PDA

View Full Version : Giving LF another try

Stefan Lungu
16-Sep-2008, 12:31
Hello everybody,
I would like to give LF another try and wanted to ask the obvious question : what camera should I start with ? My first attempt in starting LF was made by buying a Sinar F and slowly getting everything that was needed : two lenses, light meter, holders for roll film and plane film and some sheets of film. But I never found the time to get the Sinar out for a shoot !!! So after half a year since I had everything put together, I decided that it is not for me. So I sold everything besides the light meter. Then again, I liked the slides and negatives that my RB setup made, so I got myself a little 6x9 folder. So I started to shoot film again and fell in love with it ( again ). So here I am, thinking about starting a new attempt to LF. I would like to keep cost down for a start, and think it would be best to try and start with a field/press camera.I was thinking about the obvious crown/speed graphic, but my attention was drawn by some alternatives: MPP, Busch Pressman or B&J. My problem is almost all are american cameras, the only made in Europe is the MPP ( besides the Linhof ), and the others are scarce on this side of the Atlantic. Now : I would like a nice light camera, with as much front shift as possible under the circumstances that ca also be shot hand held. Which would fit the bill best ?

Thanks for your advices
Stefan

Jiri Vasina
16-Sep-2008, 12:55
If you did not find time to go out with your LF camera earlier, chances are very high, you won't find it now, no matter what camera (yes, it might be just a bit easier with some cameras, just a bit more difficult with others, but of most, it depends on you).

So if you feel now that you are more willing to go out with all the gear, spend all the time slowly preparing and making your exposures, then go for it (and the gear can be comparable to your RB kit).

I have MPP MicroTechnical Mk.VII 4x5, my brother has Crown Graphic 4x5 camera - both of them are relatively cheap, both have slightly limited movements (but nothing that would bother you too much in the first few years), both can be used handheld if you try. The MPP is sturdy, solid, yet relatively lightweight. I'd recommend it. If you choose one, do get either Mk.VII or Mk.VIII models, the previous did not have international backs, had a slightly different plane of registration of film.

The Crown (or Speed) Graphic is not much more expensive than MPP, even considering shipment over the ocean. And would be lighter than the MPP (MPP is metal, the Graphics are wood in leather if my memory is correct).

ic-racer
16-Sep-2008, 15:19
A used wooden 4x5 field camera should be affordable. A small field camera will be a lot easier to 'take out and use' compared to a monorail.

venchka
16-Sep-2008, 15:38
You didn't mention your budget. Always an important factor.

ffordes in Scotland has quite a few large format cameras and lenses.

https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm

Good luck!

John Kasaian
16-Sep-2008, 17:26
If you want to shoot handheld, the use of movements is a non-issue. A Linhof will give you handholdable capabilities as well as a load of movements when you want to use a tripod. Other cameras to look for would be a Super Speed Graphic---lightwieght aluminum and enough movements for landscapes---or a top rangefinder Crown Graphic Special (really cool for handheld work IMHO) Get grafmatics to speed things up.

Peter De Smidt
16-Sep-2008, 19:32
I recently bought a crown graphic. It's fun. If you want to do the type of work that a Crown excels at, I prefer shooting hand held using the rangefinder, it'd be a great choice. If you want to do lots of architecture, or anything that needs extensive movements, get a used field camera, or a Shen Hao, Chamonix....

Stefan Lungu
17-Sep-2008, 02:13
Thank you for the nice answers. My main interest is shooting in the city, I'm some kind of a city guy and always fascinated by what man can build, so architecture is one thing, life in the city is another. This is why I was asking for most movements is a light package ( walking trough town with a lot on your back can also be a problem ). This time, I would like to stay at around 300EUR with the starter package, and that is why a new Shen or Chamonix are out of the run. One thing I noticed was that some of the press cameras seem to have back movemets, and that would help for the times I do shoot from a tripod.
Regards, Stefan

aduncanson
17-Sep-2008, 08:48
I own a 4x5 Busch Pressman which gets used because it is so much better at traveling, even if by auto, than my monorail cameras. That said, I wish I had a field camera with rear swings and tilts, plus a graflok back to make using roll film holders easier. My Busch even has no range finder, but that is fine by me as I have no interest in hand held LF photography. My other problems with the Bush are the lack of front swings and the fiddlyness of the front tilt. The lock on the tilt is tricky unless the tilt is set to zero.