PDA

View Full Version : What else is needed for 8x10?

Joseph O'Neil
11-Sep-2008, 05:20
Okay, so other than having my head examined...let's get that out of the way first. :D

I've been shooting 4x5 for ten + years now, and have my darkroom all setup. My "plan" is to use 8x10 for contact printing, so I am not worried about an 8x10 enlarger.
I've got a a camera coming - although it needs a 8x10 back still. I suppose that's important. :). Lenses I am good on, right now my G-clarons will cover 8x10 just fine. I have a couple of good tripods that will hold an 8x10 no problem.

I have one single 8x10 film holder , lots of 8x10 trays, lots of chemistry. But I am just thinking, what else am I missing.
ideas?

thanks
joe

Erik Larsen
11-Sep-2008, 05:39
Joe you look set as soon as you get your back. Maybe a larger dark cloth if you don't have one and probably you'll want some more holders and some larger trays to develop in for ease and to lessen surge marks. A contacting printing frame or piece of heavy glass for prints and you look good to go. Have fun with it.
regards
Erik

keeds
11-Sep-2008, 05:48
A strong back?

Jim Fitzgerald
11-Sep-2008, 06:17
Azo/Lodima Fine Art paper and Amidol. Check out Michael and Paula's Azo website for DBI instructions with Pyro and have fun. Contact printing in light you can see in is great. Have fun!

Jim

Daniel Grenier
11-Sep-2008, 06:42
What! You bought a camera with NO back ??? You really need to concentrate on that tid bit first cause depending on the back, it may be a hard thing to find. You will also want to run some basic tests for light leaks once you do get a back. Otherwise, it's like shooting 4x5 but better.

Drew Bedo
11-Sep-2008, 06:43
Hello Joseph,

I use a jogging storler to drag it all around in. Have fun.

raucousimages
11-Sep-2008, 07:32
You might neeed a larger tripod and/or head depending on what you have now.

John Kasaian
11-Sep-2008, 07:40
You'll need larger dark cloth than what you'd typically se on a 4x5. You'll also probably want some more film holders as well.

Perhaps some medication to prevent vertigo? Looking at the big bright gg might make you anxious about "falling in!" :D

8x10 rocks! Enjoy the adventure :)

aduncanson
11-Sep-2008, 08:34
Light meter, focusing magnifier, filters, cable release and maybe something I call composing glasses.

With my advancing age I found I could not focus on my 5x7 ground glass at a distance convenient for evaluating a composition overall. My bifocals would work but I get tired of straining my neck backwards to peer through the lower half of my glasses at a ground glass that is level with my head. So I took a 5x7 photo into a drug store and evaluated several sets of reading glasses to find the strength necessary to allow me to see the entire image and very little more. This turned out to be a bit stronger than what I would usually buy for computer work. Now, a couple of years later, my 5x7 composing glasses are about right for me to use with 8x10.

Ralph Barker
11-Sep-2008, 08:54
I went through the same process a few years back, and found that most of the differences with 8x10 fell into the practical/logistics category. That is, size, weight, and the associated issues. My large-ish LowePro backpack was big enough for the camera, but no longer had room for as many accessories, for example. I use a convention give-away nylon briefcase for additional holders, for example. I've only left it at the previous photo site once.

I, too, started with the contact-print only commitment, but that has been tough. I lust after an 8x10 enlarger, but (fortunately) don't have enough room in the darkroom to accommodate one. I use Bob Carnie at Elevator to do enlargements from 8x10 when I want them, since he (thankfully) still has an 8x10 enlarger.

Walter Calahan
11-Sep-2008, 12:30
An 20x24 camera, as well. Grin

Get more film holders. Get a mule to schlep it all.

Jim Graves
11-Sep-2008, 12:34
May need a larger changing bag also.

ic-racer
11-Sep-2008, 12:42
I went from 4x5 to 8x10 about a year ago.

*Plastic sheets for 8x10 negative storage.
*Bigger trays for tray processing (at least the developer). I always got overdevelopment on the edges when using an 8x10 tray for 8x10 film development.
*Film!
*Zip lock bag for the film holder. I didn't use individual bags for my 4x5 holders and things were fine, but when I went to 8x10, it seemed like the dust was getting from the outside of the holder to the film when I pulled the darkslide. Have not had any dust since using individual bags (holders are vacuumed before putting in to the bag).

John Bowen
11-Sep-2008, 12:51
Ummmmm,

Let me see what else could you possible need??? How about some FILM for that beast. :-) Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I second the recommendation for Azo/Lodima and Amidol. Check out the Azo Forum and Michael Smith's writings @ michaelandpaula.com There is lots of info on Film, Developers, Development by Inspection, Thomas Safelights (yeah, you'll want one of those if you decide to use Azo/Lodima) they are like printing outside at mid-afternoon. You will also want to consider a contact printing frame or a vacuum easel to hold the negative and paper. Be sure to get a frame that is slightly larger than 8x10. You'll want room to get your fingers around the print/negative sandwich.

Have Fun!

Hector.Navarro
11-Sep-2008, 13:07
a dozen film hangers & a deep tank will help you if you are into semi-stand development...

montynglen
12-Sep-2008, 18:46
Joe,
You are going to have fun!! Hope you have a strong back!! I took my 11x14 to 10500ft
and found my breath was a little short, 8x10 isn't that much smaller. I would look at two things that have not been mentioned. BZTS tubes (you can make your own out of black PVC pipe) for developing. (They are great) and the possibility of printing with your computer. You would need a good scanner (if you have a reasonably good computer and printer) and you are in business. I have been scanning 4x5 negs and printing (Black & White)
with very good results.
Have Fun,
Monty

John Kasaian
13-Sep-2008, 21:05
I prefer souping 8x10 film in a Unicolor processor. That way you can enjoy a good Canadian beer in the light instead of having to keep your hands in the tray while in darkness ;)

Joseph O'Neil
15-Sep-2008, 05:35
I prefer souping 8x10 film in a Unicolor processor. That way you can enjoy a good Canadian beer in the light instead of having to keep your hands in the tray while in darkness ;)

What size drum do you use? a few years ago I cleaned out an old darkroom, and i have about 15 drums of various sizes, styles and shapes on hand. Right now, I use a jobo 2551 drum and I ahve two unicolour motorized roller bases, so I am interested in your setup - chemistry, times, etc, etc - if you want to share it. :)

to Monty

-ah, er, well maybe not right away. :) I took my 4x5 to Independence Pass one year, and at 12,000 feet (or there abouts) I was real short of breath just hauling a tripod and camera almost did me in. 8x10 or 11x14 at this height - maybe if I have a few tanks of oxygen to drap along....

:)

Salty
15-Sep-2008, 05:46
What size drum do you use? a few years ago I cleaned out an old darkroom, and i have about 15 drums of various sizes, styles and shapes on hand. Right now, I use a jobo 2551 drum and I ahve two unicolour motorized roller bases, so I am interested in your setup - chemistry, times, etc, etc - if you want to share it.

When I develop 8x10 film in drums, I use a Beseler 8x10 drum. It holds just a bit under 350ml of liquid. I use various developers and just subtract 15% off the development time to compensate for the continous agitation. The 8x10 Beseler drum also holds 4 - 4x5 negatives (as long as the drum still has the center strip). It's really come in handy since I've been doing color film in C 41.

John Kasaian
15-Sep-2008, 06:23

Joseph, the 11x 14 print drum will take two sheets of 8x10 film, It's a tight fit but can be done. Tim Atherton told me and at first I didn't believe him but he is correct. One sheet will fit an 8x10 print drum nicely and there is room to spare with one sheet in an 11x14.
Besides the beer thing, one advantage is that you'll use a lot less chemistry ;)