PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What metering system do you use? (updated)

Lightbender
18-Sep-2008, 11:32
View Poll Results: Poll: What metering system do you use?

BTZS: Beyond The Zone System, fully tested/plotted etc.
Full Zone Sytem, fully tested/plotted, using N+- etc
Partial Zone System
Spot metering multiple points and averaging
single spot meter on subject or "average grey" area
Incident meter
"wide-angle" average meter
using reading from 35mm or digital camera
"sunny 16"
Other

Andreas Leemann
18-Sep-2008, 11:43
I use the Zone system without having fully tested anything. When you carefully meter different grey level in a scene, note your results, expose and develop your negative, print it on your paper of choice, you already know where you are. After doing this the first time, you may have to adjust film speed and developing time. But then you are set and more than some finetuning will not be necessary afterwards

raucousimages
18-Sep-2008, 12:06
I use several of them depending on the film, subject and location. I don't meter a studio portrait on color neg, landscape on B&W neg or a product shot on chrome the same way.

Lightbender
18-Sep-2008, 14:44
now this is getting ugly.. two threads with people posting to both. SORRY! there was no way to edit a poll apparently and it wouldnt let me delete the original =[

robert fallis
19-Sep-2008, 01:34
Sunny 16 ,--- use ortho film, -----watch development, -----pull when cooked

bob

Gordon Moat
19-Sep-2008, 10:45
This survey is more balanced.

Eric Woodbury
19-Sep-2008, 10:57
Expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights.

I use about zone 4 for shadows.

jnantz
19-Sep-2008, 15:56
i usually guess for the most part.
and if i am using my graflex
i only shoot wide open and 1/15thS no matter what
the conditons. i process all my film in caffinolC with a few
ounces of straight ansco130, or i use the same developer, but
used.

if it is for work-stuff i use an incident meter and average
the shadow and light, and i process my film in either sprint film developer
or ansco 130 1:5 ....

The Dread Pirate Robins
19-Sep-2008, 21:11
I am using a combo of my Spotmatic's built-in meter, a Gossen SBC Super Pilot, the Sunny-16 rule (including, sometimes, outright guesses), and a Black Cat Extended Exposure meter/calculator thingy.

Up until this year I only used the built-in meter in the Spotmatic, so all the rest of this is me trying to branch out a little bit.

Rafael Garcia
21-Sep-2008, 11:53
Sunny 16 only used with my meterless Barnack Leicas. Partial Zone or averaging several spots I use with LF and my other cameras that have meter.

Lenny Eiger
21-Sep-2008, 12:12
There's a category missing. Carefully applied zone system, results analyzed by someone knowing what they want in a negative, having done all those careful calculations a very long time ago. If my N-1 times are off a little, from looking at my negs, I adjust the time a little bit. Things change over time... probably from how much coffee I am doing, which affects the agitation in the trays...

So I "carefully" apply my zone system, it isn't partial at all. But I don't bother with bzts or anything else because I know what I want... from experience.

Lenny