PDA

View Full Version : using cut roll paper in an Epson 3800

Eric Brody
25-Sep-2008, 17:45
Has anyone tried purchasing 50 foot rolls of paper and cutting them to use in an Epson 3800? I'm considering getting a 17 inch by 50 foot roll of Harman baryta glossy, to make 16x20 prints. My concern is whether the rolled paper will flatten, and how to flatten it so it will work smoothly in the printer.

If anyone has tried this, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience.

Thanks.

Eric

Ron Marshall
25-Sep-2008, 18:01
I haven't done this myself (I currently have a 2200). I have read posts about doing this with a 3800, where they recommend cutting the paper two inches longer than required for the print, in order that the trailing edge is still under the rear rollers when printing is complete, in order to prevent head strikes:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi045/essay.html#20061219

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/index.html

BarryS
25-Sep-2008, 18:35
I've bought several rolls of paper to cut on my Rotatrim for my 3800. I did it primarily to have longer paper stock available. I have a 36" wide roll and I cut 17" x 36" sheets. After cutting I flatten them between several sheets of mat board with weights. When I print, there's still a bit of a curl, but it prints just fine. I haven't had any head strikes--so it seems ok. Some papers hold more of a permanent curve, and they need more flattening. You can make a reverse roller tube if the curl is bad. I'd avoid any papers on the small 2" cores--look for 3" cores. The paper close to the core can have a vicious curl. The Harmon comes in 17x25 cut sheets, so I don't know why you'd want to mess with a roll for 16x20's.

Dave Aharonian
25-Sep-2008, 18:52
I have done exactly this in order to make the largest prints I can with my 3800. I bought a 17x50 roll of Silver Rag and while it works, it is a pain in the arse. The problem is the curl in the paper when you cut it, makes it very difficult to feed into the printer. I've taken to cutting a few sheets in advance and flattening them under a piece of wood overnight - taking care not to mark the printing surface of the paper. If you are only going to be printing 16x20, I'd recommend getting some 17x22 size paper, assuming it leaves enough of a border for you. I thought the roll would be cheaper but its pretty much the same price per sheet and its far easier to work with.