PDA

View Full Version : Hoodman loupe?

Hollis
2-Oct-2008, 11:14
Has anyone ever used one of these for LF? Looks like it would work well, especially in the corners of the GG

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-LPP3

xmishx
2-Oct-2008, 11:33
It would seem that "Minimal Magnification" might be an issue for those wanting to view on a ground glass as opposed to an lcd screen. It just might not be enough for critical focusing...

z_photo
2-Oct-2008, 12:12
from description on their site:

"Each Hoodloupetm is encased in a user friendly rubber for comfort and protection"

one would surmise they are for prophylactic use. i wonder if it has ridges to enhance the shooter experience as well?

Bill_1856
2-Oct-2008, 14:22
I bought one nearly two years ago. It was advertised as covering a 3" LCD screen, but actually only covers about 2.2". I asked for my money back, but they keep promising to send me a new loupe which does cover 3".
In practice I'd hoped to use it on my 2.25x3.25 Crown Graphic as well as the digitals, but it's simply too small to be useful, and the magnification isn't any better than a strong pair of reading glasses.

Hollis
4-Oct-2008, 12:41
Alright, good info. Thanks guys. So, any recommendations on a loupe then?

sun of sand
4-Oct-2008, 17:41
I know you're looking for top-notch professional stuff so my post will be worthless to you but I use either an element from a camera or an "epoxied" -with siliconized acrylic caulk- series of diopters. Riverse the epoxied "lens" and get two different -but not too different- magnifications. Only sharp in the center but I don't see how this is really a negative.
Tape or cement the small lens element to a pair of reading glasses like a surgical loupe
I have a linen tester around here that I keep meaning to try once I find it