PDA

View Full Version : Who has the finer film grain ?

Bruce Barelly
12-May-2001, 19:14
Anyone has infos about the technology involved in lates films ? Would Provia 100 F, Velvia 50 or E 100 S finer than EPR 64 ?

james norman
12-May-2001, 20:24
frankly, bruce, with the films you mention, the issue is really not grain structure, it is color saturation and depth. each of those films are very fine films, and it really depends on which film appeals more to you personally in terms of hues and color balance. it also has something to do with what type of work you do - each seems to have its strength in a different area.

archivue
19-Oct-2006, 20:10
finest grain... Astia 100F !

David Luttmann
20-Oct-2006, 05:41
finest grain... Astia 100F !

Both Astia F and Provia F have the same grain RMS of 7. The old Velvia 50 has an RMS of 8. As to sharpness, the New Velvia 100 has the same new low grain RMS of 7, while maintaining a slight edge in sharpness over Astia and Provia. The apparent higher sharpness of Velvia really has to do more with it's boosted contrast than anything else. Pumping up the contrast in Astia F will seem to increase accutance to the point of nearly or entirely equalling Velvia.

The Kodak films are behind in both sharpness and grain.

Gordon Moat
20-Oct-2006, 11:18
Kodak E100S and E100SW were discontinued and replaced by E100G and E100GX. While neither of those is as saturated as the previous films, both are finer grain. E100VS is still around, still very good for reds and yellows, and still very saturated; despite the relatively higher grain than other films mentioned, it should still be a good source film for very saturated colour large prints.

I use a great deal of Fuji Astia 100F for my urban imaging, or for people shots. In Kodak films, the new E100G is somewhat close, though more saturated green tones. The colour response of that seems to be between Astia 100F and the new Provia.

I have tried both Fuji Velvia 100 and 100F, and don't particularly like either that much. I should point out that I don't do landscapes, mostly didn't like the night imaging results in urban environments, though the blue and green tones saturation might be very appealing to landscape photographers.

Push nearly any of these films one stop, and the contrast and apparant sharpness will seem to increase. Ektachrome 64 is still not a bad choice, though I have largely replaced it with Fuji Astia 100F. Your results and needs might be different.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Ken Lee
20-Oct-2006, 13:47
How do these compare with B&W films ?

I know that Color film really has "dye clouds" - but are these color films "finer" than, say TMAX 100 ?

David Luttmann
20-Oct-2006, 15:01
How do these compare with B&W films ?

I know that Color film really has "dye clouds" - but are these color films "finer" than, say TMAX 100 ?

Apparent grain will be less with the color films, but so does sharpness and detail.