PDA

View Full Version : Family Beach Type Place During School Break, from NY

Frank Petronio
28-Sep-2008, 09:37
I know, I know, we should have booked something when the kid was born....

Since all the popular cool places have been booked up a year in advance (you know we are in a recession...) does anyone have any suggestions for a family-friendly type beach - nice hotel - place that might be a little out of the way and alternative and uncrowded (i.e. available) that still has fairly direct flights from NYC... between South America and Key West? Mind you it needs to be during the February school break ;-/

I'll bring a large film camera so the question remains relevant. I wouldn't want to get banned ;-)

David A. Goldfarb
28-Sep-2008, 11:13
If you can get to Hawai'i, my favorite tourist-type beach is Manele Bay on Lana'i. The water is crystal clear, and the beach is clean and uncrowded. The whole island is privately owned, and there are three hotels with a shuttle bus that runs between them, so you have access to everything no matter where you stay. The Manele Bay hotel is right on the beach, but I like staying at Hotel Lana'i in town, which is the historic plantation house and is also less expensive, and the fresh local fruit juices served in the morning are incredible.

There are interesting things to photograph with the big camera, like petroglyphs, a shipwreck, and historic and interesting geologic sites around the island with varying degrees of accessibility, depending on how adventurous you are.

You can fly nonstop Newark to Honolulu or Mau'i and then take a 20 min. flight to Lana'i.

Don Hutton
28-Sep-2008, 12:05
I know, I know, we should have booked something when the kid was born....

Since all the popular cool places have been booked up a year in advance (you know we are in a recession...) does anyone have any suggestions for a family-friendly type beach - nice hotel - place that might be a little out of the way and alternative and uncrowded (i.e. available) that still has fairly direct flights from NYC... between South America and Key West? Mind you it needs to be during the February school break ;-/

I'll bring a large film camera so the question remains relevant. I wouldn't want to get banned ;-)Honduras - Bay Islands. Direct hop from NYC and a very inexpensive destination.

Ed Pierce
3-Oct-2008, 03:08
Playa del Carmen is great with kids. Easy flight to Cancun then rent a car and drive down to Playa. Lots of good stuff to photograph. I've been going there for several years but have never tried bringing my 4x5...maybe this year. Many of the Mayan archeological sites will charge you extra if you're carrying a tripod.

Nathan Potter
3-Oct-2008, 06:39
Frank I mentioned this recently on another post. I go to St. John Virgin Islands. It's isolated and quiet and much of the island is a US national park. Never been bugged about tripods. Stay at the Hyatt or the Caneel Bay Resort. Rent a car (hardtop) to protect your photo gear. For me the photo interest is in the old sugar mill remains - wonderful limestone structures from the 18th and 19th centuries. Spectacular beaches and snorkling for the wife and kids. Don't sit under a Mancheneel (sp) tree along the beach though.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Clay Turtle
5-Oct-2008, 07:29
I know, I know, we should have booked something when the kid was born.... Since all the popular cool places have been booked up a year in advance (you know we are in a recession...) does anyone have any suggestions for a family-friendly type beach - nice hotel - place that might be a little out of the way and alternative and uncrowded (i.e. available) that still has fairly direct flights from NYC... between South America and Key West? Mind you it needs to be during the February school break ;-/
I'll bring a large film camera so the question remains relevant. I wouldn't want to get banned ;-) Funny thing you should ask because I was thinking about postinghere . . . the problem is these are 35mm so I questioned if they are appropiate on an LF forum board? On one hand some might feel less timidated by LF photo as then their shots would tend to compared? On the other, loking at 35mm shots some may think if he can do that with a small format, just think what I could do with an LF format!
A little background, I happen upon kayaking as a friend offered (loaned me his tandem to try out. He suggested a couple of places to go. One of which was a kayak rental concession out at Ft. DeSoto Beach. We went there & it had a nice little course for novice which we enjoyed. In fact I shot the Sea Oats macro, where we parked.
When some friends came down, naturally we took them out to Ft. DeSoto.

Clay Turtle
5-Oct-2008, 07:38
While we were there I went over to the pier & noted that a ferry ran out to EgMount Key daily @ 10:00 AM & brought you back around 3:00 PM.

Clay Turtle
5-Oct-2008, 07:40
The island is only accessable by water, was the site of a gunnery placement during the WAR (WWII).

Clay Turtle
5-Oct-2008, 07:51
It has a lighthouse & is a seabird sanctuary. Mostly noted for its uncluttered beach & the seashells along them.

Clay Turtle
5-Oct-2008, 08:39
Most noted for its uncluttered beaches & the seashells collected along them. The ferry also provides an opportunity for snorkeling time (will provide equipment if you don't). Which we didn't but those that did got a chance encounter with a herd of manatee & on the way back we were entertained by some porpoises. But as these are not caged seeing them is a matter of their habits.

PS For dog owners, Ft. DeSoto has a beach for you as well.

CantikFotos
7-Oct-2008, 04:02
Saipan, CNMI. It's brilliant. Fly NYC-Seoul-Saipan on Asiana.

shmoo
7-Oct-2008, 10:43
Poipu Beach, Kauai in Hawaii...none better for families.

John Jarosz
10-Oct-2008, 16:56
Grand Cayman. family type beaches - you can walk the length of 7 mile beach (about 4.3 miles!). Not too much to do away from the water. Nice diving and snorkeling. Pricey. beautiful sunsets that are different each night. get a condo type apartment with a kitchen so you can cook breakfast and dinner.

john