PDA

View Full Version : Any sightings of plaster elephants around Keeler, CA?

John Kasaian
25-Sep-2008, 16:48
I came across an account of a traveller written in the 1930's of finding plaster elephants used in the movie "Gunga Din" filmed in or near the Alabama Hills. After the film crew was finished the props were abandoned and local residents took them home with them. I was wondering if anyone here knew if any of these elephants have survived the passage of time and if so where they'd be hangin' out.

Preston
25-Sep-2008, 17:40
John, you might try contacting the Lone Pine Chamber of Commerce (http://www.lonepinechamber.org/). They may be able to put you in touch with some of the local movie folks.

I've been to Lone Pine many times over the years and I haven't seen any elephants lurking among the cottonwood trees. That doesn't mean they aren't there, though. :-)

-P

matthew blais
25-Sep-2008, 20:28
Now it makes sense...I thought I'd had one too many one night, and with the full moonlight, I swear it was a pink elephant to boot..

Now I can go back to drinking more regularly

Merg Ross
25-Sep-2008, 21:59
John, curious why you suggest Keeler. I photographed there in the early 1950's and it was a ghost town, located on the shore of what was once Owens Lake. It became a dry lake when the water was diverted to Los Angeles in the 1920's. Unfortunately, no sightings of plaster elephants! I did read a few years back that there is a small artists colony in Keeler.

BradS
26-Sep-2008, 06:38
our sleepy little town is over-run with colorful plywood cows each year...but no plaster elephants.

Speaking of movie props, I heard that the buffalo and wild boar on Catalina island are descended from animals brought to the island in Hollywood's "golden age" for a movie shoot there.

Joel Brown
26-Sep-2008, 10:19
John, Oct. 10th - 12th are the dates for the Lone Pine Film Festival. That would be the time and place to get answers.
Joel
www.joelbrownphotography

Nathan Potter
26-Sep-2008, 11:32
I think they're white elephants if they are plaster. We have a group of pink plastic flamingos (a few hundred) beside a freeway here in Austin. Will they do?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Vaughn
26-Sep-2008, 11:42
Speaking of movie props, I heard that the buffalo and wild boar on Catalina island are descended from animals brought to the island in Hollywood's "golden age" for a movie shoot there.

When I went to Boy Scout camp on the island for several summers in the mid-60's, and the pigs were regular visitors. ( BTW, there are wild sows, too.;) ) The pigs probably went feral from domestic stock and not introduced by the movie industry -- though the bison definitely were brought in for a movie.

Vaughn