PDA

View Full Version : Tank or tray

ignatiusjk
9-Sep-2008, 16:21
This is for all the 4x5 film folks out there. What do you prefer tank or tray developement? I've tried both and I'm trying to increase the resolution of my b&w negs. I used to use HC110 Del b with my 120 Panatomic X and liked the results. I never got the same type of resolution from my 4x5 negs.

Brian Ellis
9-Sep-2008, 16:27
Neither. BTZS tubes

reellis67
9-Sep-2008, 16:56
I like tanks for the ability to develop multiple negatives at once without having to resort to continuous agitation, but the volume of chemicals required is somewhat of a pain in the rear. Trays are great for using less volume, but if you wish to develop using anything other than constant agitation you have to have a lot of trays. I have both on hand and I use them both depending on the results that I want. I'm not sure that I would be happy with only one...

- Randy

Eric Woodbury
9-Sep-2008, 17:03
I've used Jobo expert tank for years, but I'm starting to work with homemade tubes. I like the price and the individual times I can give each sheet. I used trays before all of this, but I had my problems with trays and didn't care for that much dark.

jnantz
9-Sep-2008, 17:07
i like trays.
the biggest pain with trays
is putting the film in the water bath at first.
my film likes to stick together when it gets wet ..
but once separated i can process 35 sheets of film at once without a problem.

ymmv

MIke Sherck
9-Sep-2008, 17:39
My preference is also trays. Simple, cheap, and extremely versatile: with practice you can do minus, normal, and plus processing at the same time (I orient the film notches differently, then pull the appropriate sheets when their time is up and store them in water as stop until all the film is developed. Then it can all be fixed together.)

For the ultimate in developing, develop by inspection. Get each and every sheet exactly right, no guessing.

Mike

Ralph Barker
9-Sep-2008, 17:44
I have used trays for several decades, having had bad luck with one of the early tanks. Once you get the technique down, it's not a big problem to keep from scratching the film. Preferences for tanks (such as the HP CombiPlan), rotary drums, or BTZS-style tubes are just as valid, however.

Louie Powell
9-Sep-2008, 18:38
Trays - sort of. I use a slosher. HC-110, dilution H.

jasonjoo
9-Sep-2008, 21:10
I am no where near as qualified as the other posters here, but I've been using trays for the past few weeks and while the few minutes of quiet and solitude in the dark are nice, it is a big pain in the butt to develop using trays! As a side not, I do my processing in a make shift darkroom (which is my bathroom) and so even the easiest tasks are difficult to do. I'm looking at either the JOBO drums or the BTZS tubes right now!

CG
9-Sep-2008, 22:48
Tanks. I have the 8x10 one gallon stainless tanks. The 4 up 4x5 hangers fit for 4x5 work, as do the 2 up 5x7 hangers.

C

Turner Reich
10-Sep-2008, 01:56
All sizes in tanks with hangers, trays for just one or two. It takes quite a commitment to obtain the Kodak hard rubber tanks and the stainless steel hangers, perhaps a reason that many use trays. Ever try semi stand in a tray?

Paul H
10-Sep-2008, 03:08
A "daylight tray" works for me - a Paterson Orbital in other words.

Very economical with the chemicals, and very easy to use.

Gary L. Quay
10-Sep-2008, 04:24
I use tanks and hangers mostly. I recently picked up a Jobo CPP, and I have been giving that a try, but I like dip and dunk tanks because I can decide what level of agitation to use based in the chemical or desired look.

--Gary

cjbroadbent
10-Sep-2008, 05:35
Kodak 3 gallon tanks with D76 - for 30 odd years. Mostly because of the steel hangers for sheets and the basket of spirals for rolls. I always regretted not laying out for gas agitation. Despite all the mumbo-jumbo around manual agitation, I never achieved an 8x10 without turbulent edges.
Nowadays I get perfect edges in a Patterson Orbital over the kitchen sink. Added benefit to one-sheet-at-a-time development: You tend to think before you shoot. (I got some ten/eight Tmax today. $290 for 50 sheets)

climbabout
10-Sep-2008, 06:00
This is for all the 4x5 film folks out there. What do you prefer tank or tray developement? I've tried both and I'm trying to increase the resolution of my b&w negs. I used to use HC110 Del b with my 120 Panatomic X and liked the results. I never got the same type of resolution from my 4x5 negs.

I use homemade pvc tubes and pyrocat hd developer - 1.5/1/175 dilution for about 40min with initial agitation of 1.5 minute and 2 or thre short agitations at 1/3 or 1/4 intervals in the development cycle. You might want to do a search on apug - this development method has been well documented and discussed there. the mid tone local contrast from this method is remarkable, which gives the effect of greater detail and resolution.
Tim

reellis67
10-Sep-2008, 06:03
Ever try semi stand in a tray?

Bingo!

Merg Ross
10-Sep-2008, 07:59
My preference is for tray development by inspection. I tried tanks and hangers, but could never get a negative to match those done by tray development.

John Kasaian
10-Sep-2008, 09:52
I prefer trays for 4x5 and a Unicolor Processor with a print drum for 5x7 and larger. Why? For me, 4x5 is an easy format to shuffle (with some practice) and I've found the clippy thingys you need to do 4-up in the Unicolor drum kind of a hassle. All my ortho regardless of format gets souped in trays and developed by inspection under a red light.