PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Texas Alt Photo (and anything else) Shindig

Matt Magruder
22-Sep-2008, 20:13
This may be redundant for some, but I wanted to post this here for anyone that might be interested in attending.

There's gonna be a Texas Photo Get together/Shindig on Oct 24th.

I put together a small website about the get together, who/what/when/where/etc...

Take a look.
http://www.matthewmagruder.com/txaltget_webpage/

Would love to have some fellow Large Formaters there... or pretty much anyone who enjoys photography.
Pretty much everything is welcome.

If you've got any questions my contact info is repeated many times over on the above website.

Hope some of you can make it.

David Vickery
25-Sep-2008, 09:22
Hello Matt,
I guess I am out of touch as this is not redundant for me, and I live right up the road in Wimberley.
I am definitely interested, even though I don't yet do any alternative photo work.
David

vintage racer
25-Sep-2008, 10:28
Hi Matt,

Looks great! really wish I could attend, unfortunately that weekend Im driving in the Texas Mile event in Goliad.

-Eddie Garza

Steve M Hostetter
26-Sep-2008, 06:13
Will ZZ Top be there ?

bigdog
26-Sep-2008, 12:59
... I live right up the road in Wimberley.
I am definitely interested, even though I don't yet do any alternative photo work.
David

I'm staying up the road in Wimberley and my "alternative" photography is film and silver gelatin printing. It all counts! :D

Come on down.

Will ZZ Top be there ?

No, but Matt and I both have beards ...

wclavey
29-Sep-2008, 11:16
...but can you do a good version of Sharp Dressed Man or Gimme All Your Lovin'?

I plan to be there, but I will be staying with my brother in Austin and driving over each day that there are planned discussions, events or outings... I'm excited!

David Vickery
29-Sep-2008, 14:31
Hello, Any idea about how many people may be showing up for this??

Mike Castles
29-Sep-2008, 15:31
Hello, Any idea about how many people may be showing up for this??

David, I've run a quick count and my best guess at this point is between 15-20, if all that have indicated they are coming show up (Matt might have better numbers so if he does not post to this, send him and email or PM).

Matt Magruder
1-Oct-2008, 18:26
Its all a guesstimation really. Thinking there will be maybe 20 people +/-.
There could be 10.... then again there could be 50... I haven't a clue.
But goin on the responses through email and on the forums, 20 seems a good guess.

Hope that people can make it... the more the merrier.

Matt Magruder
12-Oct-2008, 13:19
ust a bit of an update.

Scott Schroeder will be generously demoing the wetplate collodion process for us. Which I'm very grateful to him for doing. - Scott, Ill bring a fresh bottle of collodion and all my glass/chems/supplies so you don't have to burn through all yours. If possible I'll pour some as well and demo some.

Everything seems to be coming together. There is a local BBQ joint about 2 mins from the house thats gonna provide us with food to devour. Please bring a couple bucks to donate for the food fund ($10 a person maybe?). Also, reminder to bring any beverages you'll wanna consume (cerveza, vino, etc etc). I know I'll be enjoying a few Lone Stars.

Also, I got bored on friday night and made some Tshirt designs and put them on Cafepress. No profit on my end... just thought people would enjoy them.

CafePress TX Shindig Tshirts (http://www.cafepress.com/txaltshindig)

For those of you not familiar with Texas history, the "Come and Take a Photo" Tshirt is in reference/spoof to the flag from the Battle of Gonzales.

wclavey
17-Oct-2008, 14:36
My plans to participate Friday just came to a screeching halt by the incursion of work into my life! I now will be out of town all next week not returning until Friday night. But I intend to be there all day Saturday and Sunday (if there are any outings or activities planned for Sunday).

I would like to connect up with a group shooting on Saturday morning, and will leave Houston very early in the morning to do so, but I would need to know specifically where i would be headed and roughly what time people plan to assemble. So if someone could include me in any email or arrangements (through Wayne [Venchka] would be fine) then I'll be there.

I did not see any specific mention of any activities or outings on Sunday, but in the absence of anything planned, I intend to stay until evening and do some shooting, if anyone else is interested.

Matt Magruder
17-Oct-2008, 14:49
Glad you will be able to make it.

I plan on spending sat morning setting up for the wet plate demo and doing any last minute stuff. Will likely be shooting wet plate around the house though.

Sunday, would definitely like to go shooting somewhere, not sure where though. We can figure out some options on sat during the get together.

clay harmon
17-Oct-2008, 15:44
Matt,

I am still planning on day-tripping it over on Saturday from Houston with a very early exit from here on Saturday. Anyone else wanting to do some ride sharing from Houston can get in touch with me also.

Matt Magruder
17-Oct-2008, 19:29
glad you are still gonna be able to make it Clay. Looking forward to catching up.

Scott Schroeder
17-Oct-2008, 19:37
Can't wait to meet everyone.
I'm just pissed I can't stick around too long.
Matt, my chemistry is all a go and I get to play more this Sunday.
I have the dark box that works with the truck and I'll try to squeeze the other portable box into there as well. I might get there early and start playing around....

Mike Castles
18-Oct-2008, 07:00
Wow, looks like this will be filled with some good people and lots to see and talk about.

Clay, look forward to visiting with you again.

Scott, really looking forward to watching the wetplate process - Thanks for doing this.

Mike Castles
18-Oct-2008, 07:06
I would like to connect up with a group shooting on Saturday morning, and will leave Houston very early in the morning to do so, but I would need to know specifically where i would be headed and roughly what time people plan to assemble. So if someone could include me in any email or arrangements (through Wayne [Venchka] would be fine) then I'll be there.

I did not see any specific mention of any activities or outings on Sunday, but in the absence of anything planned, I intend to stay until evening and do some shooting, if anyone else is interested.

Nothing planned for Saturday morning, but if Matt does not need any extra help getting things set up I could be talked into spending part of the morning over at Guadalupe River State Park or in the area below Canyon Lake dam (it washed out during a flood in 2002). Both are near by, so we can expose some film and still head back around noon. NOTE: I have not been to either location, but do plan to go to GRSP on Friday so will have a better idea of what it will be like. If interested, send me and PM or email and we can work something out as far as a place to meet, etc.

Matt Magruder
20-Oct-2008, 07:38
Just a bit of an update for all those coming to the shindig.

A local Austin wet plate shooter, Mark Hall, has generously offered to loan me his portable wet plate dark box so, Scott Schroeder and myself will both have portable darkboxes/rooms to demo Wet Plate on Sat morning. Scott has to leave around 1pm so we will more than likely be setting up and pouring some from 11am +/- til 1pm-ish.
I will be there at the house all morning, prepping for people showing up, setting up the wet plate stuff, etc.
So if people who'd like to see the collodion process can show up around 11:30am +/- I think we'll be geared up and ready pour.

The BBQ/food will be getting picked up around 130pm, so food will be ready there around 2pm-ish.
I've estimated around 25 people.
If possible can people reply to this post so that I can get an idea on numbers of people definitely planning on coming.
Thanks.

Remember to bring...
- any beverages you might like to consume (theres a couple convenience stores on the way to the house)
- a lawn chair if you can manage it
- $10 for the food funding
- prints (any and ALL types - GASP - even digital prints if you'd like) to share
- and most importantly, bright and shining self, ready to enjoy some good company, good conversation, good BBQ, and perhaps some adult beverages.

In case people get lost and need someone to direct them to the house I can be reached at my cell phone (512 565 6691) or if that doesnt work the house land line (830 935 2797)

Again heres some info on directions and such:
http://www.matthewmagruder.com/txaltget_webpage/

Hope to see everyone in a few days.

chinapaul
20-Oct-2008, 23:38
Relly wish I could attend,but i'm in China,too far away from Texas.
I want to know everyone! Have a nice day!

paul

David Vickery
24-Oct-2008, 17:22
Hello,
Well drat, but I can't be there. I was looking forward to meeting fellow Large format photographers from Texas but events have conspired against me and I will not be able to.
Judging from what I have seen online, Texas has some excellent craftspeople who are doing the kind of work that I find most interesting. So, maybe next time.
I hope you all have a lot of fun!
David

Mike Castles
24-Oct-2008, 19:25
David, sorry to hear you can't make it. Had a really nice outing today with David Brown and Matt - who was doing some wet-plate work. Scott showed up and visited with us for a short while, along with his fine young son.

Nathan Potter
25-Oct-2008, 14:50
Well double drat Matt I'm frantic. I kinda thought I wouldn't be able to make it, and I can't, because I'm just about to leave for New England. Hope things are going well and trust I can meet you all next time.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Mike Castles
25-Oct-2008, 18:16
Well, the gathering was very nice...sure Matt will post his thoughts when he recovers from the past couple of days. There must have 20-25 good people show up, and there was some very good work shown. A special Thank You to Matt's parents for hosting everyone, and to Matt and Scott for the wet plate demos.

wclavey
29-Oct-2008, 17:25
Finally getting my head above water from work since the weekend. I had a great time at the Magruder home and greatly enjoyed seeing the processes, asking questions, and, most of all, meeting the people. But alas, I am not a names person - - I will never forget a face but your name is gone by the time I walk away. Would someone who was there consider making a list of the people who attended? Mike, Dave, Matt, Scott, and Wayne are about all I'm good for...