PDA

View Full Version : Horseman Woodman 45 field camera - comments?

Peter Brown
9-May-2001, 22:54
Has anyone had any experience with the Horseman Woodman 45 field camera? I am inclined to buy the Ebony 45 series, but I'm interested in any comments on the Horseman as I am not familiar with Horseman products. How would it compare to the Ebony series equivalent, such as the Ebony RW 45?

Thanks in advance Peter Brown

Geoffrey_1456
9-May-2001, 23:42
Hi Peter,

Between Ebony and Woodman, no equivalent, no comparison. They are in two totally different worlds. One's in haven, the other in hell:-) In response to your previous post, you can get Ebony dealer info from the Ebony site at http://www.ebonycamera.com. You can review camera comparisons at the main page of this forum under "camera reviews". If you do decide to purchase an Ebony, call Jeff. He's the best of the best.

andrea milano
10-May-2001, 03:04
The Woodman is a very light camera.....and its qualities stop more or less there!I have had one and sold it very soon after buying, can't compare with Ebony!

Jukka Korhonen
10-May-2001, 05:27
I have had a Woodman 45 for about 3 years now, and it has served pretty well actually. It is a "bit" on the flimsy side, but other than that, I haven't had any problems with it.

BUT: If I was buying a field camera now, I believe I wouldn't get a Woodman again. There most certainly are better ones out there.

Regards,

Jukka

paul owen
10-May-2001, 20:26
No comparison really. the Horseman has the advantage over similar priced cameras in as much as it is fitted with an international back, but it cannot be compared to an ebony. I would class it in the same "league" as the Tachihara. It will do the job but probably not inspire confidence - it is no where near as stable or versatile as many other field cameras. I owned one very briefly (about a week) before part of the camera dropped off(one of the springs on the rear upright snapped). LF is a strange animal. One persons joy is anothers misery (so to speak). The best advice that anyone can give is to a) decide what you are going to take photos of and so what lenses you will need. b) work out your budget, remembering that you will require a surprising amount of accessories in order to be up and running c) find a camera that will take the lens that you reqire and draw up a shortlist. d) go and try them for yourself and see what you think. I personally can't imagine using anything other than my ebony, and I am eternally grateful for the advice that swayed me towards it. BUT it was only when I actually handled the camera that I decided to alter my choice and go for the SW45! I originally intended buying the Wide45, but as soon as I saw the SW iI was convinced! Good luck in your "quest" Paul

Peter Brown
12-May-2001, 04:54
Thanks for the above comments. Everything said confirms I'm making the right decision to buy the Ebony.

Regards Peter brown