PDA

View Full Version : ULF Colour film

Craig Griffiths
2-Oct-2008, 19:49
With the recent threads relating to night vision goggles and cutting film, it has prompted me to consider the practicalities of cutting film for use in my 8x20.

I remember seeing earlier this year either posted here or maybe on APUG the availability of colour negative film in 12x20. I guess I have 2 questions. Firstly, am I delusional regarding 12x20 colour neg film even by special order. Secondly, provided I have the right trimmer etc, how difficult is it to cut film from a practical perspective. Are there any traps I should be aware of.

Many thanks

Oren Grad
2-Oct-2008, 20:14
There have been very occasional special orders for 12x20 color neg, including one earlier this year:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=36173

Check the per-sheet price from that order and you'll understand why it doesn't happen very often. But it can be done.

Michael Kadillak
3-Oct-2008, 15:18
A less expensive alternative would be to carefully shoot two 8x10 color negatives from a level perspective and digitally stitch them together. I know an 8x20 color photographer that did this quite effectively. At the price of this sheet film you could afford quite a scanning charge and still be miles ahead.

Craig Griffiths
4-Oct-2008, 01:34
The other alternative I have been thinking is to get a 4x10 reducing back for my 8x10, or to cut a darkslide to size and then just use 8x10 film.

Thanks for the responses 4x10 may be the best option for me after all.