PDA

View Full Version : Plate Camera; Now what

redrockcoulee
30-Sep-2008, 18:07
In spite of myself wishing to decease the number of cameras we have I bought the whole plate Seneca Improved last week. I do like the squarer format and larger size compared to 5X7. Our plans are two fold with this camera

1) contact prints using either enlarger or NuArc exposure table hoping to have sharp full tone prints

2) contact prints from shots with less than sharp lenses. Let us say that the images of Jim Galli and Mark Sawyer's students have influenced us, especially my wife

Currently have I think a 14 inch barrel Bosh and Lombe and an approximately 120 mm brass lens that may cover the entire image.

So other than plate film holders which we will need to get and of course film what else should we be thinking of getting. Was thinking of making a lensboard adapter for the Technika lensboards but for the most part will be getting "new" lenses and seeing as already have two barrel lenses and will be making some home made ones would a Packard shutter be the way to go. I need to find out how they work even but would one be able to set it up so it stays on the camera all the time regardless of which lens one uses. Would it work with electronic flash? What are the downsides of using one? Also recommendations for sharp and less than expensive lenses for it. We would most likely want a wide angle a normal and depending on how the BL lens works out a long lens. Are there better choices than G-Clarions in barrels.

It is going to take us some time to even get it up and running as a system so no rush and will watch the sale forum for sure. This winter is still on for projects with the 5X7 which may be sold this coming spring to keep the numbers down. (self imposed).

Suggestions and advise are welcomed

Hollis
30-Sep-2008, 22:07
Just a brief answer but as for lens boards, i just use Masonite that I get at Home Depot (Rona). For sharp and inexpensive lenses, look for any of the process lenses that come up all the time. They will more than likely be without shutter so you could pay (a lot) to get one mounted or use a packard shuttter (there is another post in this section about it). Also, on film, it is very, very hard to find.

There is a Whole Plate website/google user group out there. I can't remember the address but good folks and very helpful.

Hollis

C. D. Keth
30-Sep-2008, 23:34
Packard No 6 shutter will work with electronic flash. They have the old style bi-post connector.

Kirk Keyes
1-Oct-2008, 13:15
Now what? Learn how to make dry plates - http://www.thelightfarm.com/

redrockcoulee
1-Oct-2008, 13:31
Now what? Learn how to make dry plates - http://www.thelightfarm.com/

NO it must end somewhere:) Thanks for the link

Actually some of the processes we will be using it for include photogravre and photo etching (which wife already knows) and we also have a fairly large printing press. She has mentioned making emulsions already.

David Karp
1-Oct-2008, 14:18
It is pretty easy to make a Seneca to Technika lensboard adapter. I did it for the same camera you have: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26278&highlight=seneca+technika+adapter

I tried using Masonite from a clipboard to make some lensboards, but it was too thick. I had better luck with model maker's plywood that I purchased from the local hobby shop.

If I recall, the Seneca you bought had the rear extension rail. Mine does not have one, so I made an extension lensboard that added a few inches extension. That was pretty easy also.

Oh yeah, if you are using film, make sure that you purchase WP film holders, or plate holders with accessory film septums. Some of the sellers out there will call plate holders film holders, even if they don't have the septums. Make sure to question them. I ended up with some plate holders and no septums that way.

Fotoman is allegedly going to have some modern style WP holders available. They have been a long time coming.