PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Bulb for Adams Retouching Machine

Ron Bose
24-Sep-2008, 17:14
My 'new' Adams Retouching machine arrived with a shattered bulb :-(

The mail guys must have knocked it about.

Any ideas which bulb I can use to replace it ? I think it's a fluorescent day-light balanced ?

Thanks,
Ron

p.s. I think I'll rewire the beast as well, just in case the decades old wiring might be a little too aged.

John T
24-Sep-2008, 20:10
Adams Retouching is still in business

Adams Retouching Machine Co.
99 Southmoor Dr., Denver, CO, United States
(303)321-9495

I'd contact them.

John

Greg Lockrey
25-Sep-2008, 05:56
I had one in the 80's and replaced the bulb a couple of times. Just went to the hardware store. I believe the bulb type is on a sticker in the lamp house if I recall.

Capocheny
25-Sep-2008, 09:22
Ron,

Since you're in Canada... there's a bulb supply store out in Langley that supplies most types and makes of bulbs for whatever purpose you may have. Here's their contact info:

Specialty Bulb Products Inc.
Unit 2, 20010 - 100A Avenue
Langley, B.C.
V1M 3G4

Telephone: 604.513.8500
Fax: 604.513.8200

Their service is both reasonably priced and expedient... some bulb companies in the US will not ship out of country or, you have to buy in quantities of 6 or more.

Cheers

willwilson
25-Sep-2008, 10:21
No need for a special bulb. It is a standard fluorescent tube 14 watt I believe neutral color temp. I think 18" but I'd measure to be sure.

I had to replace mine when it arrived and I found a bulb that works great at Home Depot.

Ron Bose
25-Sep-2008, 12:59
Although the bulb inside was smashed to pieces, the seller had thoughtfully sent ma a spare which had survived the shipping (it was so well wrapped that I didn't even know there was a spare bulb !)

I'll try and contact Adam's to find out if I can refurb the machine myself.

I don't like old wires !

Thanks for the responses ....

Ron Bose
25-Sep-2008, 13:13
btw, if you do a search on Adam's Retouching Machine Co you'll find the address John T reported above, but a Google maps entry shows it to be somebody's house !

So either the area got redeveloped and the old factory unit was demolished to make way for homes or someone still makes them in their basement.

In either case I find it hard to believe that there's still a demand for these beasts, save us handful of Large formateers ....

John T
25-Sep-2008, 14:36
I was in Denver in the spring and noticed Adams Retouching Machine in the phone book. Maybe they run it out of a house-I can't believe they get a lot of business anymore. Not exactly a growth industry.

John

jnantz
25-Sep-2008, 17:10
you better buy a second spare,
before long you won't be able to buy
a incandescent light bulb ...

Ron Bose
25-Sep-2008, 19:47
you better buy a second spare,
before long you won't be able to buy
a incandescent light bulb ...

In this case it's a fluorescent tube. But with respect to enlarger bulbs I could not agree more. I have a stash for my Leitz 1a, but I need a spare for my L1200 Durst.

jnantz
25-Sep-2008, 20:07
In this case it's a fluorescent tube. But with respect to enlarger bulbs I could not agree more. I have a stash for my Leitz 1a, but I need a spare for my L1200 Durst.

i had forgotten it was a fluorescent tube!
i never had to replace mine, which i had for close to 20 years
before i sold it ( was a sad time ) ...

and speaking of a "stash" ...
i worked for a lady who hoarded those "long neck big bulb" bulbs for her
solar 5x7 enlarger.

i'll never forget the day she giggled
and said " look under the enlarger table in the box" .....
(it was a big-box)