PDA

View Full Version : B+W Kasemann

more photography
30-Sep-2008, 12:22
Any experience with B+W Kasemann and how many stops do you lose is it 1 2/3

thanks

Bob Salomon
30-Sep-2008, 12:45
The same amount of light as with the Heliopan Kaesmann filter or with any other standard polarizer. However the Heliopan SH-PMC polarizer will give less flare and more color saturation then the Kaesmann type. The filter factor is 2.5x.

Unless you are going on prolonged stays in a tropical jungle you do not need a Kaqesmann type.

eric black
30-Sep-2008, 13:30
OK, Im curious, why would a Kaesmann filter be the one of choice for prolonged jungle use?...and what about them makes them prone to flare issues?

Daniel_Buck
30-Sep-2008, 14:15
if I'm not mistaken, kaesemann only refers to the better seal on the edge, so humidity and dirt don't affect them as much. I could be wrong about them having identical glass/coatings though.

Bob Salomon
30-Sep-2008, 15:11
Kaesemann polarizers are edge sealed in the glass so they are immune to humidity or fungus attacking the polarizing foil. The SH-PMC polarizers are multi coated and the top layer on the front and the back repel dust and moisture. This is a more effective coating then on the Kaesmann so there is lower flare and greater color saturation as well as a cleaner filter glass.

eric black
30-Sep-2008, 15:40
gracias- I have a few of these filters and have liked the results but will readily admit that I didnt know much about what made them different- I do however do some shooting on jungle/tropical locations though so I guess I did something right (unknowingly).

Eugene van der Merwe
30-Sep-2008, 23:59
The BW Kaeseman is the best polarizer i've used, can't say how it compares to Heliopan though, since i haven't used one. I've had no problems whatsoever with flare and the saturation is very good. I compensate by 1 2/3 to 2 stops depending on the subject.

Peter K
1-Oct-2008, 00:30
Some days ago there was a thread about polarizers, (there is a search-function in this forum) http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=40830 with the conclusion: every polarizer works well if it's clean and flat. Except the stability-problem in tropical conditions mentioned by Bob.

David A. Goldfarb
1-Oct-2008, 06:27
Another high-end polarizer option is the Schneider True-Pol, which is popular among cinematographers. Anyone have a chance to compare all three?