PDA

View Full Version : Reflex viewer

Dario
5-Oct-2008, 03:27
Hi folks

I've been toying with getting into LF for some time, and recently I inherited a 4x5 Linhof Teknica, plus lenses, etc, so the impetus is there to get started.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I have two problems.

One is that being a monorail, the Linhof isn't especialy convenient for field work, which is my main interest.

The other is that I have great trouble focussing.

I've much admired a reflex viewer that a friend has on a Horseman. It seems to be the answer to all problems for those of us with less than perfect eyesight.

So what do I do? Do I buy another camera, a flat-bed with a viewer and on which I can use the Linhof's lenses? Or can I buy a viewer for the Linhof? Or what?

I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Ole Tjugen
5-Oct-2008, 03:58
The Linhof Technika is not a monorail - might it be a Linhof Color you have? They use Technika lens boards, but are monorails with a tubular rail and what is basically the front and rear of a Technica mounted on.

Among monorails, the Color is one of the best for field work. It weighs about the same as many field cameras, and can be set up or taken down in seconds - faster than just about any field camera.

The Color has an international back with Graflock tabs, so it can take just about any reflex viewer. I find it more difficult to focus with them than without, though...

Assuming you have (modern) Technika lens boards, those are the closest there is to a "standard lens board".

Dario
5-Oct-2008, 04:06
Thanks Ole for your comments. I'm not sure whether my camera has an 'international back' or not. There's a little hood over the focussing screen that has a metal cover and folds shut when not in use. This hood is held in place by little spring-loaded pins can be detached by lifting the hinged end slightly. I must check and see if my friend's viewer can be attached. - Dario

Ole Tjugen
5-Oct-2008, 04:23
There are two "sliding locks" beside the folding hood. The folding hood can also be flipped out of the way with another catch.

There's a picture of a Linhof Color here (https://www.leicashop.com/vintage/linhof-color-9x12cm-p-2863.html), a Technika looks more like the one in my avatar picture (although that is an old 13x18cm model).

Bob Salomon
5-Oct-2008, 04:38
The hood swings out from the GG. Once it is swung out, at the bottom - where it mounts to the camera- you will see a small lever. Push that aside and the Folding Focusing Hood comes off the camera. If you look closely where the hood was attached you will see that there is a small hole on either side of the GG where the hood was attached.

The Linhof Right Angle Hood also mounts on to the camera using the same two holes (unless you have the Technika III).

The Graflock slide locks have nothing to do with mounting a Linhof viewer hood or focusing bellows.

To use either the Right Angle Hood or the Focus/Meter Bellows your camera must have a fresnel screen.

ic-racer
5-Oct-2008, 14:21
Others may chime in here, but the right angle hoods may be best for composing without the dark-cloth, but if your real issue is focusing you may not be any better off if the right-angle hood does not have the correct diopteric correction for your eyesight.

Have you tried a focusing loupe. Horseman makes an 'extended' one that may work with your existing focusing hood in place.

Phil Hudson
6-Oct-2008, 05:04
I'd echo the comments about using a fresnel and preferably a bright screen with any right angle viewer. Without these the image is often too dim to be much good for composing, let alone focusing.

Due to the small mirror in the Linhof monocular reflex viewer it doesn't gather much light in the first place so don't expect it to compare to the bigger binocular reflex viewers in terms of brightness (these have a much bigger mirror closer to the GG).

Many other cameras (Arca-Swiss, Horseman and Toyo spring to mind) have built-in fresnel screens as standard. Not so Linhof but replacements are available.

Phil

Dario
7-Oct-2008, 03:16
Thank you all for the posts. Very informative.

You're correct, Ole. I have a Linhof Colour (although it says 'Technika' on the hood at the back).

I don't like putting my head under the dark cloth and I find focussing difficult (aging eyesight).

Does anyone know if a binocular viewer of some other manufacture would fit the Linhof?

Thanks - Dario

Bob Salomon
7-Oct-2008, 04:07
Thank you all for the posts. Very informative.

You're correct, Ole. I have a Linhof Colour (although it says 'Technika' on the hood at the back).

I don't like putting my head under the dark cloth and I find focussing difficult (aging eyesight).

Does anyone know if a binocular viewer of some other manufacture would fit the Linhof?

Thanks - Dario

Many years ago (30 or so) Linhof sold an adapter to accept the Sinar viewer. This has not been available since the early 80s and didn't work very well. The Linhof Reflex Hood is very effective and much simpler to use.

Peter K
7-Oct-2008, 04:11
As Bob mentioned before the Focus/Meter Bellows will fit to your camera. But there is nothing better as a dark cloth, specialy with presbyopic, aging eyesight, eyes. Togehter with a ca. 8x loupe. So you can look at the ground-glass like an image and find the focus with the loupe.