PDA

View Full Version : Desert hikes - color film : keeping cool

gevalia
15-Sep-2008, 09:13
Okay guys,

So...all you desert hikers out there, how do you keep your color LF film cool on long hikes? I'll be hiking a few places our around Escalante UT in mid-October. It get up to 100 during the day. I'll be doing a few overnights (just 1 night at a time) in some of the canyons and I'm wondering how you guys keep your film from fogging. Most of my shooting will be B&W (4x5 sheet) but I will be taking some color quickloads along.

Ash
15-Sep-2008, 09:15
I think a lot of people use coolers.

You could use the soft bag type, or the hard plastic type depending on the trip. Size varies with contents.

eric black
15-Sep-2008, 09:16
while Im sure that keeping film cool is the optimum way to operate, I have done several day trips into the desert and have managed to keep color transparency film viable just storing it in my pack and making sure that it doesnt get exposed to temps any hotter than the ambient outside temps. I then develop everything as soon as possible when returning home. Film is quite a bit more robust than people give it credit for. I havent had any problems in up to 105 F for several days.

gevalia
15-Sep-2008, 09:19
Thanks Eric. Looks like I have 30 lbs in the backpack already and I'd hate to lug around much more out there. It was a little hot last year.

George Stewart
15-Sep-2008, 09:51
Since I do most of my travel via air, I carry soft coolers in my luggage. I keep the film in them as much as possible except when I'm shooting or hiking. Last summer (June) I spent time in southern Utah, without any film problems.

gevalia
15-Sep-2008, 10:16
George,

But were they short day hikes or extended multi-day hikes where there could be a few days where 8 hours are at 100 and above?

That is the frame of reference.

Terence McDonagh
15-Sep-2008, 10:24
While backpacking, I just put whatever film I'm not using that day in my pack, wrapped inside the sweatshirt I use at night when the temp drops. I've spent five days in 100+ daytime temps with no problems whatsoever. I wish I could say the same about myself . . .

D. Bryant
15-Sep-2008, 10:42
George,

But were they short day hikes or extended multi-day hikes where there could be a few days where 8 hours are at 100 and above?

That is the frame of reference.
For short multi-day hikes just keep the film and film holders out of the direct sun. You shouldn't have any problems with film spoilage.

I've done the same here in the SE US and places like Death Valley.

The idea of lugging a cooler about just isn't practical nor needed in my experience.

Don Bryant

Gene McCluney
15-Sep-2008, 11:49
If modern films were overly sensitive to heat, they couldn't be shipped from the manufacturers to the retailers to the end user, and still be good. It is "long-term" storage of films that one needs to be concerned about heat and humidity.

Frank Petronio
15-Sep-2008, 11:55
I just processed some C41 from 1995 that looks fine. I think high humidity and 150 degrees might start to mess with it, but as long as you keep away from your camp stove you can't hurt it.

Adam Kavalunas
15-Sep-2008, 12:11
Pretty much all I do is desert hikes and I've never even tried to keep film cold, be it at home or in the field. I've never had any problems either. By the way, you won't be experiencing any 100 degree days in Escalante in mid October. In fact, if you get above the mid 80's, you'll be breaking records!

Adam

Brian Vuillemenot
15-Sep-2008, 12:26
If the film warms up for a few days, it doesn't matter. I did a two week trip through Arizona, Joshua Tree, and Death Valley in August a few years ago (definately NOT the time to go, by the way). Although the temps were well into the triple digits every day, I kept my film in the trunk most of the time with no protection against the heat. There were absolutly no effects to the film.

Stephen Willard
15-Sep-2008, 20:18
Covering your pack with a silver rain cover will help keep your entire pack cooler. I have one for mine that I bought years ago. The interior of my pack was about 10 to 15 degrees cooler then the ambient air. The aluminum plastic foil that readyloads are stored in also will reflect any radiant heat and further keeping your film cooler.

George Stewart
15-Sep-2008, 20:51
My desert hikes have all been just day hikes, but all were in summer, with temps as high as 117 F in the shade (Death Valley). I took about a five hour hike, with 8x10, up to delicate arch and return and had no problems.

My longest summer/desert hike was about six hours (holy crap) to see and photograph the Great Gallery, which is five miles down the already remote Horseshoe Canyon. Supposedly, school children do this as a field trip when the weather is cool. But, when its hot, it's really hot. I used about 6 liters of water on this hike. They say a gallon of water per person per day, for desert travel. I don't think that's enough.

Anyway, even before, during, and after these hikes, I've had film in a hot vehicle. My longest summer/desert trip was two weeks, with who knows how many hours some of my film was baking away in the vehicle with no problems.

In the hay days of film based astrophotography, they used to bake film to hyper sensitize it, with little to no effect.

roteague
15-Sep-2008, 21:41
Okay guys,

So...all you desert hikers out there, how do you keep your color LF film cool on long hikes? I'll be hiking a few places our around Escalante UT in mid-October. It get up to 100 during the day. I'll be doing a few overnights (just 1 night at a time) in some of the canyons and I'm wondering how you guys keep your film from fogging. Most of my shooting will be B&W (4x5 sheet) but I will be taking some color quickloads along.

I've done a fair bit of photography in the Australian desert, and never bothered to worry about keeping any of my film cool - and I shoot strictly Velvia. My last trip there was camping for a little over a week - no problems at all.

Jim Becia
16-Sep-2008, 04:57
I have been out in the Escalante area for the past 7 years in October and have never seen 100 degree temps, maybe the 80's and even that is high. I'll be doing a 4 or 5 day trip through Coyote Gulch this October 12th or 13th and the film will just get put in the pack with everything else. I'm not too concerned with the heat on my film at that time of year, I'll be more concerned with the weight of my pack on my back! Mid October is just a perfect time for this area. You can't go wrong in the Escalante area. Enjoy it. Jim

gevalia
16-Sep-2008, 10:51
Jim,

I may just see you in Coyote Gulch. I'll be there about that time as well.

Clay Turtle
22-Sep-2008, 18:49
Ya, just get a soft sided thermal (cooler), I normally carry my film holders in one to begin with & being soft sided, you can pack it in your back pack or usually having a strap, you can carry it with the camera when you are doing some shooting. wrapping from pack with a thermal blanket (plastic/foil sheet) sounds like an excellent idea as well . . also called an emergency blanket that folds into a small square carried on your person but can be used when separated from your equipment.
PS: Also good for temporary shade if you get those that have one-side foil (shiny) and one side that is coated with thermal plastic insulator.

don12x20
22-Sep-2008, 18:53
I've many rafting trips down the Green, San Juan and Colorado with 8x10 Velvia sheet film with temperatures as high as 110. Kept the film in foam lined ammo boxes painted white (holders and film boxes). While I didn't put them out in the sun to bake at extra high temperatures, they were at ambient 110 during some days, lower other days. Saw no issues with the film. Other holders were in the backpack without any protection. no problems.

Jay Wolfe
22-Sep-2008, 19:03
I wouldn't obsess about it. You're now in the cool season. If you want to keep film cool day-to-day, get a 12V powered cooler and keep film in it in you car (just don't drain your battery). For a day's work, you won't notice the difference in color response for the film.

mrladewig
23-Sep-2008, 15:24
I take trips into the desert as often as I can this time of year and in the spring. And I have to agree with the others. Its unlikely you'll have temps above 85 at that time of year. Some places like Bryce could be down-right cold.

While hiking its no problem to keep the film in your pack. I've never had issues with that.

In the car, I keep my film in a big box (the box for a Calumet C-400) and I don't let that sit in direct sunlight. Its been good enough for me so far. A cooler is a good choice too. But I also don't choose to go when its scorching hot.

Drew Wiley
25-Sep-2008, 14:38
Easy - I wrap both my filmholders and camera inside my goose down jacket, then put
the whole works into my backpack. Keeps me warm in the evening when high desert canyons can be bitter cold (I often travel in Nov), and works better than a thermos bottle for keeping things cool. I can carry a can of soda all day long inside goose down and it will remain cold, even in desert temps above 100. Cushions things great
too!

raucousimages
30-Sep-2008, 20:22
Don't wory about it. I worked for a pro end camera store and we kept film in a cooler but when it came off the trucks in the summer it was hot. A few days in a backpack is nothing compared to 3 to 4 days in a truck at 150f.