PDA

View Full Version : Pull 'the rope' to stop a thread from continuing?

Patrik Roseen
2-Oct-2008, 04:42
Hello,
Is there a way for the large amount of people on this forum to stop the continuation of a thread, where e.g. two or three people just kicks there heads off in public? There must be lots of people like me who read the thread and see how the same people are drawn into a discussion that can only lead to all of them looking bad.

Today some people try to stop this by telling the parties to do either this or that. But it seldoms work.

What if everyone had a 'rope to pull' for a thread and once there are more than say 50 ropes pulled the thread can nolonger continue.

Any thoughts? or alternatives?

Juergen Sattler
2-Oct-2008, 05:23
That is really the responsibility of the moderators. Folks here can always contact a moderator and express their concern, but it must be up to the moderators to close a thread.

David A. Goldfarb
2-Oct-2008, 05:52
Just click on the red triangle with the exclamation point on the left side of a post you think is inappropriate, and you can report the post to the moderators, and they should look into it.

Brian Ellis
2-Oct-2008, 07:24
Just because you find a thread bothersome doesn't mean everyone does. I just stop reading when a thread no longer interests me.

Ralph Barker
2-Oct-2008, 08:36
In general, we tend to let people ramble a bit, as long as they aren't violating the forum guidelines.

If you see something that appears to be a rules violation, however, feel free to use the "bang" icon next to the post to report it.

Ron Marshall
2-Oct-2008, 09:59
What Brian said.

Kirk Gittings
2-Oct-2008, 10:08
In general, we tend to let people ramble a bit, as long as they aren't violating the forum guidelines.

If you see something that appears to be a rules violation, however, feel free to use the "bang" icon next to the post to report it.

In addition to this we really do pay attention to these "official" complaints. Though we do not always agree and act on them, I would say that it is very rare that we act in the absense of an official complaint (on my part at least).

Patrik Roseen
2-Oct-2008, 14:30
Thanks for directing me to the red triangle ...my ignorance, sorry.

Steve Barber
11-Oct-2008, 16:57
Earlier, I asked if there could be a way to "ignore" a thread. While this is not exactly the situation I had in mind, it seems that being able to ignore a thread would solve this OP's concerns as well as mine. It would be an option that would not deny others, who are still interested, from continuing to follow the thread nor would it give reason for any ill will or arguments about rules violations and it would not require ignoring posters who, generally, are valued sources of information and/or entertainment.

walter23
13-Oct-2008, 00:39
I have an alternative: ignore discussions you don't like instead of worrying about policing them.

Any thoughts? or alternatives?