PDA

View Full Version : Abroad travels.. Storing exposed film in Holders?

englishbadger
3-Oct-2008, 11:00
How should i store 5x4 sheet film if exposed?

Hello all,

Ok, i have a new dilemma and situation. Im travelling across the water to the south of france where i will documenting the landscape and other subjects..

Anyhow, im wondering whats the best way to store exposed sheets of film.
Should they remain in the filmholder until i get back from my travels? Or can i unload them in a changing bag, into a box of exposed film? Im guessing dust and things could be a problem.

I only have 6 film holders

Whats the normal thing to do..?

hope someone can help

carl

eric black
3-Oct-2008, 11:22
I try not to have the film in the holder, but back in the box prior to going through the airport so that if a holder need to be opened for inspection etc..., there is no risk of exposure (I have never even been questioned about holders- just being safe or paranoid). If a hand check is refused (several foreign countries experience- especially Argentina) I send the film through the scanner on edge and fortunately have never had any fogging or similar problems with the carry-on scanning systems.

Ron Marshall
3-Oct-2008, 11:31
For travel I use Readyloads, or I bring a changing tent.

IanMazursky
3-Oct-2008, 11:39
I take a changing bag or tent with me and unload the holders when im done shooting.
I put them into a separate film box for exposed film only.
That way there is no confusion whats in the box and whats in the holders.

I dont like leaving them in the holders when i travel. They tend to bounce around more and a dark slide could come loose and ruin the film.