PDA

View Full Version : Arca User Wants 8x10 Option

Larry Menzin
19-Sep-2008, 05:46
Hello All,

I am an Arca user with a 6x9 camera for digital use (Phase One) and a 4x5 format set to shoot 4x5 quickloads. If I'd like to shoot 8x10, then the only Arca solution seems to be an 8x10 format set for over $4000. I don't seem to be able to find much Arca stuff used.

If I want to shoot 8x10, would the best option be finding a used 8x10 camera of another make for about $1500? The nice part about the Arca is the 8x10 is only about 10 lbs, while other cameras (Toyo, etc.) seem to be in the 15 lb to 20 lb range. My application is outdoor landscape so lugging weight is an issue. Any ideas?

Frank Petronio
19-Sep-2008, 06:01
Why not be patient and wait for an older pre-F-line Arca 8x10 to come along? They are light and at least the rail system and lensboards are compatible. I doubt any would sell for much over $1000, at least mine didn't.

Walter Calahan
19-Sep-2008, 06:22
I love my Arca 4x5, but was unwilling to spring for their 8x10 system even though it is extremely well made.

I opted for a use KB Canham 'cause all I need was a field camera style, instead of a mono-rail view camera. Your needs may be different.

Patience is the order if waiting for a used Arca. Most owners don't want to give them up, but the do exist for sale.

For landscapes, I love a wood field camera. SO much lighter. Right now you have many quality options, too. I suggest educating yourself on the used wood field cameras out there.