PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Hot Spots, Where To Get 8x20 Ground Glass and Mini Rant

Richard K.
28-Sep-2008, 08:33
Good Day all...

I've acquired a beautiful new 8x20 camera but I just don't like the acrylic GG suplied. It has the hottest of hot spots with almost total darkness surrounding and moving my head from side to side distracts me, makes me light headed (it's a heavy thing to move around) and is a nuisance. So....does anyone know where I can buy a GOOD quality GLASS GG? :confused: I tried Ritter and he says he now uses acrylic since he doesn't have a reliable source for glass. I also asked him if he knew who supplied Dick Phillips, as those were excellent, and he says they no longer are around either. Man this is getting depressing! Yesterday I went to the two biggest remaining photo stores (now digi stores) in Toronto and couldn't find any Rodinal© and also discovered that their darkroom sections were now postage stamp sized. In one store I asked where their used LF lenses were (they used to have tons) and the guy just looked at me as if Timothy O'Sullivan had just walked in with his donkey, asking for glass plates. I asked him if any store in Toronto had used LF lenses and he just gave me a creepy, supercilious, mocking sneer. This was a truly amazing look and should be tried in private in front of a mirror. :eek: I was going to show him what "I" liked of digital and got the correct finger ready on my right hand but managed to restrain myself. I muttered something about hoping that micro black holes had not escaped from Switzerland and were sucking up parts of peoples' brains and left. Sorry about the rant. :mad: Now where was I? Oh yes, supplier of GOOD GG? :)

Today is the last day of your life prior to now...

GPS
28-Sep-2008, 08:47
Before you start to make your camera even heavier - try the stupid way. Stick to a plain acrylic sheet (check the thickness) stripes of the widest frosted Scotch tape you find (the normal width is OK too). You'll be probably surprised how well it can work... I used this "solution" on my cameras when I needed to check it's functioning and didn't have the proper gg. I would even try it on your actual acrylic. Doesn't cost anything. Just a thought.

Frank Petronio
28-Sep-2008, 09:25
You could use two 8x10 pieces if you fabricate some more clips...

Capocheny
28-Sep-2008, 09:35
Hi Richard,

Following up on Frank's suggestion of two 8x10 sheets with additional clips... you can still buy good ground glass 8x10's from Dagor77 on Ebay.

I use one of Dagor77's 8x10 gg on my Dorff and it works fine.

Unfortunately, Satin Snow is not producing gg any longer... :(

Cheers

Richard K.
28-Sep-2008, 09:41
Unfortunately, Satin Snow is not producing gg any longer... :(

Cheers

Is that forever or just a lull? I was hoping they would resume. Also, anyone know if Bosscreen is still around? Thanks all.

Eric Biggerstaff
28-Sep-2008, 10:14
Why not grind your own?

I make my groundglass and it as as good as any traditional glass I have purchased. You can use normal window glass that can be cut to any size by your local glass shop. Then, use Aluminum Oxide grinding powders (3 micron and 5 micron) to grind the glass. The materials will cost about $35 (including glass) and it will take about 45 minutes to an hour to grind it. The more you grind the better the surface. Once you have done a few, you never have to worry about breaking a glass again.

I make all of my 5X7 and 4X5 glass this way and the surface is smooth and hot spot free. I usually make a few of each size to have extras on hand in case of an accident.

Dick Dokas had an article in Photo Techniques a few years ago detailing the process and I believe this is on the free articles section of their website. It gives you complete directions and information on where to purchase the materials.

Oren Grad
28-Sep-2008, 10:17
In addition to checking with Andrew/CP Goerz/Dagor77, you might also search on eBay for seller "photofinder", who offers GG in smaller sizes. I think this may be Stephen Shuart, who used to have a regular ad in Shutterbug years ago and from whom I obtained a 7x11 GG back then. If it's indeed Mr. Shuart, perhaps he can still have a custom size cut for you.

Capocheny
28-Sep-2008, 10:32
Is that forever or just a lull? I was hoping they would resume. Also, anyone know if Bosscreen is still around? Thanks all.

Hi Richard,

As far as I know... Dave has retired the business.

Perhaps, others would be able to confirm this?

Cheers

Oren Grad
28-Sep-2008, 10:33
A bit of Googling reveals that the industrial arm of Edmund still offers ground glass in some smaller sizes:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=1935

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=2926

I have no idea whether they'd be able or willing to do custom sizes in small quantity at a price that's not crazy, but in any case that might be another place to inquire.

Oren Grad
28-Sep-2008, 10:38
As far as I know... Dave has retired the business.

Perhaps, others would be able to confirm this?

Yes, Dave announced it here and it's been discussed extensively. See also his home page:

http://www.satinsnowglass.com/index.html

Denis Pleic
28-Sep-2008, 10:41
Hi Richard,

If you were a bit closer (I'm in Croatia :)), I'd be more than glad to make you one, for the cost of piece of glass purchased and cut to shape (with cut corners) at the glass store. Perhaps not as good as Satin Snow, but quite usable.

I made several in 4x5 and 8x10, for myself and a couple of friends. As Eric mentioned, it's the DIY method - just clear window glass and some elbow grease, combined with some grinding compound.

Since we're separated by an ocean :), you really might try the DIY solution... It's not that difficult, and the results might be quite usable.

I use a sturdy work surface, and a piece of THICK glass on top of that, as the base: I spread some grinding compound on top of that thick glass (I've heard the guys in the USA use "valve grinding compound", whatever that is), mixed with a bit of water, and place the glass to be ground on top of that, and just swirl it around, applying enough pressure... I wash the glass every now and then and dry it, to check the evenness, and after a while (approx 15-20 minutes for a 4x5 GG), it's more or less done....

Not really rocket science, so if you really can't get one, why not make it yourself?

Regards,

Denis

RichardRitter
28-Sep-2008, 10:45
Think of it this way. The bigger the glass the easily it breaks the more it weights. Glass for a 8 x 20 camera should be 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick to get the best protection against breakage. The ground glass on a camera when they break, breaks into long sharp pieces of glass that can and will given the chance go through the bellows and try to cut you up. How do I know this I have received a few camera where the glass broke and went through the bellows.

resummerfield
28-Sep-2008, 10:50
Try Geert Vanden Broeck at GVB (http://www.sheetfilm.be/groundglass.htm). He made an excellent gg for my 7x17. I was concerned that it was made in Belgium and had to be shipped to Alaska, but Geert packed it very well and it arrived in perfect condition.

Richard K.
28-Sep-2008, 11:40
Thank you all so much for your informed and useful replies (and why aren't we out there on this beautiful (in Toronto) Sunday, huh, hmmm?!?). I just may go the DIY route; I'm sure Timothy O'Sullivan and Carleton Watkins had to do at least that!!:)

phil sweeney
28-Sep-2008, 15:50
http://stores.ebay.com/Brilliant-Ground-Glass_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Nathan Potter
28-Sep-2008, 18:38
I described how I grind my glass in a post here about a week or two ago. Check ground glass in search. It's pretty easy to do.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

C. D. Keth
28-Sep-2008, 18:53
I described how I grind my glass in a post here about a week or two ago. Check ground glass in search. It's pretty easy to do.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

...and the results, with some patience, can easily be better than many commercial ggs. I've ground my own and found it about equal in fineness to a sinar glass but it measured about 2/3 of a stop brighter.

Tracy Storer
28-Sep-2008, 18:57
You could also even things up with a nice fresnel. : )

wfwhitaker
28-Sep-2008, 20:17
http://stores.ebay.com/Brilliant-Ground-Glass_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

This is Steve Hopf's Ebay seller site. I've ordered ground glass for several cameras and have been very pleased with both the product and Steve's service.