PDA

View Full Version : DIY tools for lensboards, general wood working

gflanslo
11-Sep-2008, 15:39
I'm looking into some DIY photo projects and need to invest in some wood working tools. Right now I'm going to be making some lens boards (wood) and housing for a packard shutter. Recommendations of what tools everyone is using would be great. I don't have a large space to store or work with the tools so I need to keep that in mind.

BarryS
11-Sep-2008, 15:46
I was pretty much in the same boat and I started off with a Ryobi 10" table saw. It's pretty good for $100, but I did upgrade to a high quality Diablo 80T blade based on recommendations from woodworkers on APUG. So for $150 I was off and running and have been making my own lensboards and cutting down wood for other projects.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100058430&N=10000003+10401007

Tintype Bob
11-Sep-2008, 15:59
When I started to make lens boards I just used some 1/8" thick board i got from Lowes ( they sell it in small sheets like 2'X2' ) then I used a T square and a razor nife to cut the board. Later I used a cordless drill and hole saw blades to cut the openning for the lens.

This worked very well for me but then i now use a table saw so I can cut many blanks at one time.

vinny
11-Sep-2008, 16:22
Table saw. Adjustable drill bit from Irwin. Will do copal 0 and 1 sized holes. Router. The router makes very smooth light baffles on lens boards and cuts the recessed areas around the hole in the board for copal 3 shutters or in boards that are too thick.

Lightbender
11-Sep-2008, 18:05
theres lots of options availible.
One of each from 3 catagories

You need something to cut the board.
Table saw
Mitre saw
Hand saw
utility knife and straight edge (for 1/8" plywood)

You need something to cut the hole
Drill
drill-press
rotary tool

You need something to trim
sand-paper
palm sander
round-file
sanding block
rotary tool

OK, construction of the lensboard can be one of 3 types:

(to be continued)

lungovw
11-Sep-2008, 18:07
The router is the essential for me. That is what really gives a professional look. It is the best tool if you are to make sliding lens boards for old wood cameras. It allows also making holes in any size and joining wood boards one transversal to the other. WL

gflanslo
11-Sep-2008, 18:20
thanks for all the input....keep all the suggestions coming. Would you say the rotary tool and table saw would be a good way to start off. I don't have that much money to sink into this but really want to start.

Scott --
11-Sep-2008, 18:23
Have you used these tools before? If not, a basic woodworking course through a local school would be in order. These power tools are easy to form bad habits on, and are pretty unforgiving...

Ralph Barker
11-Sep-2008, 18:49
Most of the basic woodworking ancillary to LF can easily be done with relatively inexpensive hand tools. A good hand saw, a good square, a good marking knife, and a couple of files will handle much of what you need to do.

That said, a good table saw, a drill press, and a router (ideally mounted in a router table, so it's more like a shaper) certainly come in handy. Having a good workbench to which things can be clamped securely is also a big advantage. The Black & Decker WorkMates would be good to consider in that respect in your space-limited situation.

For some operations, great precision isn't really required. Lens holes, for example, don't need to be perfect. Joints on shutter housings and such, however, require greater precision. That's where good tools and good technique will come into account. A cheap table saw, for example, might have enough play in the blade assembly that precisely square cuts may be impossible on a consistent basis. Most power tools, like table saws, also need to be "tuned" (adjusted) prior to serious use.

One should, of course, be aware of the fact that most power tools, table saws and routers in particular, are very unforgiving. It's quite easy to loose essential body parts in less than a blink of the eye if one doesn't pay attention and follow safety guidelines. That's mostly common sense, but still requires focus.

Dan Schmidt
11-Sep-2008, 19:01
http://www.harborfreight.com/

decent tools, not the best, but reasonable prices, great for less used tools

The Dread Pirate Robins
11-Sep-2008, 21:19
For a table saw you may be able to pick up a portable on your local craigslist if you have one. I have a little one that is great for small projects, and I have a big Craftsman 10 inch that weights about 400 lbs (no, really, it weighs about 400 lbs) and is very accurate but I had a board kick back once and I had a nice linear bruise across my abdomen for about a week.

John Kasaian
11-Sep-2008, 22:16
FWIW Dremel has a nifty router attachment for Moto tools. I think for such a small order as routing light baffles on lens boards it would be a workable option. If you are planning on making your boards out of baltic birch plywood you might be able to have the boards cut to measure for you if you buy the wood from a woodworker's supply house. That would save you from the initial investment in a table or band saw. If you are working on small stock you could even make your cuts using a power mitre saw in the "O" position if your lensboard aren't much larger than 5" on the side. Cut oversize strips of material with an ordinary electric saw and finishing cuts with the mitre saw (you can also use your mitre saw for picture frames) Never ever scrimp on saw blades---get the ones that will do the job correctly for the material you'll be cutting. A drill press is nice but lately I've fallen for an old timey crank operated hand drill---slow for me is more precise. The new ones are cr@ppy---go shop at swap meets for a decent old one---Of course if you wanted to make original designed 3-piece lensboards you'd want more appropriate tools.

Most of my power wood working tools are floor models which are in storage, so in order to do any wood workng it is quite a chore (= no fun) to get them out. In retrospect I wish I had bench top models for small projects such as you are contemplating.

Good luck!

gflanslo
11-Sep-2008, 22:39
Wow! thanks everyone for your input so far. I'll be doing my homework in the next couple weeks and let everyone know what I get. Keep the suggestions coming, the more opinions and recommendations the better.

I've thought about having some of my lensboards made by someone who has the tools and skill but I would rather learn the basics myself so I can expand my projects in the future. I love the idea that these old cameras can be restored and worked by our own hands....something I can't really imagine doing with my canon 10D.

Bruce Barlow
12-Sep-2008, 03:56
My best woodworking tool for camera stuff is Richard Ritter. He's great, and we always go out for a late breakfast at the Dam Diner.

That said, I make furniture from time-to-time, and when I took a furniture workshop, we spent 70% of the time talking safety with big, mean (and small, meaner) tools.

DIY photography projects are wonderful as long as when you're done you still have enough fingers to click a shutter. Please be careful!!

Ash
12-Sep-2008, 04:21
I use anything I can find... and the results show that!

As far as I can recommend, a good work surface and space are two of the most important things.

Remember, a spare set of drill bits is a lifesaver.

tpersin
12-Sep-2008, 04:56
if you're not working with (overly) heavy lenses you can also make passable lens boards from black mat board and/or foam core. Then all you'd need is a sharp x-acto knife, a cutting mat, straight edge, and some glue. if heavier you could always use thinner ply (1/8") and glue 2 sheets together (to make the light baffle) these are easily cut with a utility knife (both the hole and size). These aren't fancy but are perfectly usable and may fit very well within the confines of both your budget and space.

I've also used the dark slide from junk film holders to use as part of a lens board. Works very well. Superlight and, as you can imagine, highly opaque (w/ no painting!)

re: painting, instead of flat black paint you might want to try japanese calligraphy ink (from any decent art supply shop) You only need one coat, it's non-reflective, and immediately opaque.

good luck!

robert fallis
12-Sep-2008, 06:31
I think I would opt for a band saw rather than a table saw,( I,m a bit baised I lost the tip of my left thumb to one,) also a thicknesser is very usefull.

bob

Ron McElroy
12-Sep-2008, 07:07
For something simple like wooden lens boards I use 1/8 aircraft plywood and cut it with a utility knife, cut the hole for the lens with a holesaw and glue up another piece to create the light baffel on the back. I find for me it easier than dragging out the heavy powertools for a small project.

Ron Marshall
12-Sep-2008, 07:29
Lee Valley has lots for the woodworker:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/index.aspx?c=2