PDA

View Full Version : Details on B&J 4x5 Wood Field Camera

Jake Irving
4-Oct-2008, 13:45
Ugh!! don't want to repeat myself but was offered the suggestion of changing the title for more info. Sorry if this is not done here. I'm new.

I am replacing the bellows on a Burke and James 4 x 5 wood field camera and would like some kind of reference on what the film plane and lens board looks like on an original. It seems to be missing some parts, flanges, or intermediate framing material between the bellows and it the "back." I do not want to just glue the bellows to the inside of the cast iron ground glass area (you can see I am a novice here, not using the correct terminology) and the back of the lens board holder. There seems to be some kind of thin spring(?) holding something and a few screw holes without screws. I don't mind it not being accurate to the original. I just want a starting point. I also don't have any reference on how to hold the rail "up" when it is folded together during transport. Usually there are some clips or something but there appears to have missing holes etc....I can easily just make something up but haven't seen many similar cameras to base it on and don't want to make something completely different. You know, I don't want to reinvent the "wheel"

Any photos of a similar camera, some suggestions, or a link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Peter K
4-Oct-2008, 14:51
There is a site about restoring a 8x10" B&J camera here http://www.largeformatphotography.info/burke-james/restore8x10.html

Jake Irving
4-Oct-2008, 16:06
Thanks, but that link shows little about the framing or what the holes might be for. It basically deals with wood and its restoration.

Peter K
4-Oct-2008, 16:33
In your other thread I've told something about mounting the bellows.

Jake Irving
5-Oct-2008, 10:59
Also, the bellows that came with it is not tapered. It is straight. I wonder if that will interfere with the image on the groundglass. It is a plastic bellows that says 'horseman' on it, I guess from that camera manufacturer.

Peter K
5-Oct-2008, 11:13
The bellows has only to be tapered if the lens-standard is smaller as the image-standard.

Jake Irving
5-Oct-2008, 22:37
Thanks Peter. You've been very helpful. Much appreciated.