PDA

View Full Version : Packard #5/#6 questions

C. D. Keth
21-Sep-2008, 00:33
I have a shutter sitting in front of me and I'd like to know if it has an "instantaneous" exposure option.

How can you tell the difference between a Packard #5 and a #6? I know that one of them has a place to insert some kind of pin but I don't know where that hole would be.

The shutter I have has a few different holes in various places and I'm reluctant to just start sticking pins in them to see what happens.

Also, should mine turn out to be a #6 what kind of pin would work? Anything that fits or would it have to be a close fit to the hole?

Gary L. Quay
21-Sep-2008, 04:48
http://www.packardshutter.com/

They're still made. If the info you seek is not on the site, Reno Farinelli would love to hear from you.

--Gary

cowanw
21-Sep-2008, 05:41
the hole is about 1mm and in the right upper quadrant (metal side facing, shutter release pointing down) Some have the hole on the felt side in which case there will be a nipple on the steel side. any pin that fits is OK. The pin blocks/flips/alters the inside mechanism. If there are any other holes they will be missing screws.
Regards
Bill

Rafael Garcia
21-Sep-2008, 05:50
It's not a complicated mechanism. Mine is a #5 (no pin). At this moment it is part of a box lensboard assembly and not visible, so I can't use it to point out the hinge pins.

There are four hinges that have screws through them that the shutter blades pivot about. They are not symetrically placed. Even if you tried you could not stick a pin through them, as they have screws in the center and are therefore solid. I would guess that any hole you can stick a wire brad or hat pin through is the one you look for. Just don't force anything.

Best is to open the darned thing. If you are somewhat careful you will not damage anything, and you will be able to see how it works.

C. D. Keth
21-Sep-2008, 19:16
I figured it out. Mine is a #6. What was throwing me off were some pieces of cardboard that someone put in the corners for some strange reason. They were not letting part of the mechanism move enough for the instantaneous mode to work properly.

A little bronze wool and it works like a charm.

emo supremo
8-May-2009, 08:09
I'd like to resurrect this old post. I have my first Packard in front of me and I'm embarrassed to say I don't see anywhere in the forum how they are used. Perhaps I missed it when I searched the forum for "Packard Shutter" in the title of advanced search?
Any help would be nice. I don't want to break it.

emo supremo
8-May-2009, 08:26
Hey, there is fellow Reno at Packard Shutter (the url above) and he is a gold mine of information. (209) 245-5719