PDA

View Full Version : Derogy Lens...Cult lens?

Jon Wilson
20-Sep-2008, 16:47
Does anyone know anything about this Derogy lens? Portrait lens? Is it a "cult" lens or a door stop?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Derogy-14-inch-Vintage-Brass-Lens_W0QQitemZ200254429326QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200254429326&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks. Jon

Dan Fromm
20-Sep-2008, 17:10
If you've never heard of it, it can't be a cult lens. Cults are as public as can be. If you buy it, perhaps you could start a Derogy cult even if it works best as a door stop..

Jon Wilson
20-Sep-2008, 17:20
Actually, Dan, I have heard or at least seen a couple posts about Derogy lens...most notably by Kerik who has posted some wonderful pictures taken with a Derogy portrait lens. This one appears to be marked as an APLANAT lens. I have not seen any sample shots from a Derogy Aplanat lens. It will be interesting to see what this lens will can do.

BarryS
20-Sep-2008, 17:20
The selling price of $250 is pretty high for a 14" rapid rectilinear type lens without a flange. It's not a soft focus or even a portrait lens, and they made a lot of RR lenses. I think I've seen some other Derogy lenses go for more than the lens type is really worth, so someone is interested in them. Maybe it's the swanky crown engraved on the barrel? I think there may be a small Derogy cult, but I doubt it's much better (or worse) than any other similar RR.

jnantz
20-Sep-2008, 18:13
Actually, Dan, I have heard or at least seen a couple posts about Derogy lens...most notably by Kerik who has posted some wonderful pictures taken with a Derogy portrait lens. This one appears to be marked as an APLANAT lens. I have not seen any sample shots from a Derogy Aplanat lens. It will be interesting to see what this lens will can do.

hi jon

the verito is from what i understand a fast rr-lens.
it is much faster though, that is, unless the 8-44 is a different
scale ( stoltz? ) and the 8 is equiv. to f 4 ?
this might be able to be used as a convertible lens as well ;)

have fun!

john

goamules
20-Sep-2008, 18:37
Derogy were french lenses makers, contemporary with Hermagis, Darlot, etc. I believe. To me, most petzvals will have the same effect, most aplants and rapid rectilinears will also. I think most from this period will work the same, and I wouldn't pay 250 for one. It was just a buying frenzy.

Ole Tjugen
20-Sep-2008, 18:49
The aperture scale looks like a normal f-stop scale - some makers used 16-23-32-45, others used 16-22-32-44 or the more familiar 16-22-32-45. It all depends on how you round off the numbers (hint: Using f:23 is really more correct than 22!).

To me this lens looks like a "bog standard" Aplanat lens. It should be a good one though, and cover 10x12" if the 14" focal length is close to being correct. It might be worth a third of the selling price.

BarryS
20-Sep-2008, 19:42
Ok, I'm slow on the uptake--you already bought the lens when you posted--right? :) I have a bunch of rapid rectilinear/aplanat lenses and I like them. They're not trendy or cult lenses, but they're sharp in the center and the out of focus areas have a nice look. Not the swirl of size-too-small petzvals, but soft and nice. As with any RR, you can use it as a convertible by removing one of the cells.

goamules
20-Sep-2008, 19:53
I just looked and it was no "bidding war", just someone trying to get to the reserve, I guess. Four bids by the same person. I recently got my first couple of aplanats, and hope to use one soon.

Jon Wilson
20-Sep-2008, 19:58
Ok, I'm slow on the uptake--you already bought the lens when you posted--right? :) I have a bunch of rapid rectilinear/aplanat lenses and I like them. They're not trendy or cult lenses, but they're sharp in the center and the out of focus areas have a nice look. Not the swirl of size-too-small petzvals, but soft and nice. As with any RR, you can use it as a convertible by removing one of the cells.

Yes, I am the one who went overboard for this lens. I am looking for the sharp center and diffused outward from there LOOK. I think it may work well on either my 8x10 or 11x14. In any event....it is another toy for me to play with :)

I appreciate everyone's comments and observations. Jon

Petzval Paul
20-Sep-2008, 20:07
No real difference between any of those French lens makers - Darlot, Derogy, Hermagis, Gasc, etc. All are nice lenses and will make fine images. Steve, the seller [ambropoetica], is a great guy and I am sure his description was 100% accurate, so I really don't think you paid too much for it, considering the condition. If it gives you the look you are after... it will all be worth it, right?

Wimpler
21-Sep-2008, 02:45
Derogy might not be well known in the US, but in Europe they had a reputation of one of the highest quality lens makers of their time.

seven
21-Sep-2008, 03:51
there is a cult lens from Derogy - a Petzval.

Jon Wilson
28-Sep-2008, 17:11
Here is one of my first shots with this lens. What do you think?

goamules
28-Sep-2008, 17:21
I think that is a beautiful shot and proves you'll make many more with your great lens!

Jon Wilson
28-Sep-2008, 18:08
I think that is a beautiful shot and proves you'll make many more with your great lens!

Thank you. I am excited about it too. Here is another shot of this rose, but with a Voightlander which I estimate to be a 12 inch/300mm barrel lens.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=7916047

Jim Galli
28-Sep-2008, 20:53
Pretty shot Jon. I compared both over at photo net and the representation of the derogy shot there is better. The one here seems too hot on my monitor. Both are excellent but I would give the derogy the nod I think.

Jon Wilson
28-Sep-2008, 20:59
Thanks Jim. I agree I prefer the derogy to the shorter Voightlander. The allowable size of shot is too small on this site and the photo.net site does allow a better representation....but as always....not a nice as the true photorgraph.

Given I have 2 of the voightlander barrel lens....I need to get the extra one to a new home. Jon