PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time Processing w/ 2551 and reels

xmishx
1-Oct-2008, 13:55
OK, seems like I have everything to process my 1st batch of 4x5 film. I'm using the Jobo 2551 tank with dual reels with a unicolor motorbase. I have a few basic questions...

• How much chemicals go in the tank to process the film?

• How is the time adjusted from normal development to using the tank/motorbase system. I've heard time is substantially reduced... I'll be developing Ilford HP5 in Kodak HC-110. Stop and fixer is all Ilford

Any other opinions, suggestions, etc... to a first time 4x5 developer appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted

Erik Larsen
1-Oct-2008, 14:32
Hi Ted,
The amount of chemicals will be determined by the developer used and the capacity of the tank. I'm not sure what HC 110's capacity is, it might be on the bottle. You need to find out how many square inches per liter that whatever dilution you are using requires and this will tell you how much developer you need to use. If you use a really dilute developer solution you might not be able to fill the reels with 12 sheets because the tank won't hold enough of the required amount of chemistry. Just figure out the capacity of the tank (600ml I think) and do the math to figure out how many sheets you can fit in.
You'll have to test for proper time on the motor base, it should be a little less time than tray development but you should do the testing so it isn't just a guess each time
you use it.
The other steps you should carry out just with times you used before however you did it, it's not as critical as the development time.
I'm sure there is someone here who probably uses just the combo you are using and might chime in with some starting times for development.
Have fun with it,
erik

venchka
3-Oct-2008, 05:53
The tank will hold 600ml. I measured mine last weekend. The real problem with the 2551 tank and Uniroller base is this: The tank is too short to span both rollers. You will need to invent a way to extend the tank to fit across both rollers. I taped my 2551 tank to a Jobo Print drum. It looks strange but it works.

I don't understand "2551 tank with dual reels"? If those are the reels for 35mm & 120/220 film you will need the 2509 reel for sheet film.

I switched from D-76 1:1 to Xtol 1:3 with Ilford HP5+ because of the amount of D-76 required and the capacity of the tank.

Michael Graves
3-Oct-2008, 06:22
I develop HP5 in HC-100 diluted 1:49. 10 ml of syrup go are used to make a total of 500ml of solution. At 70 degrees, I've been getting the best results with 12 minutes in a Jobo. If you're using intermittent agitation, you might want to add a couple minutes. Either way, it's best if you run the film speed and developing time tests outlined in a book such as The Negative or The Zone System Manual.

xmishx
3-Oct-2008, 20:59
Hey Venchka,

The 2551 tank holds 2 reels that can hold 6 4x5 sheets each, so 12 total. There is no problem being able to use the Unicolor motorbase. I'll be trying this all out over the weekend, so we'll see how it goes...

Ted

The tank will hold 600ml. I measured mine last weekend. The real problem with the 2551 tank and Uniroller base is this: The tank is too short to span both rollers. You will need to invent a way to extend the tank to fit across both rollers. I taped my 2551 tank to a Jobo Print drum. It looks strange but it works.

I don't understand "2551 tank with dual reels"? If those are the reels for 35mm & 120/220 film you will need the 2509 reel for sheet film.

I switched from D-76 1:1 to Xtol 1:3 with Ilford HP5+ because of the amount of D-76 required and the capacity of the tank.

Francesco Gallarotti
3-Oct-2008, 21:07
From other posts I understood that you are not supposed to load 6 per reel. Even thought it can fit physically 6, the space in between would be too tight to allow a good development. Most people load only 4 on each reel. /this also means 1/3rd less developer in the tank, of course

jwaddison
3-Oct-2008, 23:51
Somewhere (probably here, on another thread) I read that Kodak says each 80 square inches of sheet requires 6 ml of concentrate of HC-110 (so 1.5 ml for each sheet of 4x5). I reduce the development time in my jobo 2551 on a cibachrome motor base by 25 per cent from that recommended for intermittent agitation, and think I'm getting close - this is for foma 200 film however (dilution H).

I also have a couple of questions: the first is, how important is the rotation speed? I think Jobo recommends 75 rpm in their Jobo-lift, while the cibachrome reel only does about 42 rpm. Second, does it make any difference which way the loaded film holders are inserted into the drum? It seems to me in one direction the film will be "scooping" the developer, and the other direction "dragging" it.

Nick_3536
4-Oct-2008, 00:17
The tank will hold 600ml. I measured mine last weekend. The real problem with the 2551 tank and Uniroller base is this: The tank is too short to span both rollers.

That's strange. Mine 2551 fits both my Unirollers perfectly. It's the shorter tank that doesn't. From the other comments I wonder do you really have a 2551? The 2551 needs at least 600ml when used with 2509N reels rolling. Inversion the tank holds well over 1 litre. The 2551 tank is the 5 35mm reel tank or it will take two 2509N reels.

http://www.helixcamera.com/Darkroom/DarkroomProcessing/jobo/jobotank.html

Scroll down. The Jobo min capacity chart is on that page. The 560ml number is very tight and will need a perfectly level tank etc. Better to use a little more. Of course the comment to check your developer capacity is spot on.

If you really have a 2521 which I guess you do then look for the 2560 extension or the one for the 2800 print drums. That would convert your 2521 into a 2581 drum.

Nick_3536
4-Oct-2008, 00:19
From other posts I understood that you are not supposed to load 6 per reel.

Thats for the older 2509 reels. The newer 2509N reels are supposed to fix this issue. YMMV

xmishx
4-Oct-2008, 15:43
Is there a way of telling the difference between the N and non N?

I went ahead and processed my first sheets and from what I can tell, it is looking good. It has been years since I've had to judge negs, so I'll have to wait until they dry and put them on a light box. But, I'm pretty excited at what I saw!!!

Ted

Thats for the older 2509 reels. The newer 2509N reels are supposed to fix this issue. YMMV

venchka
4-Oct-2008, 16:15
Thanks for the clarification on the 2551 tank. It sounds like I need one. I would really like a tank that holds 2 reels expanded for 120 film. My unmarked tank holds one 2509 reel. Sorry if I misinformed anyone.

OK, anybody have a spare Jobo 2551 tank laying around they want to part with cheap?

Nick_3536
4-Oct-2008, 21:57
Is there a way of telling the difference between the N and non N?

The N reels come with two sets of inserts. One sized for 4x5 and one for 9x12.

wclavey
7-Oct-2008, 07:55
Thanks for the clarification on the 2551 tank. It sounds like I need one. I would really like a tank that holds 2 reels expanded for 120 film. My unmarked tank holds one 2509 reel. Sorry if I misinformed anyone.

Wayne, my small tank, which I think is the same as yours, has the label on it and it is #2523 and the label says that it uses 560 ml to process with rotation (...it actually holds about 1700 ml).

Like you, I, too, would like to find a 2551 and another reel - - I'll keep my eyes open at Camera Co-op...

venchka
15-Oct-2008, 05:44
Thanks to the education provided in this thread, I received a 2553 (a twin to the 2551) tank and 3 roll film reels yesterday. I like this tank! It's long enough to ride on both of my motor roller bases: Uniroller and Beseler. It holds a bunch of reels including 1 @35mm, 1 @120 and 1 2509 reel for 4x5. All at the same time! I'll be on the lookout for another 2509 reel.

This forum is most helpful! Thanks!

Nick_3536
15-Oct-2008, 08:19
The biggest you can easily use is the 2581. The biggest tank won't balance itself but the 2581 is fine. Nice if you need to run 10 rolls of 120 -)