PDA

View Full Version : Info on LINHOF KARDON COLOR"REGAL 8X10""Quality"

Jonathan Brewer
4-May-2001, 22:41
I continue waiting for a Toyo 810MII @ the righte price. Recently I've seen a pi cture of a KARDON COLOR "REGAL 8X10" "QUALITY", if I've gotten the name right. It really looks put together. It's possible that I'm being fooled by the perspec tive, but it doesn't look that big. Is it a big camera for a monorail?

Can anybody fill me in on its weight? click stop or zero detents? mazimum ex tension? reversable back? Was this a trouble free camera when bought as a new c amera, and assuming it has been reasonably cared for, is it a deal as a used cam era with the expectation of low upkeep?

Stefan Geysen
5-May-2001, 03:21
The Linhof Praxis book (1958) gives the following data on the Kardan Color 8x10: weight 13 kilograms, maximum extension 555mm, minimum extension 50mm, rise 80mm, fall 40mm (both standards); shift: 43mm L/R on front standard and 51mm L/R on the rear standard. Tilt and swing on both standards is limited by the bellows only. Dimensions: they give the following dimensions for the case: 750 x 200 x 500mm (29.5 x 7.9 x 19.7")

This camera is a fine example of German (over-)engineering. Keep in mind that modern Linhof accessories like bellows, lensboards and backs won't fit.

neil poulsen
5-May-2001, 13:42
Mmmm. 13 Killograms. That's 28lbs 11 ounces.

Stefan Geysen
5-May-2001, 15:12
Yes, the weight surprised me too. But that's what it says: 13 kilograms,not 13 pounds. And I thought my Cambo Legend 4x5" (6 kilograms) was heavy! In the Linhof books I've seen,these cameras are mostly mounted on those incredibly massive Linhof studio tripods that look like they were made out of a barrel of a battleship, so it could be true.

neil poulsen
7-May-2001, 02:03
I've seen these cameras, and they're huge and heavy. Even the 5x7's are heavy, let alone the 8x10's. I'm sure the weight that you quote is accurate.