PDA

View Full Version : Seller Forgot to Say "Biogon"

aduncanson
20-Sep-2008, 07:37
http://cgi.ebay.com/Military-Aerial-Reconnaissance-Big-Lens-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ170264093817QQihZ007QQcategoryZ15248QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and will probably miss out on hundreds of dollars as a result.

Dan Fromm
20-Sep-2008, 08:38
Um, er, ah, I have a 3"/4.5 Pacific Optical Biogon sitting in the closet -- all of the doors have perfectly good stops already. Its the biggest Biogon made and it isn't nearly as large as the monstrosity on offer. And Biogon's inner elements (the ones facing the diaphragm) are quite small relative to the outer elements (facing the outside world and the film, respectively). This thing's inner element is relatively huge.

Also, not to be a complete idiot or anything, but what can one do with just the front cell of a huge wide angle lens? I mean, its overkill as a paperweight and too wide to be safe to use as a doorstop.

Bryan Lemasters
20-Sep-2008, 08:55
Also, not to be a complete idiot or anything, but what can one do with just the front cell of a huge wide angle lens?

Bet it has wonderful bokeh! Wonder what it would take to mount this to the front of my Nagaoka? Hmmm...... and I would need a really big Packard shutter, too.........:D

Nathan Potter
20-Sep-2008, 08:59
The condenser lens for a 5X7 projector?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

jnantz
20-Sep-2008, 10:48
the page is blocked ...

Ole Tjugen
20-Sep-2008, 10:55
It looks like the front group of a wide-angle lens, not a front cell. It probably has a negative focal length, so can't even be used as a condenser. ;)

Ash
20-Sep-2008, 11:15
Who currently has a 'big bertha' camera? They may be able to attach this to some other big glass elements? :D

Paul Fitzgerald
20-Sep-2008, 11:31
"Also, not to be a complete idiot or anything, but what can one do with just the front cell of a huge wide angle lens?"

"It looks like the front group of a wide-angle lens, not a front cell. It probably has a negative focal length, so can't even be used as a condenser. "

Mount it behind either 500/4.5 Dogmar and have one hell of a large zoom lens but I'd need to buy a box truck to turn into a camera. They do make film in 44" rolls, yes? :eek:

I just realized I have it backwards, now I'd need to buy a movie theater for stills.

charlie03m
26-Sep-2009, 10:26
Um, er, ah, I have a 3"/4.5 Pacific Optical Biogon sitting in the closet -- all of the doors have perfectly good stops already. Its the biggest Biogon made and it isn't nearly as large as the monstrosity on offer. And Biogon's inner elements (the ones facing the diaphragm) are quite small relative to the outer elements (facing the outside world and the film, respectively). This thing's inner element is relatively huge.

Also, not to be a complete idiot or anything, but what can one do with just the front cell of a huge wide angle lens? I mean, its overkill as a paperweight and too wide to be safe to use as a doorstop.
Dan,
I have been looking for a Pacific Optical Biogon for aerial photography in an Aero Technica, or if it doesn't fit in that, a purpose built aluminum body. Cameras are
very easy to build if you already have the back, and you don't need swings, tilts,
focussing or any of that. :-)
Zeiss Biogons are prohibitively expensive, as you will be aware. If you still have yours, (And it hasn't been too badly damaged stopping doors :-) would you be interested to sell it?
Thanks in advance,
Charlie Falke (1-860-944-2899)

Dan Fromm
28-Sep-2009, 05:58
Tempt me, Charlie, tempt me. Send a PM.

Be aware that these beasts are fixed aperture. Mine is in a KS-87 (would have to look to see whether it is "A" or "B") cone, has an electrically operated scissors type shutter that slips into the side of the lens' barrel.

Practically speaking, the shutter has two possible uses. As a template for making slip-in Waterhouse stops. As a holder for washer type Waterhouse stops.

I've sketched a design for the modifications needed to use the lens with a 4x5 Speed Graphic. The lens is attached to a plate. Attach the plate to a rail with a right angle bracket. Put the camera on a slider on the rail. Devise something to keep the dark in. Lotta effort for a single purpose camera. I keep thinking about 6x12, don't think that using doorstop for that format is worth the effort/expense.

To use it with an Aero Technica or custom-made box you'll have to have a proper leaf shutter mounted between the cells. Not cheap.

Cheers,

Dan