PDA

View Full Version : Century No. 2 Studio Camera Plate Holder Help

dbart
1-Oct-2008, 15:52
I just bought the top half (no baseplate or stand) of a Century No. 2 camera mainly because it was incredibly cheap at an antique store. What I have is in incredible shape with light tight bellows. I've been shooting 8x10 film for a while and have been looking to get into playing around with plates instead of film, and as of right now am intending to just knock out a new baseplate for this in my workshop and go from there. However, the ground glass on this camera measures 10x10". Is this a standard size for older holders or just a way to get around using a rotating back for 8x10? Also, where if anywhere could these holders still be located. I'm thinking this might be a fun winter project, but am holding off until I have the proper holders for this. Any and all information is welcome. Thanks-

C. D. Keth
1-Oct-2008, 23:16
The easiest place I know of is just to surf ebay. They come up fairly often. The square groundglass is exactly what you've guessed. There are usually lines on the glass that give you the frame in either orientation.