PDA

View Full Version : Took the plunge.....Ansco 8X10

jmooney
4-Oct-2008, 11:06
Well I've been going back and forth on getting into LF for a while now and I have scrapped the idea due to arthritis in my hands but I kept hearing the siren call so for better or worse here's the new woman in my life:

http://198.63.62.23/ebay/35/sept172.jpg

I threw in a low bid and I was the only bidder at $250. Anyone else shoot with one of these fine ladies and have any advice to offer?

Now off to collect the sundry accessories and grow an Ansel Adams style beard....

Jim

Gene McCluney
4-Oct-2008, 11:14
Sure, I've got a couple, they are fine cameras, if a bit clunky. Did you get the sliding tripod block, so you can center the camera over the tripod? The Ansco has more bellows extension than obvious in your photos, because the bottom rails telescope.

Glenn Thoreson
4-Oct-2008, 12:03
Good for you! On my Conley and Kodak cameras, though I have the sliding blocks, I never found a need to use them. I guess if you were using really long extension it may be a necessity but using a 240mm lens for general subjects, it's just too much added weight bulk for what I do. I hope you enjoy your new camera! :D

ic-racer
4-Oct-2008, 13:21
Great! You will have a lot of fun with that. Do you have a lens for it yet?

John Kasaian
4-Oct-2008, 13:26
Beautiful camera! Have fun! :) I've got the 5x7 version and they are very well made with lots of movements available.

jmooney
4-Oct-2008, 13:54
Thanks for all the kind words. I'm really excited about it. No lens for it yet. I'm still poking around and finding out what's out there. I'm probably going to look into a commercial Ektar to start.

John Kasaian
4-Oct-2008, 15:53
A 14" Commercial Ektar is a great first lens!

Diane Maher
5-Oct-2008, 11:48
I have one of these cameras and use a long lens extension with it. It attaches to the tripod leg and I use it to stabilize the rear bed of the camera.

Tony Lakin
5-Oct-2008, 12:54
Congratulations I hope it serves you as well as mine has, when I purchased mine I found that it required new bellows which cost me twice what you paid for your camera, I have the Cooke series VX triple convertible to go with it, and the beard, what I don't have unfortunately is AA's talent.
Here's a pic of my agfa/ansco

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15411&d=1217606387

Good luck:) :) :)

Brian Ellis
5-Oct-2008, 12:54
I owned the 5x7 version and it was a very good camera. In its day the Agfa Ansco was considered second only to Deardorff in quality of design and construction. The only thing I didn't like was the folding tail board, which made the camera much deeper than a clam shell type and awkward to get in and out of my backpack.

wfwhitaker
5-Oct-2008, 15:04
The Ansco's are good solid cameras and largely undervalued on today's market. I second the suggestion of a 14" Commercial Ektar. It's a wonderful lens. A very similar lens which is frequently available is the Caltar 14 3/4". Slightly longer focal length than the Ektar, but the image quality is virtually identical. Either lens will serve you well.

John Kasaian
5-Oct-2008, 20:18
A another highly regarded yet undervalued lens is the Wollensak 1a if you're considering a triple convertible.

goodfood
5-Oct-2008, 22:17
If you got it last week, you need to pay $3oo. It's a great camera, make a few lens board and buy some old lens. Make sure to make a metal bar, drill with holes to fit in the two 1/4 screw and drill serval holes in line and tap (suggest 3/8) to get the center point for balance. You need a big head (gear head), some film holder and take picture. I have the older model and really enjoy.

Paddy McKay
6-Oct-2008, 09:59
I found that it required new bellows which cost me twice what you paid for your camera

I've noted that you have the C-1 unit that has the option of taking an extra front rail, for maximum extension; likely for close-up requirements. This is the same as my current user. The other one, that I've got up for sale, is the most common type, without the optional front railboard. I've never seen the optional front rail for sale, and besides my ancient bellows probably wouldn't be able to stretch out that far anymore. I think if I was doing regular macro work on 8x10, I'd rather get extension tubes fabricated for the lensboards, to save weight and bulk.

jmooney
6-Oct-2008, 10:53
Thanks for all the great tips and info everyone. It must be my week because I just make a low ball Best Offer on a lens and the seller accepted. It's a Linhof selected Schneider Kreuznach Symmar 210/370mm convertible lens in a Prontor shutter. I figure it's a good place to start as it'll give me two focal lengths to try and from what I read the 370 configuration is great for portraits when opened up. Not bad for $200.00.

Take care,

Jim

Tony Lakin
6-Oct-2008, 10:59
I've noted that you have the C-1 unit that has the option of taking an extra front rail, for maximum extension; likely for close-up requirements. This is the same as my current user. The other one, that I've got up for sale, is the most common type, without the optional front railboard. I've never seen the optional front rail for sale, and besides my ancient bellows probably wouldn't be able to stretch out that far anymore. I think if I was doing regular macro work on 8x10, I'd rather get extension tubes fabricated for the lensboards, to save weight and bulk.

Hi Paddy
I guess I was lucky in that the extension rail was included with my camera and the reason why I had to pay so much for the replacement bellows was the length.

terry.cx
9-Oct-2008, 11:47
Jim,
I've had one of these for about 10 years. It's a great camera and you'll have fun with it.

Terry

jmooney
9-Oct-2008, 15:38
Well it came and it's in great shape. I did the extension rail for the front and I see how it goes on (I think) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to lock it on. Does it stay on by faith and good wishes alone or is there another method?

frank hoerauf
9-Oct-2008, 16:06
You will love the schneider lens , i have the same lens, it must be 50 yrs old and it is tack sharp.