PDA

View Full Version : Beginner needs camera advice

captainslack
18-Sep-2008, 13:25
I got started in LF recently when I had a Polaroid 110a converted to 4x5. While it's great to be able to give an old camera a new lease on life, I've found I'd like something a little more traditional to supplement it.

I read through some old threads here & checked out the main page, but I'm still not sure which direction to go in. I'd like something with some movements, so I believe that rules out the Crown & Speed Graphics. However, I'm not sure I should look at a field camera like the Tachihara or a view camera such as the Cambo. Money is also an issue (as in I don't have much), so that will be a big factor in which route I decide to go.

Any suggestions.

Ron Marshall
18-Sep-2008, 13:59
I got started in LF recently when I had a Polaroid 110a converted to 4x5. While it's great to be able to give an old camera a new lease on life, I've found I'd like something a little more traditional to supplement it.

I read through some old threads here & checked out the main page, but I'm still not sure which direction to go in. I'd like something with some movements, so I believe that rules out the Crown & Speed Graphics. However, I'm not sure I should look at a field camera like the Tachihara or a view camera such as the Cambo. Money is also an issue (as in I don't have much), so that will be a big factor in which route I decide to go.

Any suggestions.

To give me a better idea of what to suggest, what is your current camera lacking that you are looking for in another camera?

ic-racer
18-Sep-2008, 14:03
I would never tell someone which camera to use, but before you buy a monorail view, make sure you pick up to box that holds it all and understand the logistics of hauling that thing around (if that is what you intend). A field camera would probably be what you will want. An older monorail and an older wooden field camera may be about the same price. Crown & Speed Graphics do have limited movements.

Ash
18-Sep-2008, 14:17
I have a wooden field camera with limited movements. I'm not into the tilt/swing/shift.

I went the reverse of you. I started with a really heavy half-plate camera, never used it so bought a monorail. Never took it outside the house so eventually got a lightweight 5x4 from a kind member here. I bought a Speed Graphic but stripped it down to a lightweight field camera. Then after a short while got a Razzle.

I'm well happy with my Razzle (it's the Pola 900 vs the 110), and I'm looking at getting a Gowlandflex for studio.

I'd say tell us what it is you need, as the above posters say, that the Pola won't give you?

captainslack
18-Sep-2008, 17:16
Mainly I'm looking for movements. The Polaroid doesn't have any. I'm planning on doing a project where I'll be doing a lot of photographing of building & street corners. The Polaroid will probably work for that, but I'd to be able to straighten out the contours if needed for the architectural shots.

John Kasaian
19-Sep-2008, 00:40
Calumet 400 series or Graphic View. Professional, cheap, sturdy monorails with lots room for movements.

lenser
19-Sep-2008, 03:45
I agree on the Calumet 400 series, but the wide angle version if you are mostly doing architecture. The graphic view is a great camera but won't flex much for movements with wide angle lenses. You might look into both field and monrail cameras that accept bag bellows for hat reason. No problem with movements on longer lenses with almost anything.

CG
19-Sep-2008, 09:14
If money is at issue, you can haunt the classifieds here, and on APUG www.apug.org/classifieds/index.php and your local Craigslist. You'll fall across some bargains on suitable equipment before very long. If you find the wide angle Calumet, that would be a good choice, but many other cameras should get you where you want to go.

C

Ron Marshall
19-Sep-2008, 10:32
Have a look here for monorails:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&BC=LF&BCC=7&ID=58&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

See the Sinar Alpina and Plaubel. The Plaubel has a bag bellows and an adaptor board to allow mounting of lenses on smaller Linhof lensboards.

captainslack
19-Sep-2008, 11:13
Thanks everyone! I believe one of the local camera stores has a used Graphic View. I'll have to go look at it a little closer.

Howard Tanger
19-Sep-2008, 14:58
Thanks everyone! I believe one of the local camera stores has a used Graphic View. I'll have to go look at it a little closer.

If you decide on a Graphic View make sure that it is a Graphic View II; it has a bit longer bellows so somewhat more versatile. Howard

Ernest Purdum
19-Sep-2008, 19:07
When looking at the Graphic View, check both front and rear focusing movements very carefully. This is a rather weak portion of these cameras. Be sure the rack doesn't have any bad teeth and both pinions are in good shape.

Peter De Smidt
19-Sep-2008, 21:15
Make sure to check the bellows. Put camera in darkened room. Stick flashlight into camera. Look for light leaks. New bellows can be moderately expensive.

John Kasaian
19-Sep-2008, 22:10
If you haven't already, check out www.graflex.org .

captainslack
20-Sep-2008, 08:36
Thanks again, everybody!

Kuzano
22-Sep-2008, 11:14
The model designation is the CC402, and it looks a bit odd.

Calumet did not use bag bellows. Instead they had the bellows made without stiffeners so it would close up quite tight on short lenses and still have some movement. As a result the bellows look very floppy and worn out, even on the best examples. It's normal.
The front standards are reversed to get the lens closer to the rear standard. They have a shorter monorail.

The wide angle model shows up on eBay frequently and most sellers have no idea what they are selling. You can tell the CC402 by the reversed front standard, short rail, and funky looking bellows. I've had 3 of these and every one of them had excellent bellows regardless of the floppy look.

Because of the bellows appearance they often sell for very low prices. I have purchased them for as little as $100 in extremely usable condition.

Super for architectural, and landscapes.