PDA

View Full Version : Colenta 30 AT Processor

mbuonocore
11-Sep-2008, 13:29
Hello all,

What are the chances of anyone having knowledge about a Colenta 30 AT processor? From what I gather, it was manufactured in 1975 - making it one year my senior!

The fellow before me used it for processing cibachromes, and I take it he was the original owner. Seems to be in working condition, with all the parts intact - except for the manual!

It's a rotary model, and I've got a few orange "spindles" (for lack of a better word) for it. I've never used any equipment like this before, and need guidance with regards to running / maintaining it properly.

I'm hoping to process film in it - 4x5 and 8x10 B&W, and B&W reversal. If possible, I would also love to do large runs of 120 every now and again, but have no idea if this machine is capable of doing so.

If anyone has some insight into these matters, I'd very much appreciate it!

Thanks,

Marco Buonocore

Don Dudenbostel
12-Sep-2008, 05:30
I can't remember the model number of the colenta machines I had. I had one large floor model that would run about 24 or 30 4x5's at a time and prints to 20x24. My small one fit in a sink and would run 12 or 18 4x5's or 5 120 or 4 35's if I remember correctly. I owned them in the 80's and 90's but can't remember the specifics. Both used timers to run the process and were set with thumb wheels on a control panel. There are reservoirs for chemicals that have rubber plungers in the bottom activated by the timers. The plungers leak chemicals if they aren't perfectly aligned. The plastic in the paddles for sheets become very brittle over time and have to be replaced about every year or so. It required sending the paddle to colenta for repairs.

The machine was very consistent and if adjusted properly was a dream. Oh yes, I forgot there is a water jacket around the machine to keep temp for E6 and C41. I would imagine parts are impossible to find now but if you can get some life out of it then it's a great machine.

I also had a Merz S2a that was similar but much more simple. I used it for thirty years and had bought it used for $500. I would run 24 4x5's, 12 8x10's, 10 120 or 35's or any combination. It was as tough as an army tank and never gave any problems.

W K Longcor
12-Sep-2008, 11:51
The Colenta processors are great units. I had two of them at one time - both purchased used. One was a manual unit -- you had to be there and pull the stoppers on the chemical tanks at the correct time. The other was the auto unit -- super! I believe that 5 was the max. # of 120 rolls at a time. But the see-saw rotational processing gave a superior job compared to anything on reels (imho). If my memory is correct --3 was the max. on 8x10s at a time and with multiple paddle reels, it was around 10 4x5 (memory not too good there.). It did a super job -- until the water bath drain seal developed a problem. With no water, a bad temp cut-off switch --- well lets just say that the tank became a free form piece of warped "art". There were large capacity 8x10 paddle reels that would hold many more sheet -- be careful -- they were NOT ment for the model 30 -- added load dipping into higher volume of chemical solution would overload the motor.
P.S. don't go crazy looking for official MANUALS for these machines -- there was NEVER much documentation and what there was was not worth the paper it was printed on!