PDA

View Full Version : Uniroller processing of 4x5 negatives

Francesco Gallarotti
3-Oct-2008, 05:21
1) If you use the Uniroller with a print drum to develop four 4x5 negatives at a time, can you share with me what trick did you use to keep the negatives from sliding on each others? I did read the article on the main LF site (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/) but have a hard time finding the hangers she talks about.

2) Also, in that article, she explains that she pours as little chemicals as it fits in the space between the two flanges at the bottom, in order to not get the films wet. Is that quantity really enough to process four 4x5 negatives? I was holding the drum in my hand and it doesn't looks like I could fit much liquid in that space.
Plus, while pouring it in I am pretty sure some of the chemical will splash around and get the films a little wet. But in a matter of a few secs the drum will be moving soon so I am not sure whether I should even bother about all this.

3) The other thing I don't understand is how much is the correct quantity of developer to use for four 4x5 negatives. I have a package of Kodak D-76 in powder here on my desk right now and I don't see this piece of information anywhere on the envelope. This developer is pretty cheap and I don't mind using more than necessary, but I do mind pouring down the drain chemicals that have not been used completely.

Thanks in advance,

Francesco

venchka
3-Oct-2008, 05:47
The official word from Kodak was: 8 oz. of D-76 stock solution per 80 sq. in. of film. Lately I noticed they changed the wording. Find the Kodak D-76 data sheet on the internet.

Many users report using less D-76 with good results. I stick to the Kodak advice and like the results. I have used D-76 1:1 and have no trouble with 4 sheets in a Jobo 3010 Expert drum. Right now I'm using Xtol 1:3. Kodak says that 100ml of Xtol will process 4 sheets of 4x5 film.

Jim Noel
3-Oct-2008, 10:20
1) If you use the Uniroller with a print drum to develop four 4x5 negatives at a time, can you share with me what trick did you use to keep the negatives from sliding on each others? I did read the article on the main LF site (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/) but have a hard time finding the hangers she talks about.

2) Also, in that article, she explains that she pours as little chemicals as it fits in the space between the two flanges at the bottom, in order to not get the films wet. Is that quantity really enough to process four 4x5 negatives? I was holding the drum in my hand and it doesn't looks like I could fit much liquid in that space.
Plus, while pouring it in I am pretty sure some of the chemical will splash around and get the films a little wet. But in a matter of a few secs the drum will be moving soon so I am not sure whether I should even bother about all this.

3) The other thing I don't understand is how much is the correct quantity of developer to use for four 4x5 negatives. I have a package of Kodak D-76 in powder here on my desk right now and I don't see this piece of information anywhere on the envelope. This developer is pretty cheap and I don't mind using more than necessary, but I do mind pouring down the drain chemicals that have not been used completely.

Thanks in advance,

Francesco

To keep the films separated Unicolor made a little device to slip ove the V groove.One can be made from a small plastic eraser by simply sawing, not slicing,a V shaped groove at the same angle as the V in the drum. Load two sheets of film, slide the divider down the V and load two more sheets. They work like a charm.

I have always used 2 ounces of D-76 1:1 for each sheet of film in the drum.

Glenn Thoreson
3-Oct-2008, 11:07
There are lots of methods for makng spacers on the web. Jim's eraser idea sounds great and I'm going to try that. Just make sure your spacers don't contain any metal other than stainless steel. I use 300 ml of D-76 1:1 with perfect results.

Francesco Gallarotti
3-Oct-2008, 16:32
Perfect! Thank you all for the precious information.

Michael Heald
3-Oct-2008, 21:07
Hello! I use 135cc of solution - currently TMax RS 1:7 - to develop four 4x5 in an 8x10 Unicolor print drum.
I found a drum with rubber separator, so I've never tried any other spacer. I like the eraser idea! Best regards.

Mike

Francesco Gallarotti
3-Oct-2008, 21:11
I am gonna add one question to this thread since we have a group of people here all using uniroller and the print drum. Which reels can be used inside this drum (if any) of 120/135? Is it better to use the metal or the plastic one (if there is a choice)?