was thinking of a 135 F5.6 Nikkor copal, 150 F5.6 Nikkor copal, or a 210 F5.6 SIRONAR for a first lens.

Thanks in advance,

Eugene van der Merwe
6-Oct-2008, 00:21
I don't know the other models, but the Cambo is simple, reliable and easy to use. I've used the 4 x 5 and 6 x 9 for years and haven't had a day's trouble with either. It's easy to customize too. The graflock takes standard sheet film holders, and rollfilm holders if you unclip the groundglass.
I'd go for the 150 nikkor over the 135, i use one and it's sharp and compact, and has more coverage than the 135. I suspect the Sironar would be sharper than the nikkors, but possibly a little long for a lot of landscape applications, and also bigger, heavier and more expensive.

Marko
6-Oct-2008, 05:31
Ditto for Cambo. Get the SC, the only difference between SC and SCX are cosmetics. Parts and additions are plentiful and cheap and some are interchangeable between a lot of models, including 8 x 10 of the same type if you decide to go that route later.

There is nothing subtle about these cameras, they're built like tanks and will take almost anything and yet are pretty flexible and provide all the capabilities you really need. Your money is better spent on lenses.

Speaking of which, I bought 210 first and didn't regret it, but if you know you want landscapes, 135 will give you slightly wider than normal and IMHO also more natural angle of view. Any modern version of the Big Four should do.

Good luck.

aduncanson
6-Oct-2008, 09:43
The Cambo rotating Graflok back adds both cost and weight to your purchase. I am very content with Cambo's non-rotating Graflok back. It easily switches from landscape to portrait, but does not offer the intermediate positions.

Joshua Dunn
6-Oct-2008, 17:24
I am a big believer in Sinar. Plenty of accessories are available, they sell pretty cheap on the big auction site and are extremely well engineered. They do have a Graflok back (for use with the roll film backs you mentioned, it can be turned in either direction but does not rotate, it does easily remove and reinstall in seconds). I use mine for architecture, portraits, landscapes and everything else. I would look for a good Sinar F2.

paul08
6-Oct-2008, 21:46
You can get a Cambo/Calumet NX/NXII for somewhere around $150 on ebay these days. Nothing wrong with the SC (it's very similar to the NX/NXII) but everything will likely be years older. A Caltar II-N 210 (same as Sironar N 210) is a winner, and recent ones have gone for around $200 (same for the Caltar II-N 150mm).

Turner Reich
6-Oct-2008, 22:37
I used a Toyo G for landscape once at Point Lobos and the California coast. It's too heavy in the long run. Great in the studio but in the field you will not be taking it far from the car unless you are a body builder.

The 210 lens is a great first lens. The Toyo G is a very nice and precise camera that would be perfect for studio, portrait, still life.

Kirk Fry
6-Oct-2008, 23:32
You can save about $200 and get a Calumet CC400 for ~$100. Built like tanks and will do most everything except wide angles less than 90mm. I started with a 210mm and still use it the most. The old SIRONAR's of 1970's vintage have a bad habit of their lens adhesives separating. I would avoid an old one. (Hint, mine did.) K

Gary J. McCutcheon
8-Oct-2008, 07:27
I agree with Turner Reich with this addition, the Toyo G has all geared movements and is a higher end camera than the rest on your list. If you can live with the weight, it would be your best buy. If you plan on backpacking with it, you would want to plan carefully. Working close to a car would work. The nice thing about the Toyo G is that most, if not all current accessories will work on it, and there are lots of used pieces around. You can even move to digital backs, and the thing is a tank. If you pick up one in good shape, it can last almost forever, and parts are available. You can call Toyo (Mamiya) and they will send you parts that seem very resonably priced.

All the cameras on your list will do the job, but the geared movements for about the same money seems like a reasonable plus.

Ron Marshall
8-Oct-2008, 08:23
Weight is important for landscape, but if you find you like LF you can easily resell a camera, or buy an additional field camera.

I owned and sold a number of lenses before I settled on my current kit. It really is a personal choice and depends on what you like to shoot. I used to shoot with a good friend and between us we carried 9 lenses, all different focal lengths. But surprisingly we rarely borrowed lenses because we liked what we had.

My most used lenses are 90, 135, 200. They account for about 80% of my shots.

raucousimages
8-Oct-2008, 08:55
Start with a rail then add a field camera in the future. My basic setup is a Toyo 45GX in the studio and a 45AII in the field. An adaptor lets me use 110mm boards on the GX. The Toyo CX uses the smaller 110mm lens boards. This will allow you to use them on a Toyo field camera in the future or go with the 45GX with an adaptor for the small boards and mount your lenses in the small boards when you get a field camera.

One camera will do a fair job of studio or field but not a great job at both. The major trade off is movements VS weight. A two camera setup that will share lenses is ideal. If I had to go with only one with no chance of a second camera in the future I would choose a light rail camera.

As far as brands go I am a big fan of Toyo. I like their customer service, quality of products and interchangeableity of parts. Second would be Sinar. More refined than Toyo but more expensive and no field camera. Cambo and Calumet are good cameras but not ad rugged as a toyo G series. This may be an issue in the field where cameras take a beating.

The last camera to take a look at if you can find a used one you can afford is the Toyo125VX. It is sort of a hybrid between a rail and field camera but usualy expensive. It is a great camera if you demand good field and studio work from only one camera. I love to use mine when I can pry it away from my oldest son.

jeroldharter
11-Oct-2008, 20:09
Keep in mind that these are all monorail view cameras which are a bit cumbersome for filed photography. A strong back and motivation will work though.

The prices of used view cameras are so low that the temptation is high, I am sure.

I am not sure which model I have, but I have a nice used Cambo view camera that I would sell for less than the prices you quoted (plus shipping). Is that kosher to say? You can PM me if interested. It has a lens board modified by SK Grimes to accept smaller Toyo field lens boards as well.

sfjphotography
12-Oct-2008, 23:55
Thank you everyone for your help. I've decided on the Toyo G for the geared movements. I also like the heavier build. My current gear weighs in at 35lbs so leaving that behind: the camera, tripod, and everything else should come close to the same.

I've pretty much settled on a 150 F5.6 Rodenstock Sironar-N to start off with. KEH has one for $349 in ex condition. Is that a good price? Also beside's KEH, B&H,Adorama, & Ebay (which I just don't trust), where can I find reputable resellers of used equipment? Unfortunately i've had no luck finding anything local yet.

Greg Lockrey
13-Oct-2008, 00:01
, where can I find reputable resellers of used equipment? Unfortunately i've had no luck finding anything local yet.

Right here on this forum in the For Sale section you can get some really good deals. ;)

Gem Singer
13-Oct-2008, 04:44
Email message sent.

Please check your Emails.

Thanks.

sfjphotography
13-Oct-2008, 11:27
I checked the for sale section but there are no posts showing?
Or is it just me??

Greg Lockrey
13-Oct-2008, 18:09
I checked the for sale section but there are no posts showing?
Or is it just me??

Probably because you don't have your obligatory 30 days yet. They have these rules about newbies to prevent spamming. Be patient. :)

I like your website, btw. :)

sfjphotography
13-Oct-2008, 19:25
Probably because you don't have your obligatory 30 days yet. They have these rules about newbies to prevent spamming. Be patient. :)

Ah, that makes sense.

I like your website, btw. :)