PDA

View Full Version : Philippines trip in October

roteague
15-Sep-2008, 21:38
In a little over 3 weeks time I will be leaving for a 12 day trip to the Philippines. This will not be a photography trip, so I won't be travelling around the country. Except for one night in Manila, I will be in Iloilo City, and perhaps the surrounding area.

This is also impacting my choice of equipment. I won't be taking any LF gear with me, but will be working with 35mm only. I'm torn between taking my Nikon F6 or my Nikon F5 - I prefer the F6 but am afraid of the possibilities of theft. I will also be taking a Nikon D200 to post images to my blog (my hotel has internet). Film choices are: Fuji Velvia 100, Fuji Provia 400X and Ilford XP-2. I was also given a couple of rolls of Kodak TechPan (which I have no experience with), that I will take as well.

Since I have never visited the Philippines before I am looking for any insights anyone may be willing to pass along. Sorry, this isn't a "LF" related request, but I haven't found anyone else who can pass along their experiences or advice about this trip.

Thanks,

ari velazco
23-Sep-2008, 05:30
Hi Robert, like most cities, there are only minor parts of the city which you should take extra care of your gear..Generally, if you are in the Makati area, you would be fine walking around with your camera... you even have a better chance than us locals walking around taking pictures since the security guards do not pay attention to 'foreigners' taking pictures in malls or any public places :)

The only major thefts happening here regarding photography gear is when you leave your gear inside untinted cars.. i guess that is also the case in most cities around the world.

Let me know if i could be of any help when you are here.

Ari

roteague
23-Sep-2008, 14:22
Hi Robert, like most cities, there are only minor parts of the city which you should take extra care of your gear..Generally, if you are in the Makati area, you would be fine walking around with your camera... you even have a better chance than us locals walking around taking pictures since the security guards do not pay attention to 'foreigners' taking pictures in malls or any public places :)

The only major thefts happening here regarding photography gear is when you leave your gear inside untinted cars.. i guess that is also the case in most cities around the world.

Let me know if i could be of any help when you are here.

Ari

Thanks Ari, that really sets my mind at ease. I'm looking forward to the trip, and to seeing new things and new people. I'll PM you later in the day with more details.

Robert