PDA

View Full Version : selling images II

ignatiusjk
1-Oct-2008, 18:05
What kind of prices can you expect for your images? I know it will vary but as a general idea what do you get for a good 4x5 image?

QT Luong
1-Oct-2008, 18:30
In general, you do not "sell" an image.

You either sell a physical print, or license reproduction rights of the image, in general together with a digital file.

In both cases prices vary commonly by 3 orders of magnitude depending on specifics, so you'd have to say what you mean by "sale" in order to get useful replies.

ignatiusjk
2-Oct-2008, 08:41
How much can I make for an image whatever way I send it. i just curious as to what you can make from an image. Have you sold any images and if how much did you get and how did you send it?

claudiocambon
2-Oct-2008, 09:01
Again, as Quan said, payments for your images are relative to the usage. The same image licensed for a textbook can sell for 30 dollars, for a magazine 400 dollars, for a book cover 2,000 dollars, for an ad campaign with exclusivity 10-15,000 dollars, perhaps more. It depends for what purpose the image will be used, and how widely it will be disseminated both in terms of space and time.

Images can sell automatically through a stock agency you may be signed up with, or through custom arrangements. In any case, delivery is usually electronic, either through a site transfer, ftp, email, or even mailing discs.

Image licensing was hot, hot, hot for about 20 years, evolving from a neat sideline that just a few photographers knew to exploit more fully, to something that many people jumped into with the advent of the digital age, to the current waning of profits due to over-saturation. The important thing is, though, that it may look like free money, but it's really not. It takes a lot of work and commitment.

If you are more specific about what you want to do, and why, you'll get more specific, and, I think, helpful answers from forum members. Good luck!

QT Luong
2-Oct-2008, 09:05
If you mean stock, anywhere from $0.2 (microstock) to millions (Jolie-Pitt twins). Now this was useful, wasn't it ? Most of my own transactions are in the $150-$1500 range. Google "stock photography" and check the agencies pricing.

Frank Petronio
2-Oct-2008, 11:43
I'm sure you'll make millions!

Kirk Gittings
2-Oct-2008, 12:01
If you mean stock, anywhere from $0.2 (microstock) to millions (Jolie-Pitt twins). Now this was useful, wasn't it ? Most of my own transactions are in the $150-$1500 range. Google "stock photography" and check the agencies pricing.

Most of my stock is in that range too.......and overwhelmingly towards the lower end of that scale.

GPS
2-Oct-2008, 12:15
I'm sure you'll make millions!

So am I - it's so ridiculously easy to live from a few pictures sold for horrendous money, over and over again...

claudiocambon
2-Oct-2008, 15:55
So am I - it's so ridiculously easy to live from a few pictures sold for horrendous money, over and over again...

Story of my life....:D

Jim Ewins
2-Oct-2008, 18:52
Ray Pfortner pfortner@centurytel.net gives workshops on this subject.

GPS
3-Oct-2008, 02:31
Story of my life....:D

Yours too??:D

Steve M Hostetter
4-Oct-2008, 15:23
I sold 3-35mm images to a church for one time printing rights ... I noticed while I attended the church that they used images on their sunday programs which was like an open door for me to enter... I guess thats one way that works

Steve M Hostetter
4-Oct-2008, 15:23
PS those images were sold for $120.00