PDA

View Full Version : Schneider lens caps?

davidp
22-Sep-2008, 05:48
Hey everyone,

I just bought my first 4x5 lens (schneider 210mm f/5.6 symmar-s... woohoo). Although it came without lens caps. Does anybody know the thread size? They sell a whole bunch on B&H

Link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=schneider+lens+caps&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2FRootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=submit

I was just wondering what caps would fit and protect the front and rear elements of the 210mm f/5.6? Their pretty pricey, but i am willing to pay for them to protect the lens. Or does anybody know anywhere else that sells them cheaper?

Thank you.:)

Skorzen
22-Sep-2008, 06:28
try looking here (http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/symmar-s/data/1,5,6-210mm.html). Schneider is one of those weird companies that actually supplies information on their legacy products (including date of manufacture).

davidp
22-Sep-2008, 06:52
would it be under Accessory Thread?

M 77 X 0.75?

Jay Wolfe
22-Sep-2008, 06:58
The front thread on a 210Symmar S is 77mm. A standard 77mm lenscap will work. If you want slip on caps, measure the outside dimension of the front and rear elements with a caliper, and buy them in those dimensions. I like snap caps for the front of my lenses.

davidp
22-Sep-2008, 07:01
77mm? Ok thanks! what about the back element? Sorry i'm a bit of a noob.

Len Eselson
22-Sep-2008, 07:20
Before investing in lens caps you may want to think about filters, and filter adapters.
If you plan on having multiple lenses, it is often easiest on your pocket book, and easier to carry, to have only a single set of filters. These can be sized to your largest lens, or even to a larger size if you're not sure what your largest lens will be. You then can fit a low cost adapter to your lenses. If you take this route, then in addition to getting an adapter for each lens, you can get a snap on cap for the front element which fits the adapter, which lives on the lens. In addition to the usual sources such as B&H try the Filter Connection, http://www.2filters.com/

Len Eselson

davidp
22-Sep-2008, 07:33
Thanks everyone for your speedy replies! I just have a few more questions.

1. Could anybody tell me the thread size for the rear element? I cannot find the answer anywhere on the world wide web!!

2. Will any lens cap that is big enough be ok? Im seeing a lot of cheap no name caps for five dollars compared to $30 US dollar Schneider lens cap?

Thank you!

Orfitinho
22-Sep-2008, 08:38
According to this this old catalogue (http://www.schneider-kreuznach.de/archiv/pdf/symmar_s_72.pdf) the Symmar-S 210/5.6 uses a 57mm slip on cap on the back side. (Column "Dh" at page 2).

For the front element you can use a normal cap, or a screw in filter, with
diameter of 77mm (Metric 77x 0.75, to be exact)

Double check this and other information you find their with a ruler. There might have been different versions. You might find data of other versions here (http://www.schneider-kreuznach.de/archiv/archiv.htm) (in German, sorry, but at least they provide some information).

Gerd

Aender Brepsom
22-Sep-2008, 08:41
According to the Schneider website (http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/symmar-s/data/1,5,6-210mm.html), the front filter thread is 77mm and the rear one is 39mm.
I have never owned a Symmar-S 210mm, but this is defintely different from other 5.6/210mm plasmat lenses that I own or have owned. My Rodenstock Sinaron S 5.6/210mm takes a 70mm push on cap on the front and a 60mm cap on the back element (67mm and 58mm threads).

Yours should take an 80mm cap on the front and a 42mm on the back.

I have used cheap push-on caps that worked just as fine as Schneider caps. Sometimes, older Schneider caps can not fit firmly enough.

Personally, I do not like the snap-in caps, but the do almost always fit.

ic-racer
22-Sep-2008, 08:42
Kaiser makes slip on lens caps that will fit (I have them for my 210 Symmar-S). They are sized by the outer diameter of the lens, not the filter thread size. There were different 210 Symmars, so my sizes may not match yours. If you have the lens, just measure the outside diameters.

Aender Brepsom
22-Sep-2008, 09:49
Of course, Gerd (Orfithino) is right about the rear diameter of 57mm. I have written plain nonsense in my earlier post. The 39mm is the diameter of the mounting thread (for the shutter). Sorry about that. My apologies.
So, you might need a 60mm push on cap for the rear element.

Brian Ellis
22-Sep-2008, 13:43
I buy Schneider lens caps from Schneider in the U.S.. That way they're original and you can be sure of getting the correct size. They cost a little more than the third-party caps but to me the few extra dollars was worth the price. I can't remember whether I ordered them through Schneider in California or in NY, I think NY. This was a few years ago, I assume they still sell them. Just go to www.schneideroptics.com and you can get a phone #.

davidp
22-Sep-2008, 14:57
Yours should take an 80mm cap on the front and a 42mm on the back.

Thank you so much! except if the size is 77mm wouldn't the 80mm be slightly too big and be kinda loose? Ive heard to add 1 or 2 extra mm for a cap but is 3 kinda pushing it? Would I be better to get the 77mm snap on over the 80mm? (just because the 80mm is almost double the price and Id fear it being just abit too big? Although I could be completely wrong!) Thank you again for directing me to the Schneider site! its so much cheaper (AUS to US dollar conversion sucks at the moment!!)

Thanks!

747sp
23-Sep-2008, 06:29
probably not too practical for you, but you could get them from Robert White in the UK - i had the same problem with a Symmar s 240mm i bought a couple of weeks ago - no caps (just a Ben and Jerry's Lid on one side and a Pringles lid on the other - held on with tape!!). I rang Robert White, told them the lense details and they spec'ed the sizes and sent them - about £15 in all....

Jay Wolfe
23-Sep-2008, 07:46
If you want slip on caps, measure the outside diameter of each lens with a dial caliper. Then order that size. This is really pretty simple.

If you want snap caps, order a 77mm for the front.

You can take your lens to a good camera shop and test the caps to make sure you get the right size.

Merg Ross
23-Sep-2008, 11:49
A second vote for Filter Connection.

http://www.2filter.com/prices/catalog.html

stealthman_1
24-Sep-2008, 10:17
For 5 bucks you can get snap caps from Hong Kong on the auction site. A Nikon 77mm snap cap works perfectly on my Rodenstock 210 f5.6. I just ordered a 62mm for my 150 f5.6 Schneider. I've bought mr rangefinder caps the same way... Saved hundreds of $$$$.

Jon Shiu
24-Sep-2008, 12:09
For 5 bucks you can get snap caps from Hong Kong on the auction site. A Nikon 77mm snap cap works perfectly on my Rodenstock 210 f5.6. I just ordered a 62mm for my 150 f5.6 Schneider. I've bought mr rangefinder caps the same way... Saved hundreds of $$$$.

You can also get the generic snap caps from freestylephoto.biz (LA area).

Jon

Rodney Polden
24-Sep-2008, 15:31
On my 210 Symmar-S, the push-on rear cap (Schneider) seems to be about 66mm, and its part no. is SN 223/28.1. Hope that may be of help.

davidp
24-Sep-2008, 17:57
Thanks everyone!

I went to my local camera store and tried a snap on 77mm, it fit perfectly except the inside of the cap came way too close to the front element! so i am deffiantly going to buy slip ons! bummer, anyways! thanks for everyone's replies!

stealthman_1
24-Sep-2008, 22:06
Before I go too long with incomplete advice out there...let me correct myself. My 77mm cap works perfect because...I have a step up ring on it for 77mm filters. I don't think it would work otherwise for the reasons the OP stated above.
Jeez..and the Schneider actually takes a 58mm ring...Sorry...:o

Atul Mohidekar
24-Sep-2008, 23:00
If you are thinking of buying a slip-on/push-on cap...

I ordered Schneider 80mm slip-on cap for Schneider 77mm slim Polarizer that has no front threads (so the Nikon type snap-on cap does not work). In fact, the 80mm cap is advertised as "80mm Push-on Lens Cap for 77mm Slim Filter" on B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&ci=0&sb=ps&sq=desc&sortDrop=Relevance&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&shs=B%2BW+cap&ci=297&at=Diameter_80mm&basicSubmit=Submit+Query#

The 80mm slip-on cap is way too big for the 77mm slim Polarizer, it does not stay put at all. Your case is different than mine in that the thickness of the front metal might be different between the lens and the filter. So, as was suggested earlier in this thread, measure the outer diameter carefully before buying a slip-on cap.

BTW, I'm still looking for a slip-on/push-on cap for the 77mm slim Polarizer. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

// Atul

davidp
25-Sep-2008, 06:21
yeah if anyone has any spare caps let me know :)