PDA

View Full Version : Different Packard Shutter Mounting Method

goamules
29-Sep-2008, 15:56
I got this at a camera show this weekend. It fits my Kodak 2D perfectly, and now all my barrel lenses have a shutter!

There are many ways to use one of these shutters, but this just seemed the most versatile I’d seen. There is a lensboard mounted on the back of the box, then the shutter, then an opening for the same sized lensboard. In use, you put the shutter in place of your lensboard, then put the lens on the front of the rig. There is more room, you can fit a lens with a longer rear element. You can take the shutter off, if you want to use the camera with just a lenscap. You can move the shutter/box to another camera. Pretty cool, eh?

http://www.collodion.com/forum/uploads/688/PACKBOX3.JPG

BarryS
29-Sep-2008, 16:03
Good find! I have one for my Deardorff and other than the bulk--it's a great solution for using barrel lenses. If you can get hold of a universal iris mount for lenses, it's the perfect setup.

MenacingTourist
30-Sep-2008, 20:21
And here I thought I was so original. I "designed" almost the exact same thing for my 2D. It was fun to build and I made sure I had lots of lensboards. Two years later I wish I made more lensboards.

Alan.

Scott Davis
1-Oct-2008, 11:24
Nifty box. The only downside is when trying to use short/wide lenses. I've got one that I made a front-mount for my big Bausch & Lomb 11x14 Tessar 1C, but the idea could be used on just about any size lens. You have to make a little "shutterboard" for each lens, with the appropriate size slip-over hole, which the "shutterboard" slides into a groove on the back of the panel to which the Packard is attached.