PDA

View Full Version : Zone VI and 15 inch Tele Optar..Experience and opinion?

Drew Bedo
14-Sep-2008, 14:43
am currently using an early Zone VI (Wista Mfg) in 4x5 with about 12'' max bellows draw. My current focal lengths are: 90mm, 150mm and 210mm. I am interested in a Wollensak 15 inch Tele-Optar (380mm). I am aware of the issues of weight and coverage. So then; What else mis there to be considered?

Skorzen
14-Sep-2008, 15:55
I can tell you that I have used one on a Shen Hao 4X5. There seems to be some disagreement on the coverage of this lens, some people say it covers 5X7 some that it barely covers 4X5, my experience makes me feel more like 5X7. I can focus down t about 9 feet with the Shen Hao.

Drew Bedo
14-Sep-2008, 20:06
Thanks Skiorzen...SD then, nine feet: How much bellows extension does it take to get to nione feet? How is compensation for bellows extension handled for a lense of this type?

John Kasaian
14-Sep-2008, 21:29
I have a wolly 15" tele on a 5x7 aerial camera and it covers the format, but the thought of using it on view camera while attempting to take advantage of movements gives me a headache! :eek:

Skorzen
15-Sep-2008, 04:20
I couldn't remember just how much extension the Shen Hao had so that's why I left that out :-). Anyway Nine feet was with maximum extension without doing weird things to the front standard (I front tilt and rise to get a couple more inches, lens is too heavy for that IMHO) so about 12 in.

jnantz
15-Sep-2008, 04:37
i've been using one in a barrel with a speed graphic for years.
if you use filters, it might be something to think about ...
the diameter of the front is quite large.

Bill_1856
15-Sep-2008, 12:25
You might find additional information in the post on this same subject done less than an hour before you posted.

Lightbender
15-Sep-2008, 12:28
Be aware however that the 15" f5.6 tele-optar/tele-raptar is a big, heavy, chunk of glass. Shutter speeds are limited to 1/50th due to the large press shutter.

I have no experience with a wista, but you may need extra support for the front standard.

Joseph O'Neil
16-Sep-2008, 14:17
I have one of those lenses, and I have a Zone VI, but mine is a later version, the one made in Vermont. On my Zone VI, no problem. However, that lens is too large & heavy for my Tachihara.

I do not know how big or heavy (or light) your Zone VI, but if it is "Tachiara sized", not a good idea. If it is heavier, like mine, will work fine

hope that helps.
:)

venchka
16-Sep-2008, 15:41
Joseph,

Thanks for the information regarding my camera (Vermont Zone VI) and the 15" Tele-Optar should I ever want a longer lens.

Cheers!

Lightbender
16-Sep-2008, 17:16
If you have a Vermont model Zone VI, I would highly recommend a 360mm Artar or Ronar.
They are lighter, come in better shutters, and are better for movements.

venchka
18-Sep-2008, 12:30
Thanks! Noted.

Drew Bedo
19-Sep-2008, 06:33
Hello Wayne,

Hope you kept your head above water during the blow!

Seriously: Are you well...do you need anything?

venchka
19-Sep-2008, 06:38
Hi Drew,

Thanks for asking. I am fine. I have an apartment and work in NW Houston. My home is north of Tyler. I left Houston at noon on Thursday. The drive was fine. Not at all like the Rita disaster. We missed the storm at home. My apartment and office here are fine as well.

The only thing I need is more time with my cameras and a whole lot more skill and talent. Can I "win" those things on ebay? ;)

But seriously, I do appreciate your concern. Thanks again.

How are things in your part of town? Have you heard if Camera Co-op is ok? I would hate to loose them.

Drew Bedo
19-Sep-2008, 13:48
Hey Wayne,

Your signature line about the "East-Texas Rain Forest" threw me off. We are in the Richmond area (deeeep South-West Houston Metroplex) and had very little damage in our neighborhood. I am legally blind and havn't gotten out and about in Houston yet...maybe next week. I'll check on the Co-op when I can and report.

Everyone else: sorry, didn't mean to hijack my own thread!

venchka
22-Sep-2008, 05:36
Drew,

I'm glad Richmond was spared. I hope to get down there one of these days with my big cameras.

End of hijacking.