PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix Walnut 4x5

xmishx
4-Oct-2008, 14:00
I just got the sad news that the factory has run out of walnut 4x5 cameras. Hugo let me know of the news and said that there might be some maple cameras available for delivery instead. I really tried to convince myself that the maple camera would be OK for me, but I know in the back of my mind, I would always desire the darker walnut. So, I'm gonna have to wait until January for the delivery of my camera.

I guess the good news is, I should have my film processing locked down and ready by then as well as scanning the negs on my V700. I'll have to force myself and shoot with the Busch 4x5, which is a fine camera, but my heart was ready for the Chaminox...

<broken hearted...> Ted

Jan Pedersen
4-Oct-2008, 14:27
Ted, To bad, know you were waiting impatiently for your new Chamonix to arrive.
See you next week.

jan

jenn wilson
4-Oct-2008, 15:32
is it possible for you to request an unfinished maple version? you could simply stain and clearcoat the maple yourself to a darker color. then you'd have a camera with sturdy closed-pore wood with a dark finish. plus, when the finish breaks down a bit and you need to touch it up, you'd know exactly what is required with no guesswork. and you'd have the camera in your hands sooner than later. best of both worlds...:)

BarryS
4-Oct-2008, 17:47
It's worth the wait to get what you want. The maple looks great, but I've always loved walnut and the 45N-1 is beautiful in dark rich walnut. Three months will go by fast and when you first open the box, you'll be glad you waited.

D. Bryant
4-Oct-2008, 18:32
is it possible for you to request an unfinished maple version? you could simply stain and clearcoat the maple yourself to a darker color. then you'd have a camera with sturdy closed-pore wood with a dark finish. plus, when the finish breaks down a bit and you need to touch it up, you'd know exactly what is required with no guesswork. and you'd have the camera in your hands sooner than later. best of both worlds...:)
I would imagine that it would be very difficult to match the factory stain and finish on an assembled camera.

Just my 2 cents,

Don Bryant

Keith Pitman
4-Oct-2008, 19:29

Not a good idea. To get a good finish you would have to disassemble the camera to [re]finish it. A better idea to wait. A saving grace with the maple is that it is lighter, and still really nice looking.

xmishx
4-Oct-2008, 21:49
As much as I would love to have a Chamonix right now, I'm gonna have to grind it out and wait. This will be the camera for the long haul. I have to have the camera that I want, no compromises.

tim o'brien
4-Oct-2008, 23:15
Not a good idea. To get a good finish you would have to disassemble the camera to [re]finish it. A better idea to wait. A saving grace with the maple is that it is lighter, and still really nice looking.

Lighter? Lighter colored? Or weight.

It is lighter colored, but heavier in weight.

I would wait for the walnut.

tim in san jose

gevalia
5-Oct-2008, 03:48
I ordered the Walnut/black for the August shipment but received the Maple - by factory mistake. I accepted it but I really don't like the lighter color. That being said, it's a very nice camera (smartly designed), far lighter then I expected, and I won't give it up.