PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your bellows?

davidp
28-Sep-2008, 15:56
I was just wondering what is the best way to store bellows? Is there anyway to keep them long-lasting and to prevent sag?

I just have mine off camera on a flat surface... Will this make the bellows sag or should I keep them compressed or something?

Thanks! Oh BTW I have standard Sinar bellows on my Sinar F2 if that helps?

Skorzen
28-Sep-2008, 15:59
I'm no expert, but I would think that compressed would put the least strain on them, preferably compressed vertically. That's just what seems logical to me, I am curious to hear what others think.

davidp
28-Sep-2008, 16:26
How do you keep the compressed? in a box or something?

C. D. Keth
28-Sep-2008, 18:28
I keep them on the camera with the camera folded up. I see no reason to do different.

Don Hutton
28-Sep-2008, 18:28
I "store" mine either on a camera compressed (first choice) or vertically on a shelf if they are off the camera - i.e. lying on the rear standard assembly facing upwards - usually in a ziplock with a packet of dessicant to ensure that nothing starts growing.

Caroline Matthews
28-Sep-2008, 19:16
I highly recommend that you keep your bellow upside down. Otherwise, problems will develop.

Alan Davenport
28-Sep-2008, 22:35
On my Calumet monorail, I keep the bellows on the camera, partially compressed. The camera resides upside down in its case.

On the Tachihara, the bellows aren't removable, so they live folded up inside the camera.

robert fallis
29-Sep-2008, 00:06
compressed in the camera , with the camera upside down, they stiil sag a little 'cos there home made and heavy

bob

davidp
29-Sep-2008, 02:06
Compressed as much as they can? (without going too crazy tight) or should I leave them a little bit uncompressed so their not compressed so tightly?

Thanks!

BennehBoy
29-Sep-2008, 07:22
The standard 4x5 Sinar bellow isn't that prone to sag from what I can see, I wouldn't worry too much about it - just sit them with the opening facing up within something airtight. FWIW I keep an 8x10 Sinar conversion kit with bellow compressed (just its natural lie) upright in a sealed case, there doesn't appear to be any sag issues - but I may rotate it by 90 degrees after each use just to be sure...

saulica
29-Sep-2008, 07:30
compressed in the camera , with the camera upside down, they stiil sag a little 'cos there home made and heavy

bob

that's right, me too...

BrianShaw
29-Sep-2008, 08:04
On my Calumet monorail, I keep the bellows on the camera, partially compressed. The camera resides upside down in its case.

Me too. I feel the emphasis should be on "partially compressed" versus "fully compressed". This is based on related experience with both cloth and leather bellows in the pipe organ world.

Nathan Potter
29-Sep-2008, 08:21
For storage off camera I prefer bellows only partially compressed unless they've been carefully cleaned. In normal use, bellows, (at least mine) become somewhat dirty and grimy from sweat etc. so storing them compressed can cause the fold surfaces to stick.

On camera I just leave them folded into the field cameras. In general I don't have time to worry very much about such minute details. Ce la ne fait rien.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.