PDA

View Full Version : Loading HP Combi Tank 4x5's in film changing tent

zack kl
23-Sep-2008, 11:48
Setting up my little bathroom darkroom takes some time and with the HP Combi daylight tank for developing I really would only need to set it up for contact printing IF it is possible to load the film into the Combi in a Harrison tent or Photoflex. Does anyone have real life experience doing this and if so what is the smallest tent one can use? Thanks, Zack

Toyon
23-Sep-2008, 12:07
I have a 4x5 tent and have loaded a combiplan inside the tent. It is pretty awkward, but I guess if I did it a lot more it would become easier. The problem is loading the film into the guide rails which requires precise loading from above. It would be easier in a larger tent.

LaurentB
23-Sep-2008, 12:18
It's currently the only way I have to develop my sheet film.
It's not that awkward, but one needs to be proficient enough and organized enough to load as fast as possible.

Most important : stay cool and determined ;-)

Bjorn Nilsson
23-Sep-2008, 12:31
It's also very important that you do practice runs with the CombiPlan. Both out of the loading tent and when you've got the hang of it, inside the loading tent. Do a couple of extra practice runs just before the real thing. This will make you more confident and you will succeed with it.
(Unless you already have some 6 waisted sheets of film, 3 sheets will do, as that is what is needed to feel that you've done it right on one side.)

//Björn

Jon Shiu
23-Sep-2008, 13:14
I've used a large changing bag (no frame) and it is no problem.

Jon

mrladewig
23-Sep-2008, 15:21
I would think that the photoflex changing tent I've got is pretty good for this purpose though I haven't tried it yet. Its tall and square which should give you room to work with the tank from above.

zack kl
23-Sep-2008, 15:31
Thanks everybody,
I've become pretty comfortable loading the HP Combi but worry about having enough workable height - which is why the Photoflex is looking good.
Cheers, Zack

gregstidham
23-Sep-2008, 21:31
I load my Combi-plan tank inside my pup size Harrison tent often and it works great. Like others have said, it can be a little cramped so stay organized inside the tent.

I also found it helpful to load the tank when no one is home so that my wife doesn't sneak up and tickle me while I have my arms in the sleeves. :)

Ash
24-Sep-2008, 02:27
I used a very large changing bag. The problem with them is there isn't any empty space. They flatten at every opportunity. That's not too useful for something like a combiplan, but it's usable.

You should try and get the largest tent you can afford. It's comfort more than anything.

gevalia
24-Sep-2008, 04:44
I use the Combi tank for 4x5 since I have no darkroom. Loading and unloading using my Harrison tent is not an issue at all. I will say that while you can get pretty quick at doing this, it is best to take your time. I have had issues where the film left the track during inversion. This was my fault, not the fault of the tank. So while I can load a tank in just a few minutes, I take the time to make sure all sheets are properly seated.

redrockcoulee
24-Sep-2008, 06:22
I load mine in a large changing bag with no problems but before I was given the large bag I was using a small bag and most of the time it worked as well. Never used a tent but compared to a changing bag it should be no problem.

Found most films no problem but as have stated previously some films such as Technical Pan are a pain in the Combi tank until you do learn to work slowly and carefully but than this is large format and why should loading a tank be any different from the rest of the procedures? Good luck and enjoy!

zack kl
24-Sep-2008, 12:34
Thanks once again to everybody, sounds as if it is doable- even for me. Price of the Photoflex is a lot less than a Harrison so ... ??