PDA

View Full Version : LF Help

bumgardnern
21-Sep-2008, 17:36
Hi

I am in search of a good large format camera and really do not know where to start. I have read though a lot of the postings on this forum and looked around quite a bit and have no clue where to start. So I am looking for some guidance. So I will start with some information about me.

I am an editorial photographer who is trying to make the jump to becoming a commercial photographer. I have wanted to get a large format camera for years but have never done it because of a lack of knowledge. Right now I really want to start doing a series of large format portraits and do either gum prints or platinum palladium prints with them. What I love about LF is the sharpness, tonal range, detail, and over all feel that LF negatives offer. I have only used a large format camera a few times. I have a basic knowledge of using movements and how a large format camera works.

I will also use the camera for landscape and architecture. So some movements would be great.

Price wise I am looking to get started with the camera, film holders and a lens for under $1,500usd.

To see some of my current work please visit my website www.bumgardnerphoto.com (http://www.bumgardnerphoto.com) hopefully it will be able to give you some insight about where I am photographically and help you help me figure out what I need to start with.

Rafael Garcia
21-Sep-2008, 18:18
Format? 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, others? 4x5 will need an enlarger, 5x7 is marginal, 8x10 can live off contact prints.

Portrait - a monorail camera works in the studio. No portability required
Landscape - a field camera is lighter, more portable
Architecture - a monorail will have the movements necessary, portability less of an issue

$1500.00 - adequate for your needs if you buy good used equipment. For reference visit KEH.com. Their ratings are very conservative so that "bargain" is pretty good.
You should expect to spend more on the lenses than the camera. 4x5 is the most available, 8x10 is expensive and your lens choice is limited. 5x7, which is my preferred format, is dissapearing.

The above is very general advice. You need to narrow down your choices and then study a more specific direction. With a more definite direction you can get better advice.

Brian Vuillemenot
21-Sep-2008, 18:28
I recommend that you start out with 4X5. You can get a nice used field camera such as a Shen-hao, Tachihara, or Wista in near mint condition for about $500 or less. Another option is a Crown Graphic or Speed Graphic, which has limited movements and bellows extension, but is available for even less. You really don't need all that many movements unless you're doing architectural photography. As was mentioned, the camera is not nearly as important as the lens. Just buy one lens to start with, operhaps in the 135-150-180-210 mm range. Any modern, multi-coated lens from the big four (Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor, or Fuji) should be excellent. Don't worry about the latest and greatest lens design- anything made within the last two decades shouyld work fine. You should be able to pick up a used lens in excellent condition for about $200-$300. As far as film, you may want to start with quick-load packets- although it's more per sheet of film, it eliminates needing to load film holders in the dark, saves on weight, makes it easier to organize your exposure notes, and eliminates dust completely.

There is plenty more information on the lfphoto.info site- read all the starter articles, they are an excellent place to start. I would buy one camera and one lens (should cost well under $1000), put it on a sturdy tripod, and then practice, practice, practice with just one film emulsion until you have the basics worked out. Good luck and take advantage of this wonderful forum for all your questions!

Bruce Barlow
22-Sep-2008, 04:48
These days, we at Fine Focus Workshops recommend that you find an inexpensive camera with full movements, and a good lens. When the camera can no longer do what you need to do, get one that does. I still have my first Wista, and still love it. Got an 8x10 when I decided to do 8x10

That said, I'd opt for a 4x5 field camera (a used Tachihara or Wista or something like that), and a 210mm lens (most versatile for what you appear to want to do), a dozen film holders (you can never have too many, and always will have one too few). A sturdy tripod is a must, use a black T-shirt as a dark cloth.

4x5 platinum prints can be gorgeous, and let's not forget the price-per-print for someone learning. 4x5 any subject contact prints are jewels, and you have the flexibility of picking up an enlarger later to make bigger prints if you want. For now, you can make contact prints in the bathroom.

Get your toys and enjoy. LF portraits are about as much fun as photography gets. I'm embarking on an 8x10 portrait project, and can't wait.

Scott Kathe
22-Sep-2008, 05:34
All great advise so far-and that is what you will usually get here:) I started by building a Bender 4x5, it was a lot of fun to build and a lot of work to use-I would not go that route. Next I got a Crown Graphic and loved it till I wanted more movements than the camera could provide. I was all set to get a used Tachihara but I got a really nice deal on a Shen Hao and I've been extremely satisfied. I've been very happy with 4x5 but recently I have been thinking about 5x7 for contact printing and I think I might like the 5x7 aspect ratio more. You can always use a reducing back on a 5x7 to shoot 4x5 BUT you really need to try out large format and you don't have to stick with the first camera you get. Your experience will tell you if you need a different camera or a different format, if you buy used you really won't loose any money since these cameras don't depreciate much at all.

Good luck and have fun!

Scott

IanG
22-Sep-2008, 05:38
Like Bruce I still have my Wista bought around 87 and love it, they're great cameras to use. But you mat want to look at a monorail camera for your doing architectural shots as there are greater movements compared to a Wista.

Lens wise you may want something like a 90mm Super Angulon or Grandagon as well as a 150mm or 210mm.

If you're careful and watch the For Sale section on this site & the Classifieds on APUG you could find everything you need for under $1500.

Ian

Bill_1856
22-Sep-2008, 05:57
Looking at your portrfoilio, you're doing fine with what you're using now. I don't know why you'd want to change.

Brian Ellis
22-Sep-2008, 06:34
You say your immediate interest is in making gum and platinum prints for a portrait project you have in mind. You also say you plan to do some landscape and architectural photography.

Gum and platinum printing are both contact printing processes. 4x5 is too small for contact printing on a consistent basis. 5x7 is the minimum size for contact prints. However, that's really too small too IMHO if it's your only camera. I bought a 5x7 camera to use for gum printing because I like the 5x7 aspect ratio but I found that I wasn't satisfied with that size on a consistent basis. So if you use a 4x5 or 5x7 camera I think you'll need to also learn how to make digitally enlarged negatives. Are you planning to do that? If not then you'll need an 8x10 camera at a minimum for your contact prints. Without knowing whether you contemplate contact prints from your in-camera negatives or contact prints from digitally enlarged negatives it's impossible to give you any meaningful guidance as to a camera, lens, etc. that's within your budget.

bumgardnern
22-Sep-2008, 09:37
Thanks for all the help so far guys. I think my first course of action now is going to be for me to ask several of my friends if they have any working lf cameras. I have a friend that has several LF cameras around his studio, but I don't know if they work. If one of them works I am going to start learning on that.

I agree with the sentiment that 4x5 is to small for contact printing for the type of prints that I want to do. 8x10 or larger would be ideal for what I want to do but I think it would be better to learn on the smaller 4x5 because of film prices.

If I can not find a LF camera that I can borrow from a friend I think that I will try to pick up a 4x5 field camera because they tend to be cheaper. I hope to get this project started by the end of the year.

bumgardnern
23-Sep-2008, 19:42
Thanks again for the advice guys. I am borrowing two cameras right now. One is a Speed Graphic and the other is an 8x10 that I have not been told the details about yet. I will get the Speed Graphic tomorrow I think and the 8x10 sometime the next week. I'm in the studio tomorrow and then going on a shoot with a friend for the weekend.