PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Series D curtain

bbjorkum
10-Sep-2008, 13:50
I recently bought a 4x5 Graflex Series D. It's complete with Graflok back and looks rather nice. I noticed that at chip had broken off the ground glass, but didn't give it much attention, as I thought it was broken many years ago. However, this piece of glass emerged from the lower curtain roll when I tried to wind the shutter. As carefully as I was, the glass had penetrated the curtain. The holes are not that big. What sort of material should I use to mend it? I'm not keen to use gaffa tape ...

jnantz
10-Sep-2008, 14:07
I recently bought a 4x5 Graflex Series D. It's complete with Graflok back and looks rather nice. I noticed that at chip had broken off the ground glass, but didn't give it much attention, as I thought it was broken many years ago. However, this piece of glass emerged from the lower curtain roll when I tried to wind the shutter. As carefully as I was, the glass had penetrated the curtain. The holes are not that big. What sort of material should I use to mend it? I'm not keen to use gaffa tape ...

from what i understand the curtain is made of a rubberized cloth ...
fred lustig makes new curtains for these cameras and if your camera
needs it, he will re-furbish the shutter mechanism for not too much money.

you can find his phone number and address at graflex.org by searching
with his name. if you haven't been to graflex.org, someone might have asked
a similar question.

great camera ( i love mine! )
john

bbjorkum
10-Sep-2008, 14:12
Yes, it's probably worth a try to talk to Fred. Although it's rather funny to ship the camera back accross the Atlantic, when it just crossed it ... :)

Wayne Crider
11-Sep-2008, 20:20
Probably something that would work on a bellows and dried but was elastic would work. I'm thinking that a good chance to find something would be cloth stores. I also know that there are tubes of vinyl repair for car seats and leather sofas available at cloth and auto stores.

Ole Tjugen
11-Sep-2008, 22:55
Bjarte, it's time to tour the sex shops...

There's a product called "Liquid Latex" occasionally sold in some of these. The black version is very good for treating bellows leaks - dries to elastic rubber. A thin layer won't be completely opaque, but it will be opaque enough to do the job well.

When dry the surface must be treated with something to remove the stickiness. Furniture polish works, or in the case of an old Graflex there is likely to be enough dust inside already that it's "autocoating".

bbjorkum
14-Sep-2008, 16:37
Now, how do you know that?

Glenn Thoreson
14-Sep-2008, 18:56
Though I don't know what to recommend, short of a new curtain, I can say this: Whatever you use must not be at all sticky and must not increase the thickness of the material. It will bind. Have you posted your question on the graflex.org help board? If I'm not mistaken, Bert Saunders may be able to help.