PDA

View Full Version : Help to get Whole Plate working

Andrew M
9-Sep-2008, 23:11
i have been wanting to get an 8x10 for some time but for whatever reasons i havnt as yet,-new V old, cost of ebony V whatever other brand, perhaps Shen i was thinking for the cost benifits andi also like to shoot panoramic 4x10., ebony is really out of the question at $8000 or so

however i do have this old TP whole plate and i did come across an article or two where it says some people prefer the aspect ratio of this format over 5x7 and 8x10 and thought why not try to use what i already have. but i havnt been able to find any film so i figure i may have to cut down some 8x10 which seems a bit of waste (and extra trouble) but ah well.

so i am hoping some people here may be able to help me on my way to using this camera, actually i think of it as almost a work of art in itself it is so nicely put together with beautifull timber and grain. upon deciding that i would try and use it i have been checking it over and come across a few problems that i need to solve first.

firstly i looked at putting it on a tripod, i have an old TP tripod in very good condition but the parts on the base of the camera (in Fig's E & F) are pointing the wrong direction for my tripod to connect into them. and even if they were in the correct direction they seem a little close together although i think the tripod will flex that small amount. in fig F the space between the 'S' (that look like 5's) is shorter than the space between the 'L' . the hand drawn H indicates the hole that take the tripod and are pointed in line within the shorter 'S' space.

this however matters little, in as much as i would prefer to fit a modern tripod (i am thinking a Berlebach) as i have a half plate camera with a simular old tripod and it is i feel a disaster waiting to happen if i was to be using it and not a display. i tape up various points on it as the slightest touch or movement makes the whole thing colapse.

so does anyone know if this base was designed for the standard old tripod or something different? how to undo those lugs? i tried with a spanner but they are tight as, i presume its neccessary to undo the screws around the outer ring? and perhaps they undo from the other side? then a desicion to add some extensions about 20mm (in place of those lugs to take a tripod) and atatch a plate disk onto them with a modern tripod thread in the center. the reason for the extension is so the camera can close with the shutter still on the camera. the lens will have to be removed though. what thickness of plate material should be used for it to be sturdy? i was thinking of trying to get a brass disk in keeping with the rest of the camera. another option i thought is to atatch the disk without any spacers (flat on the camera base) but that would mean i can not close the camera with the old shutter on ther camera but perhaps ok if i upgrade the lens board area to take modern shutters and lens.

then, i shone a torch inside and the bellows appear very good-no light leaks apparent in them at all, but unfortunately the shutter curtain, whilst looking like it has been replaced or new looking, is made from the incorect material i beleive (no rubber type backing), as the torch light shines through the weave of the material. that brought me to quick halt as to being able to use or try it straight away or anytime soon!

also there are light leaks between the shutter and the timber behind it (because i dont know what the parts names are i have called it 'part B' in fig C). it may just need a screw tightening as if a little pressure is applied to the shutter, the gap closes up. perhaps it needs some light baffle material placed between them as well? the next light leak is between the 'part A' in fig C and the front standard (it shows through the top and presumably the bottom) as shown in fig A. there is a velvet type material where the arrow is pointing and i assume if this is replaced it may prevent the light last light leak. what material is best used for this? light baffle from micro tools or some kind of velvet from a shop that sell various cloth?? i think light baffle material may not slide as well as a velvet but i am not sure i am able find such velvet or felt, whatever it is.

because the shutter needs new curtain material it got me to thinking that if the camera could take modern shutters and lens it would be near or just as good as a new modern camera in function. i thought i can perhaps get some timber from a specialty timber yard here that would match the mahogony and i could remake part B in fig C to take a lens board. although part B does not detatch at the moment, it only moves sideways to a point and stops, i think it will need to be unscrewed from somewhere. if i needed to remake the whole assembly i could do that also but where does one sourse the brass tooth peices!? one is like a comb on part B and the other groved on flat on part A.

it seems a good idea to me to fit a lens board but what type do i fit? i hear about all the different brands and they mean little to me apart from they are different names-copal-linholf-technica ect ect ect. which type of board should i get (and from where?)and what size are they? the part B in fig C is about 120mm top to bottom (on its side in the picture) is that enough to take a modern lens board?

part B has the knob and turns to make a slight amount of shift about 12-15mm each way--not much?

also what is the small brass part for on the film holders? its not a clear picture but shown in fig D. i have a number of these holders and they all appear in good shiny condition with inserts for the various other formats but one is missing this part. but i cant fathom what it is used for? the holders do need sheets to hold film i was thinking of getting some aluminium cut, painting black. what thickness is considered normal? the holders seem to have about 2.5-3mm depth.

the rear frame for the ground glass has a spring mechanisium (Fig B) is this normal? my other does not have it. it kinda gets in the way for loading the film holders but i guess it wont flap around in the wind. quite a strong spring too so it takes some holding open while placing the film holder in.

looking over the camera i found that it has rear swing and tilt of course. the front obviously tilt and rise and fall and just a small amount of shift (how much shift is useful?) and then i was reading a broucher on the royal ruby and it said it has front swing as well, so i looked closely at it but it wasnt apparent to me. i started to fiddle with it and once uncliped from its guides (in the side struts) it did swing by pressing against its spring type struts--seems kinda hoky but once the knobs are tightend it seems to hold firm. i nearly thought i was doing it wrong but the broucher seems to say its meant to swing.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/retrotography/100-0002_IMG_8.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/retrotography/100-0001_IMG_8.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/retrotography/100-0004_IMG-2.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/retrotography/100-0002_IMG-4.jpg

Andrew M
9-Sep-2008, 23:13
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/retrotography/100-0006_IMG-3.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/retrotography/100-0005_IMG.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/retrotography/100-0007_IMG-1.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/retrotography/100-0008_IMG.jpg

Diane Maher
10-Sep-2008, 05:04
Wow!

I'm not sure where in the world you are located, but there is cut sheet film available for this format, sold by Ilford and Kodak.

Regarding the tripod mount, I have a whole plate camera that had the original tripod mount on it, but I had someone make a plate so that it could take a modern 3/8" tripod head screw. If you can find someone to do it, I say go for it.

Your holder in Fig. D, does that hinge open in some fashion? Perhaps you have what is called a bookform holder.

In Fig. A, it looks like you have some grooves on the front standard that might be causing your light leaks.

Lens boards: It might have to be custom made. As for the various names you mentioned, Linhof is a type of camera, Copal is a type of shutter. The size of the hole in your board will be determined by whatever size of shutter/lens you have.

Andrew M
10-Sep-2008, 05:32
WOW

yeah i realise its somewhat of a long post, with numerous questions, sorry about that...maybe i should have asked one question at a time but i thought 'what the hey' ..i might get lucky!

yes indeed they are bookform holders, made from mahogony and hold a sheet on each side, i am just not sure what that little brass thingy is as indicated.

i'm down in Australia, i havnt seen any of this film here anywhere, i noticed that there was one or two places mentioned overseas that were said to have it but i sent them an email and got no reply--maybe they dont ship!!

as for the lens board, i am wondering if there is a standard size or whether a particular name or brand is atatched to them. for example what type of lens board do Ebony use, shen heo ect ect are they all the same or different? please correct me if i am wrong but do modern large format camera that use these lens boards; does the lens board remain conected to each lens (particularly wide angle type lens with the large section behind the board?)whereby to change between lenses all that is required is to change out the lens with the board still conected to the lens?

Ole Tjugen
10-Sep-2008, 05:42
What you call a "lens board" is in this case the front plate of a Thornton-Pickard shutter. While they are interchangeable, it is more common to swap the whole Part B in your figure C for a different board with the appropriate size hole for a lens in shutter.

These cameras are not compatible with any common modern lens boards, so it will most likely have to be custom made. Getting an adapter board made is probably the best option - then you can use modern Linhof-type boards which are readily available on your camera. That makes it a lot easier to leave one board attached to each lens.

Sandeha
10-Sep-2008, 09:46
There ain't nothing to stop you ... You might find some useful suggestions here ...

http://www.sandehalynch.com/restoration.htm

You can get whole plate sheet film here ...

http://sheetfilm.be/

And lensboards or lensboard adaptors here ...

http://home.dejazzd.com/maperry/lensboards.html

Congrats on picking up a beaut camera. There's nothing to stop you using it to its fullest potential, though more modern film holders may help.

Andrew M
13-Sep-2008, 18:03
thanks Ole and Sandeha for you responce,
it has at least lead me in the direction to get closer to knowing what i need.

thanks also to others for the offers to buy, however its not a camera easily replaced i feel, or common to find but moreover i am very fond of it, and its in lovely condition just needing a little matainance after all these years. i would have difficulty parting with it if i was able to purchase an ebony with the money but i am in no way inclined to sell it off to go partly towards a relatively cheap 8x10 :rolleyes: . i am sure someone that wants to buy it would know enough and be able to help me with my inquires about the flocking/velvet material or having brass bits made or any other aspect :) .

(as Ole suggested) i was looking at the lens board adapters (there are so many!). this page for instance shows a few (some of them recessed which i likely wont need) but i am wondering if they are te best choice or something different (same thing in brass would be good haha). also in particular i was looking at the linhof toyo 45A as it appears to be 110mm square the others are 158mm.
http://www.ciao.com/Linhof_Lensboard_adapter_M_679_Technika_45__15414068. are any lenses likely to not fit through the opening for this size board?

i may still go with timber lensboard as Sandhe showed in the link, they suit this type of vintage camera better although i would likely make it myself as i would need to make a new part B anyway (wanting to keep the original as is) and i can think i can get some timber to match this old mahogony. however i was considering the linhof type board because then lenses could be used easily on other camera.
if using a timber board is it neccessary to make them only about 3.5 thick? seems very thin for strength! i mention because i notice on sk grimes page (http://www.skgrimes.com/lensmount/shutmt/index.htm) they mention the maximum thinkness to affix a copal shutter is 3.75mm

Sandhe i have been trying to find out if other film holders will fit this with no success. what ones would? are they all the same? not likely i am sure.

ebony have some interesting ones that can take whole plate or they have two others that will take cut portions of 8x10 film. ebony (http://www.ebonycamera.com/acc.html) half way down page

i am wondering in what way would modern film holders help me use the camera better? i am curious and puzzled. is it because you think they may be worn or have faults? something else? i can say that the holders i have appear in excelent condition (apart from one missing that part?), almost like they have not been used and barely a few cleaning or surface marks in the polish on most of them.

also that place you mention Sandhe for getting (whole plate) film seems to not have any available at the moment. they say one can pay for it and when it comes in they let you know. have you used them? if so how long does it normaly take for them to fill an order?

Sandeha
14-Sep-2008, 01:50
Andrew, if I remember aright, a fresh order for whole plate film was expected in September. I gather that orders are made only several times a year. You can email them to check dates.

At one time, film holders were not generic but made for the brand. There was little standardisation. My guess is that any from the period with wooden separators (like yours) are likely to vary a great deal in the depth to film plane distance (the T distance, is it called?) That's a variance that will affect focus. More so, obviously, if your bookform holders were made for glass plates rather than for sheet film.

I have four wooden sheet film holders with metal topped darkslides (a more modern style, though not the later plastic) three made by Kodak and one unnamed and they are consistent. I didn't mean to imply that yours wouldn't work, only that the more modern holders might allow for an easier workflow. ;)

Diane Maher
15-Sep-2008, 04:55
The Ilford whole plate film has been shipped for this year's order. The ordering period closed back at the end of June. However, some of the dealers probably have some in stock now.