PDA

View Full Version : Metered Light - Whats Up?

Michael Kadillak
10-Sep-2008, 16:55
Was hoping to acquire a pocket Spot meter from Metered Light and have left a number of messages over the last few months and nothing. Now the telephone number is disconnected. Anyone know what is going on? Are they still in business? Have they changed contact information?

Thanks

ASRafferty
10-Sep-2008, 17:15
From Paul Butzi's website:

Update: Sadly, the link I have (above) for Metered Light is now dead. To answer the obvious questions: No, I don't know what happened. No, I don't have a newer link that works. No, I don't know how you might buy a Pocket Spot other than buying one used. No, I don't know if Metered Light will come back to life.

http://www.butzi.net/reviews/pocketspot.htm

Steve Goldstein
10-Sep-2008, 17:18
http://meteredlight.blogspot.com/

David A. Goldfarb
10-Sep-2008, 17:53
I could use a spare probe for my Metrolux. I just wrote them a postcard, and I'll post here if I hear back.

Eric Woodbury
10-Sep-2008, 19:51
Metered Light is still around, sorta. ML is only two people and they have jobs. MetroLux is about gone, only a few units left and then it is history. Darkrooms just aren't that popular anymore, as you all well know. Probes are available. A few meters are available. I understand that emails and phone calls sometimes go un-answered. This is too bad. I have pretty good contact with the factory, so if there is something needed, send me a PM and I'll try to hook you up. The phone number should still work and the blog is the only website.

ljb0904
11-Sep-2008, 10:59
I just tried calling the number on the blog, I'd like to get a Pocket Spot if one's available, but the number was disconnected or "no longer in service" Bummer

Eric Biggerstaff
11-Sep-2008, 11:04
I'd like a Pocket Spot as well, dang it!

Eric Woodbury
11-Sep-2008, 11:35
You're right, the phone is disconnected. I don't know why. Karl, who does the manufacturing, is buried at his (real) job. I will call him and get the details. I know that some small amount of product is available and if I have to drive up there and assemble them myself, I will get it. Hang in there.

R Mann
11-Sep-2008, 11:48
I have had a pocket spot now for about a year - it is worth the wait and searching. It took me a while and a lot luck to find the one I have and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. It is so small, light, easy to use and accurate - a joy to use compare to the other meters I have. I do hope they make another run and it is well worth the price.

Terence McDonagh
11-Sep-2008, 11:52
I'd certainly buy one as well.

Aahx
11-Sep-2008, 12:06
As would I also purchase one if they are available. My old Minolta spot F is looking a bit long in the tooth, and am in need of a small compact durable replacment. I would look at a seconic, but they are just a bit too large for what I want. And the Pocket Spot would be perfect if I could obtain one.

John Ossi
11-Sep-2008, 12:45
I would buy one also. Maybe if enough such comments are posted it will encourage them to resume production.

Eric Woodbury
11-Sep-2008, 12:52
Okay, I'm convinced. I'll do everything I can to get these flowing again. Watch the blog for updates or feel free to bug me with PMs. I'll see that either the phone works or email; probably the email since there is nobody to answer the phone. Then I'll find out how many complete sets of parts there are and get those out.

http://meteredlight.blogspot.com/

Dan Schmidt
11-Sep-2008, 14:32
I'm very interested too

Baxter Bradford
11-Sep-2008, 14:37
I am also interested from across the pond in UK. Couldn't see a price. Any ideas? Appreciate your effort on this Eric.

Eric Woodbury
11-Sep-2008, 22:19
Okay, see the blog for changes. No phone and that is probably for keeps. You want to talk, send an email with your phone number and good times to call, and they will call you back on their nickel. New email address, too.

They are going to produce what they can now with what they have and get new critical parts on order for more. A list is going to come together for the back-orders. Not sure how this will work, but the letters and yahoo emails will be included, as well as the PMs from here.

MetroLux darkroom timers are available now, off-the-shelf, as supplies last.

Turner Reich
11-Sep-2008, 23:28
Doesn't it just burn you that so many would buy a product that's build-able and sale-able but the maker just doesn't want to?

Eugene van der Merwe
12-Sep-2008, 00:02
It's certainly a very simple solution to a problem other manuacturers approach with a miriad of buttons... Mind you, the buttons are good for creating as false sense of security, until you get to the lab and realise lots of buttons don't = lots of good exposures. I'll certainly be keeping and eye out for one of these little meters!

Frank Petronio
12-Sep-2008, 04:49
I like the concept but why would I want to spend $4-500 with a company that obviously doesn't have the time or ability to provide the minimum basics of customer service? They should sell their design to a small manufacturer who would provide decent support, now that the marketplace has shown their is desire.

Terence McDonagh
12-Sep-2008, 05:39
I'm guessing the profit margin would disappear if subbed out, or the price would be more than the market would bear. Much as it sounds like a lot of demand, I'm guessing total demand would still only be 30-40 per year, at best. Probably less.

Ash
12-Sep-2008, 09:42
I guess I'm sitting on the fence between Terence and Frank's points.

Either way, I want one. It's on my wishlist. Lets see how money goes. I'm also in the UK, so perhaps a multiple order may be possible.

Michael Nagl
12-Sep-2008, 14:09
Dropped my Gossen a week ago, so please put me on the list for the Pocket Spot, too, if there is such a list.

Eric Woodbury
12-Sep-2008, 22:50
There is and you're on it. I'd recommend others go to the blog and send an email to meteredlight@gmail.com

The phone IS dead and will stay that way. Nobody to answer it. If you want to hear from Metered Light, email your phone number and a good time to call and they'll call you back.

cowanw
24-Oct-2008, 16:14
Got a spotmeter: It's a model without the lanyard holder. but I give this a huge thumbs up. A real beauty for travel. I am one happy camper.
Regards
Bill

Michael Kadillak
24-Oct-2008, 16:28
Got a spotmeter: It's a model without the lanyard holder. but I give this a huge thumbs up. A real beauty for travel. I am one happy camper.
Regards
Bill

Pleased that someone got one. I can only hope that more will come.

Cheers!