PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 Suggestions

chris_4622
8-Sep-2008, 12:44
Hello all,

I'm just beginning to dip my toes in the ULF waters with a desire to move up to an 11x14 camera. I'm on a fact finding mission and I need your help.

At this point I am thinking of flexibility; being able to change the back to 7x11, and maybe even 5x7. I don't know what kind of bellows length would be desirable but I don't think I would go over a 600mm lens for the longest. Right now I have a 360mm lens with enough coverage so that would be my short lens for the two larger film sizes.

The thought here was when traveling I would only have to take one camera and three backs, film holders and three or four lenses.

I've thought about a Richard Ritter camera, light weight but I don't think the backs are removable.

Okay maybe this idea is not feasible, but that is why I'm here, to see what people here who use large cameras have to say.

thanks
chris

Richard M. Coda
8-Sep-2008, 13:25
I have an Arca-Swiss 8x10 with a custom Canham 11x14 back. So I can switch back to 8x10 by just changing the back and bellows. I also have an Arca 4x5 (whole camera), but can also take the 4x5 bellows and back (only) and have 3 formats is a rather small kit. See my blog for photos...

RichardRitter
8-Sep-2008, 15:12
The 11 x 14 back come off the box and rotate. And if you want the 7 x 17 or any other size pan back removable from the box that can be done. These camera are custom made to your needs. Have you see the user manual on the camera?

Allen in Montreal
8-Sep-2008, 15:25
I have an Arca-Swiss 8x10 with a custom Canham 11x14 back........

Richard, I would love to see a picture of that setup, it must be amazing??

eddie
8-Sep-2008, 15:34
chris,

i just began shooting ULF (11x14) one thing is for sure on a camera this size you would not want to take it out and shoot 5x7! it would be way better just to get a 5x7 camera.

while 7x11 is cool it is a PITA for sure....i had one. cutting down film is a pain, buying it from ilford is expensive and the holders are expensive and hard to find. you can buy 11x14 holders for about the same price as 7x11! just my opinion after using these set ups.

i had an 11x14 camera like this on (http://www.fiberq.com/cam/scovill/unk.htm)e that i borrowed fro my friend. i was okay but pretty big. the bellows were only about 25 inches. wobbled all over the place....BUT it had big 7.5 inch square boards. i now have an empire state (http://www.fiberq.com/cam/roc/empimp.htm). it has a smaller board but it is a bit sturdier and it has an extension rail (i am looking for it....i do not have one) so you get long bellows. it is too bad cause having a larger board is very important to me.....so you can use BIG ass old lenses with it!

i was thinking about eventually getting a chamonix with larger boards and front (lens board) rise like a deardorff has.

when you are looking keep your eyes out for plenty of bellows and large lens boards IMO.

eddie

John Bowen
8-Sep-2008, 16:20
Chris,

I would second Richard Ritter's advice that you spend $25 and purchase the DVD Manual for his cameras. It is available at www.circleofthesunproductions.com
Don't be afraid to give Richard Ritter a call. He can custom make you almost anything. He built me a 7x17 and 8x10, he has made me a 5x7 reducing back for my 8x10. He also gave me some wonderful advice regarding keeping my options open for future additional formats. For instance, I mentioned to Richard that I may want try 8x20 in addition to 7x17 and he advised me that if I was serious, I should purchase an 8x20 camera with a 7x17 reducing back. If I had purchased a 7x17 and later wanted to go to 8x20, I would have to purchase an additional bellows, but by buying the larger camera and a reducing back, the change to 8x20 would only entail an additional back.

Needless to say I HIGHLY recommend Richard Ritter and his cameras.

Good luck and welcome to ULF.

Richard M. Coda
8-Sep-2008, 16:28
Richard, I would love to see a picture of that setup, it must be amazing??

Go to my blog... there are photos there. And that's Randy Efros in one of the photos
(www.randyefros.com)... he's a good friend of mine, and was Brett Weston's last assistant.

http://rcodaphotography.blogspot.com/

Bruce Barlow
9-Sep-2008, 04:10
"The Richard Ritter Ultra Large Format Owner's Manual" DVD is only $15, including First Class Postage anywhere on this planet. Other planets extra, not compatible on DVD players in alternate universes.

It's a good introduction to the flexibility of the camera, and a good intro to the similarly-designed 8x10.

Available from www.circleofthesunproductions.com, and usually mailed the same day.

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Sep-2008, 07:54
I recently finished building my 2nd ULF camera. It is a Walnut 11x14 and my suggestion is to shoot only that format. These things are big! Mine is about 17 1/2" square and comes in at 16 lbs. By the time you get it set up and compose you really become selective about your images. I could not see putting a reducing back on mine. I would just take whatever system I wanted to shoot.

With a smaller system, like an 8x10 for example, a 5x7 back makes sense to me. Remember the holders you have to carry. The weight adds up quickly.

Are you going to be using this in the field or in the studio? If you are shooting in the studio then maybe it makes sense to have all of this done. Even I wouldn't haul additional backs and holders in the field with my 11x14. And I'm crazy!!! Just my 2 cents.

Jim

chris_4622
9-Sep-2008, 14:01
Thanks for the replies. As I mentioned I am at the beginning of this process and you guys have given me some things to think about.

Richard Coda, I looked at your blog and I like your set-up. It reminds me of Kerry Thalmann's 7x17. Can you tell me if reducing backs are available for your 11x14 set-up? Can you use it in the portrait position? How compact is it folded? If no reducing backs are available I could use the base and front standard, take off the back and bellows and put on a 5x7 rig.

Richard Ritter, I was aware of and like your cameras and will order the DVD to familiarize myself with the workings.

I realize an 11x14 is going to be around 18"sq. How about the rails? How compact I can fold the camera is a concern since I do hike. Though more compact I'm going to stay away from old wooden folders. I like the two Richards cameras and will look more closely at those two options and think more about my needs.

I appreciate the help given. This forum is great!

chris

chris_4622
9-Sep-2008, 14:05
Jim, I made my 5x7 camera and was thinking of making an 11x14 but decided against it for a few reasons. I should have the funds available next year to buy a rig and right now my time is better spent photographing and learning to do that well.

Richard M. Coda
9-Sep-2008, 14:07
Richard Coda, I looked at your blog and I like your set-up. It reminds me of Kerry Thalmann's 7x17. Can you tell me if reducing backs are available for your 11x14 set-up? Can you use it in the portrait position? How compact is it folded? If no reducing backs are available I could use the base and front standard, take off the back and bellows and put on a 5x7 rig.

Chris:

The camera folds up to the depth of the back frame. Remember, this is a back (and bellows), not a complete camera. The rest is my Arca 8x10. To duplicate this setup you would also have to have an Arca 8x10. FYI, the back (with bellows) costs as much as a new Canham 11x14. As it is a Canham back, you can probably buy reducing backs from Keith that will work perfectly.

John Bowen
9-Sep-2008, 14:10
"The Richard Ritter Ultra Large Format Owner's Manual" DVD is only $15, including First Class Postage anywhere on this planet.

OOPS, I should have checked before I wrote my post. :eek: Thanks for correcting me!

Mark Sawyer
9-Sep-2008, 16:13
I'll note my fondness for my 11x14 Burke & James. While it's a touch heavy at 21.6 pounds and some of the movements are a bit clumsy to adjust, it does have all the movements even a demanding photographer could want, and a long bellows stretch at 43".

Most importantly (to me), its 9x9-inch lens board is big enough to hold a large lens and the large packard shutter the big barrel lenses take (my 4-inch aperture packard is 8x8 inches), and at that size, it's also pretty easy making an adapter board for 6x6-inch boards, a pretty common 8x10 size.

alec4444
9-Sep-2008, 21:53
I remember thinking about "hiking" with my Wisner Tech Field before I bought it. It's one of the heavier ones, at 30 pounds. But what's 30 pounds? Nuthin' on a backpack!

After I bought it, reality set in. To support that 30lb. camera, I need a 25lb Reis A100 tripod with a 5lb. head. Then there's ~ another 7-10 pounds tied up in film holders. Most of the modern lenses that have a max aperture larger than f16 are in Copal 3, so a nice assortment of glass adds another 5-10 pounds. Then there's the darkcloth, the lightmeter, some cable releases, some tools.......

If you're even thinking you might like the notion of hiking with an 11x14, you've just narrowed your options down to the Ritter or the Chamonix. But plan well for the rest of the accoutrements required!

I have no regrets, the format is amazing. On a 250 pound rated luggage cart, it rolls pretty well. :D

Miguel Curbelo
9-Sep-2008, 22:56
If you're even thinking you might like the notion of hiking with an 11x14, you've just narrowed your options down to the Ritter or the Chamonix. But plan well for the rest of the accoutrements required!

My 11x14" Sands Hunter weighs 11lb...:)